Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Claude Raymond PSA 8 - a question for 1971 Topps collectors

Gents

There is an ebay listing for a Claude Raymond PSA 8 with a starting amount of $1,300. I know this is one of the rarest cards in high grade (would post a link here if I could figure out how) for the set and am curious if anyone is tempted to move on this item. I am less than 15 cards away from completing the graded set and wonder if I should sit happily with my way-off-center PSA 6 version of the card which set me back $14.99.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Your pal
jr

Comments

• Options
    Ask yourself if this addition will move you up in the ranking and if the cost to do so is more than Offset by the satisfaction.

What's the weighting in the Raymond? In terms of overall grade?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it would move at that price. That was the market price back in 2008. Recent sales have been in the $750 range. To be fair though, there's no VCP history since Dec 2012. So if one were to sell through a straight auction, I think it will be in the $1000 range. It's a tough card, so the pricing is volatile. Just depends on how many are looking for that card at any given time.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    centering ain't near good enough for that price. a well-centered PSA 8 of Raymond at that price would quite likely be sold and owned by now. and lookin' for bumpage.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>centering ain't near good enough for that price. a well-centered PSA 8 of Raymond at that price would quite likely be sold and owned by now. and lookin' for bumpage. >>

I agree.

Whether a PSA 8 is worth $1300 is not as relevant as whether this card is a worthy PSA 8 worthy of your collection and in turn worth that kind of money. I don't understand how that card did not get the OC Qualifier, but you just never know. Like goner said, that card is incorrectly graded IMO. However, there will always be a certain number of people who want the grade over the card so it might sell
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    If the minimum grade in your set is 8 (I don't know if it is), you're going to have to take the plunge eventually.

But if you are going to spend that kind of cash on it, wait for a copy you're in love with.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the minimum grade in your set is 8 (I don't know if it is), you're going to have to take the plunge eventually.

But if you are going to spend that kind of cash on it, wait for a copy you're in love with. >>

I agree. I am missing one PSA 8 in 59, and three in 1960. All are expensive commpns. I have passed on many while waiting for the right card. You can buy a nice Mantle for $1300.
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Good stuff fellas. I aspire to be the guy who can drop $1,300 on a Claude Raymond but probably not in this lifetime. I will be interested to see what the seller ultimately nets. Right now my priorities are the other 15 cards and to find Ryan and Munson in a solid PSA 7.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good stuff fellas. I aspire to be the guy who can drop $1,300 on a Claude Raymond but probably not in this lifetime. I will be interested to see what the seller ultimately nets. Right now my priorities are the other 15 cards and to find Ryan and Munson in a solid PSA 7. >>

You might want to add the Raymond to the list of 7s you pursue. You should be able to pick up a nicely centered 7 for slightly under $100. It would upgrade your 6 and not set you back a ton.

Good luck!