Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mexico silver medal - very cool, high relief - any info?

This silver medal is made by the Mexico City mint. The high relief is fantastic. Curious if anyone here knows why it was made, how many were minted and what the reverse depicts. I apologize for the iPhone pics and thanks for any info. Jim

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken

Comments

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the house in Zorro - the second movie, but also the original TV show. Cool.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a little something about Mexican medals as that is a sideline of mine (between searching for coins).

The medal was (obviously) minted in 1975, thus is not listed in Grove, which ended in 1971. But I have found the mintage in silver was 200 pieces. (And the "Mo" means it was minted at the Mexican Mint, not a private mint.) I don't know if any were minted in other metals, but I doubt it. There may be 1-2 in bronze, but they would be patterns. There may be some minted in gold, probably for executives or officials. I've never seen one that wasn't silver.

The reason for minting was the 50th anniversary of the government department that regulates banks and insurance companies. The reverse is the patio of a colonial building, probably their headquarters.

The SHCP (Finance Ministry) is like the Department of the Treasury in the USA.
  • Options
    That is great info, thanks. Mintage of 200 makes me very happy. image
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H.L. Mencken
  • Options
    That's silver? How much does it weigh? Man that's some serious toning or is it really dirty?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    oakcoinoakcoin Posts: 187 ✭✭
    looks like it's nicely toned
  • Options
    Very nicely, seriously toned. image Much darker then what I'm used to seeing in silver. I love it, but at first glance, thought it was something else.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I was hoping you were insinuating that it could be platinum but it weighs in at 24.8g so I think that puts it solidly in the silver camp. It is a pretty color in hand.
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a pretty neet piece

Steve
    Promote the Hobby