Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A good transaction on eBay thread -- my first soccer card! If you know about soccer cards chime in p

So there seems to be a lot of negative eBay stories on here so I thought I would share a good eBay transaction. I generally don't buy much from international sellers, I have only done so once before and that was because I didn't bother to look where the card was coming from. I have been looking to add a soccer card to my collection for a while now and narrowed it down to either a 2003 Ronaldo or a 2004 Messi either PSA or BGS graded. There are a few of them with high BIN's but they don't come up for auction that frequently. I noticed this one was being sold by an international seller and put it in my watch list. Since the seller had good feedback I decided to put a snipe on the card and hope for the best. I ended up winning the card for about 1/3 of my maximum bid, so I was very excited when I saw the auction result after getting off work. I actually won a separate auction for another ungraded Messi card and some unopened packs from the same set from the same seller. At this point, I was pretty eager to have the card but shipping was expected to be about 2-4 weeks. I was all set to be patient since I wasn't expecting the card for a while but a week later I decided to check tracking info just to see where the card was at in its international journey. I was pleasantly surprised to see it had arrived in the US. In fact from China to my mailbox it ended up only taking 1 week for me to receive the card! The seller packed my cards and unopened packs safely and even threw in a couple of random soccer cards as a bonus without telling me. If anyone ever is looking for soccer (or tennis cards) I would endorse this seller. His (or her) eBay seller name is jason.kiddhl

Anyway, for those who know about soccer cards: Can anyone tell me about this card? In the little I know I believe this is considered to be one of Messi's best RC's. I believe the same set had multiple Messi cards in it but this was the one that commanded the highest prices. Does anyone know how many of this set and specifically this card were printed? I am pretty darn happy with the card as I feel the subgrades are very strong for a BGS 8.5. I consider Centering and Corners to be the two most important subgrades so for them both to be 9.5 is nice for me.

Thanks for letting me share.

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/2004-05PaniniMegacracks71LionelMessiBGS85_zps722e19a7.jpg.html]image[/URL]
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Sweet card. Is the back in English, or Spanish or Italian? Being Portuguese, I'm a big Ronaldo fan. Did you pull any of him from those packs?
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Great card. I actually think I got a bgs 8.5 ronaldo from that same seller. I remember being reluctant because the seller was from China... But had no issues. I bought a few of these raw from Spanish sites. They were much cheaper but the definition of "mint" is not universal. I got 2 that ended up getting psa 9s.. But a few that wouldn't grade better than a 3. Congrats on the pick up. I'm amazed in how soccer prices have gone up lately. Especially modern cards like these
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card you've got there, thanks for sharing. Yes, that is the best Messi RC out there to get. It can get confusing based on the labeling since PSA has grouped different sets into the same labeling, but the one you have is the "Panini Mega Cracks, #71". The second best Messi RC is the "Panini Este Stickers, NNO". The others include:

Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campio - Campions, #35 [Catalan variant]
    Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campio, #62 [Catalan variant]
    Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campio - Autograf #89 (auto is on all of them and is a facsimile) [Catalan variant]
    Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campeon - Campeones, #35 [Spanish variant]
    Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campeon, #62 [Spanish variant]
    Panini Mega Cracks - Barca Campeon - Autografo #89 [Spanish variant]
    Mundi Cromo Fichas Liga, #617
    Mundi Cromo Top Liga - Glossy, #195, Francisco J. Munoz Llompart/Lionel Messi RC/Daniel Cancela Rodriguez/Borja Fernandez Fernandez
    Mundi Cromo Top Liga - Matte, #195, Francisco J. Munoz Llompart/Lionel Messi RC/Daniel Cancela Rodriguez/Borja Fernandez Fernandez

The #617 Mundi Cromo is your basic dime-a-dozen entry level RC for Messi and sells for the lowest price. So far, there hasn't been a premium noticeable on the Catalan vs. Spanish versions of the Barca cards. Neither BGS nor PSA labels them correctly yet, distinguishing between the two varieties. The Matte finish Mundi Cromo Top Liga #195 sells for a bit more than the Glossy variety.

*Edit to say that there is also the supposed 2004 UK Traditions card out there, but so far I'm not convinced it is a legit issue.

• Options

Incidentally, the list price in this BGS 9.5 2004 Este is beyond insane. I would consider it a very strong sale if the actual price made it to 5% of the list price.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    DanBesette--Thanks! I am happy with the card. I haven't opened any of the packs yet. I actually enjoy collecting unopened so I am looking to get an unopened box of this product. I will probably leave the packs I received sealed at least until I get a box to replace them. The next soccer card on my radar is the 2003 Ronaldo. I actually was an underbidder to a PSA 9 Ronaldo Megacracks RC a few months ago.

