Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What equipment do I need to self-inspect cards before submitting?

I know that several of you are known for having a keen eye when it comes to submissions. I was wondering specifically what equipment I need to buy in order to do a good job pre-inspecting at home before I submit my cards. I have seen people discuss magnifying loupes, lighting, etc. But I was hoping for specifics as there are tons of these gadgets on Ebay.

if you are well versed in this topic, I would appreciate a beginners kit suggestion and a professional type kit.

Chuck

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i have had great success using a 7-inch, um.........plastic ruler. and a 8X magnification lupe which was manufactured in Germany. the common sense was developed over a period of 50+ years, however, i'm still at a loss as to using it effectively 100% of the time.
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    Rosary beads
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eyes and good light for me. Anything else, if it involves loupe's, blacklight etc I just leave that up to the grading Gods. If I need blacklight or loupe's to see flaws on cards, at least in my case, I'm in the wrong hobby.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rosary beads >>

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bright light to check for surface issues, (sunlight works good too) and I have a loupe as well to check for corner wear.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a ten sided die.
    Doohh
    Its a flawed system I see now
    Thats why I never got any 10s.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use a ten sided die. >>

But is 10 on any of the sides of the die? image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I go with the rabbits foot.

Honestly, like itzagoner said, common sense is probably the best tool, along with patience. It's amazing to me to see some of the crap that is out on EBAY that begs the question "Why would someone ever submit this ? " For the most part my eyes are good enough to see a touched corner, rough edge, bad centering, etc. Do your research on the cards that you are going to sub. Don't sub anything that you can't at least get your money back in the condition the card is in "at first glance". I'm certainly no expert, as my latest sub I missed a hairline crease on an otherwise virtually perfect card though. If you are thinking of subbing a card that is worthless in a 9, don't sub it unless you have a handful of similar cards to sub. I would just wait. If you have 5 or more cards like that and your very picky, one might hit a 10 and pay for the sub. Also, I would keep collecting/building cards worthy of subbing, and wait for a $6 special on a bigger submission. Then you have a little wiggle room, and you should be able to get your money back on the ones that don't come back 10s.

ps - Any card you are submitting that you are looking for a 10 on, better be perfect. If you look at it for 15 seconds and can't find ANY flaw on the corners/edge/centering both front and back and tilt and there are no printing problems including print dots, than maybe it is worth measuring precisely and looking at under maginifcation. Hope this helps.

- Jeff
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If you check out this video it gives you an idea as to how PSA grades your cards. I pattern my pre-screening process after this. Dark room, single light source (I use a Magnifying Desk Lamp), and sometimes use a 10x loupe.

I typically start with about 100 cards that I would like to have graded, then work through the stack filtering out all of the OC cards. Then I move to examining the corners, edges and surface (wrinkles). After it's all said and done I end up with about 15-20 cards that I feel comfortable submitting.
  • Options

<< <i>If you check out this video it gives you an idea as to how PSA grades your cards. I pattern my pre-screening process after this. Dark room, single light source (I use a Magnifying Desk Lamp), and sometimes use a 10x loupe.

I typically start with about 100 cards that I would like to have graded, then work through the stack filtering out all of the OC cards. Then I move to examining the corners, edges and surface (wrinkles). After it's all said and done I end up with about 15-20 cards that I feel comfortable submitting. Then I send them in to PSA and sit at the computer hitting the refresh button so I don't miss the moment my submission pops. >>

Fixed it for you. Your welcome. image

I'd add to the discussion if I ever did submit any cards to PSA. image

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd add to the discussion if I ever did submit any cards to PSA. image >>

i'd highly recommend you give it a try. if you'd prefer some good ol' fashioned angst or you've just grown tired of hitting your thumb with a hammer.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Of course that would require you to actually OPEN a pack every so often! image
  • Options

<< <i>

i'd highly recommend you give it a try. if you'd prefer some good ol' fashioned angst or you've just grown tired of hitting your thumb with a hammer. >>

I much prefer reading about everyone else's experiences here. Plus, that would mean opening some of my unopened stash. image

Collecting:
  • Options

<< <i>

Of course that would require you to actually OPEN a pack every so often! image >>

I already anticipated your next comment. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    i guess the required equipment for Mr. Stash would be a pocket watch and a hypnotist. image
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    A spoon and sharp razor blade will make a lot of cards worthy of slabbing
  • Options

<< <i>i guess the required equipment for Mr. Stash would be a pocket watch and a hypnotist. image >>

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Collecting:
  • Options
    Posting your candidates on here will save you a lot of money. A good scan will let the pros here help talk you out of any subjective feelings towards a card.

Many times if have posted and not placed as much significance on a print for , for example, where someone on boards noted that it would be a show stopper for a 9.

Bright light and loupe and ruler too.

If there was a book about all the subtleties and nuances about one series to the next, we'd all work at PSA. That just comes with experience.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I always start with a buncha cards and whittle em down until there's ones I think are worth subbing. Then I go through those again and repeat the process until I don't have any cards left to sub.

I actually have 30 cards or so I should post up here. I tried doing that not too long ago and royally screwed it up. Maybe I'll throw em up here tomorrow and let the eagle eyes help me out.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    Someone made a comment about making sure you can get your money back on your first guess grade -- my only addendum to that would be even if you think you have a 10, assume for selling purposes you are getting a 9.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I have pretty much given up subbing cards. When my 8s look like others 10s then I just get too frustrated. As well, the last batch I sent in with another person, SOMEONE damaged half the cards and I lost money. And I will just say, the damage was not done by the person who subbed for me. That's all I will say about that.

But to those of you who sub, good luck to you all and I hope you make lots of dough!
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    A cup, b/c no matter what tools you buy, a swift kick there is unavoidable