Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question about PSA 5 Grading Standards

Based on these stated standards, should 5's ever have crease or wrinkle? Just bought a PSA 5 card with slight surface wrinkle but thought this issue was not possibe based on "5" written standard.

Card in question has slight wrinkle near Pirates logo.

EX 5: Excellent
On PSA EX-5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out-of-register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

(No mention of possible crease/wrinkle)

VG-EX 4: Very Good-Excellent
A PSA VG-EX 4 card's corners may be slightly rounded. Surface wear is noticeable but modest. The card may have light scuffing or light scratches. Some original gloss will be retained. Borders may be slightly off-white. A light crease may be visible. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I THINK "Surface wear or printing defects are more visible" covers the surface wrinkle. I believe a "surface wrinkle" happens during the printing process.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

• << <i>I THINK "Surface wear or printing defects are more visible" covers the surface wrinkle. I believe a "surface wrinkle" happens during the printing process. >>

+1

I once missed a slight wrinkle on an otherwise perfect card and it came back a 5.5
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    How would one ascertain a wrinkle caused by printing process vs. wrinkle caused post-printing process? Shouldn't "5" standard explicitly state the the possibility of a small wrinkle--the cause of which is inconsequential and really not determinable to begin with?
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't "5" standard explicitly state the the possibility of a small wrinkle-

Sure if PSA is going to allow a wrinkle on a PSA 5 graded card, then they should clearly state that so we can make informed decisions on what to get graded. Kind of like saying "if gum moves in a wax pack, it probably won't be graded.. image
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PSA 5 Carlton Rookie has a very small wrinkle on the top border, like the wrinkle is about a centimeter long.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PSA is free to decide if a barely noticeable wrinkle drops a card to a 5 or lower, or apparently higher if they decide.

You are simply not going to be able to specify for sure what a card is going to grade.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Wrinkle or not that is a very nice looking card...I am surprised it didn't get the .5.

That is also a good example of the type of card that some less than reputable dealers/ebayers would crack out and sell as a raw NM or better.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    That Clemente is why I think 5's can be the best value around. Absolutely gorgeous.

"Molon Labe"