Eagles33--Yes, this seller seems to have sold quite a few of these cards. Do you have any idea how rare (or not rare these cards are)? I agree on not trusting the grading scales of online sellers (domestic or international). Now that I have my Messi card I am ready for soccer card prices to take offimage

miwlvrn--Thanks for the great information. Like I said in the original post, I am a novice soccer card collector so it is interesting learning about the variations. List prices are generally unrealistic no matter what book you look at. Whenever possible I like to look at previous sales on eBay as a general guide to what I should pay for something. Even with all the talk of shillers and questionable practices I still think completed eBay sales offer the easiest access to quick realistic prices on cards.
    Steve
  • Options
    I'm not sure how rare it is.. I don't think its over produced like most modern cards but I don't thinks nearly as rare as I once thought. The card never showed up on eBay for a long time.. But once sales started to pick up they started coming out of the woodwork. Since it's a foreign card we see less of them for sale here in the states. There was a time where there was some nice arbitrage opportunities buying these on Spanish sites and selling them on US eBay... But those sellers picked up on this. I think the market in these has stabilized a bit. I saw a bgs 9.5 sell at an insane price. I sold 2 psa 9s for 700 each and think 10s sell for about 1000-1500... So there is definitely a strong market for these.
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    No problem, glad to help.

Good points from eagles. As we've discussed in several threads before, it is a pretty big crapshoot buying from the foreign market, especially Spain and Italy, since their grading standards are pretty wacky sometimes. Like you see on the relatively new Ronaldo thread by a google-translate-utilizing would-be seller, many times the cards for sale on Euro sites are very over-represented. It probably contributes some to why the sales of certain cards are experiencing such high prices. You might have to take on the risk of picking up a lot of expensive raw cards before one of them actually turns out to be grade-worthy once in hand, and some of that cost gets passed along (i.e., when you sell your graded good one, you're including some cost you incurred in all the midgrade ones stacked up too). Similarly, a knowledgeable buyer who knows about the potential for getting burned by over-represented cards from overseas probably pays a bit more on a graded card like the Mega Cracks Messi or Ronaldo since that way he can be sure of what he is getting. I think as more of these big-time Euro RC's that make it over to the North American market, there will probably be less risk in buying raw ones since there will be many more sellers who understand local condition grading, and the sale prices of the graded ones might in turn take a slight dip or at least level out.

• Options
    miwlvrn or slum 22, can you offer me a short list of some Ronaldo RCs? I'm thinking of picking one up, but don't know where to start.
  • Options
    I would go with the 2003 mega craques for ronaldo rc. 2003 panini sticker is a nice inexpensive option.. About 25 bucks
  • Options

<< <i>I would go with the 2003 mega craques for ronaldo rc. 2003 panini sticker is a nice inexpensive option.. About 25 bucks >>

OK, but 2003 is the year to go with?
  • Options
    I see some 03 Upper Deck cards on ebay showing him with Man U. They seem pretty inexpensive. Are they not worth it? Also what is CAMPIONI DI FUTURO CALCIO ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I would go with the 2003 mega craques for ronaldo rc. 2003 panini sticker is a nice inexpensive option.. About 25 bucks >>

OK, but 2003 is the year to go with? >>

The 2002 Panini Stickers - Futebol 2002-03, card #306, is a lot less expensive than the 2003 Panini Mega Craques. Both of these are considered his Rookie Card. There are several different ones from the 2003 Upper Deck Manchester United set, between base cards and parallels, but even though they're 2003 like the Mega Craques, I consider them a 2nd year card as compared w/ the 2002 Panini Stickers & 2003 Mega Craques. I think his RC has to be one of the cards w/ Sporting rather than Man.U.

• Options

<< <i>I see some 03 Upper Deck cards on ebay showing him with Man U. They seem pretty inexpensive. Are they not worth it? Also what is CAMPIONI DI FUTURO CALCIO ? >>

The Campioni di Futuro cards are sort of a B.S. mass-produced oddball. Calcio refers to it being a soccer card within the set of cards that includes other sports. Same set as the B.S. Sidney Crosby Pre-RC. There is a Malkin in that set too. It has multiple parallels w/ different background colors, but they carry as much value as the unlicensed 1990 oddball baseball cards that flooded the market, no more than a dollar or so.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    DanBessette--Listen to eagles33 and miwlvrn as they know a thousand times more about soccer cards than I do. I am mainly a basketball/baseball/football collector. I just wanted to get the Messi card because I think he is (along with Ronaldo) likely going to go down as this generation's best soccer player. Since I had a chance to get one of his RC's in a nicely graded condition I went for it. I have been patiently watching out for this card for probably 6 months or more in my saved searches list and finally got one at a decent price. The 2003 Megacracks card for Ronaldo is the one that I would go for (the same one being advertised unsuccessfully on this board by the international seller) though. It seems that is the one with the most value now and I believe it will likely hold that value and rise in the future. Now that I have the Messi RC I will keep my eyes out for a good deal on a Ronaldo. I will post scans of the back of the Messi when I get a chance.

eagles33 and miwlvrn--Thanks for the introductory class on soccer cards! You guys seem to know your stuff. That's why I asked for the soccer card experts to contribute in my thread title as I wanted to gain some knowledge on the subject. I appreciate you guys giving your input.
    Steve
  • Options
    No problem. Im not an expert either. I'm actually in the same boat as you and just wanted to pick up a few rookie cards of players that could go down as all time greats. I actually know more about a few cards than I do about the sport... Here are the soccer cards that cracked my rookie card list of all time great athletes. The list is based on popularity rather than actual accomplishments. I picked the guys that I have heard of.

Pele 1958 Ave Ltda. Colecao Titulares (could also choose from many other issues from 1958 more info here Pele Rookie Card Thread )
    George Best 1964 Barratt & Co. Ltd Famous Footballers
    Diego Maradona 1978 Figurita Crack Mundial
    Roberto Baggio 1985 Panini Calciatori
    David Beckham 1995 Raven Manchester Utd. Red Devils
    Cristiano Ronaldo 2003 Panini Mega Craques
    Leo Messi 2004 Spanish Panini Megacracks

These are 2 newer ones that could end up cracking the list..
    Gareth Bale 2007 Panini Coca-Cola Championship
    Neymar 2009 Abril Gol Cards
  • Options

<< <i>No problem. Im not an expert either. I'm actually in the same boat as you and just wanted to pick up a few rookie cards of players that could go down as all time greats. I actually know more about a few cards than I do about the sport... Here are the soccer cards that cracked my rookie card list of all time great athletes. The list is based on popularity rather than actual accomplishments. I picked the guys that I have heard of.

Pele 1958 Ave Ltda. Colecao Titulares (could also choose from many other issues from 1958 more info here Pele Rookie Card Thread )
    George Best 1964 Barratt & Co. Ltd Famous Footballers
    Diego Maradona 1978 Figurita Crack Mundial
    Roberto Baggio 1985 Panini Calciatori
    David Beckham 1995 Raven Manchester Utd. Red Devils
    Cristiano Ronaldo 2003 Panini Mega Craques
    Leo Messi 2004 Spanish Panini Megacracks

These are 2 newer ones that could end up cracking the list..
    Gareth Bale 2007 Panini Coca-Cola Championship
    Neymar 2009 Abril Gol Cards >>

Nice collection. In addition to the ones you've got identified there, I've picked up similar ones and some other Rookies of the top footballers who are not on your list. Problem is, my RCs for the following players have all been N9'd:

Franz Beckenbauer
    Johan Cruyff
    Lev Jascin
    Alfredo Di Stefano
    Eusebio Ferreira Da Silva
    Zinedane Zidane

I did also pick up the Bobby Charlton & Thierry Henry RC's as well, but those are graded by PSA.

• Options
    I hate N9s. Most of the ones on my list initially got N9s. Both if the mega crack cards were initially rejected even though I had an email from Panini customer service that gave details about the set.. Checklist ect.. The only one left that have that psa doest grade yet is the 1978 Maradona. I have images of the entire album but it's not clear enough to read all of the names. Once I'm able to get a comets checklist it should be enough for psa to approve for grading. What sets are the cards you listed from?
  • Options

I submit a whole lot of foreign stuff, so I've probably had about 33% N9 in my last 750 cards sub'd. Getting an N9 is sort of expected when going for items that fall into the category of "condition nearly irrelevant, pop 1 none higher or lower, even though mid or low grade is the best one someone is going to find" so I know the risk I'm taking when I pick up obscure raw items.

Some of the ones I was talking about here specifically are:

1956 Chocolates Eduardo Pi, #15 Alfredo Di Stefano
    1958 Fussball-Weltmeisterschait 1958, #77 Pele vs. Lev Jascin
    1965 Lampo Perfetti - Grand Champions, NNO, Franz Beckenbauer
    1969-70 Monty Gum - Eredivise, #233 Johan Cruyff
    1992 Picsou Magazine - Perforated, #18 Zinedane Zidane

If you look at some of my soccer sets, they're full of zero higher or lower items. Part of the reason it has taken me so long to inch my way up the Pele list is that while I have the most items, many of those where I've got the only one graded, a lot of them were only possible to find in low condition. But for every card on any of my soccer sets, I have just as many buried in the stacks of N9 rejects that may eventually go to SGC since they'll holder a lot of items PSA won't. SGC seems willing to grade anything that BVG does, but PSA doesn't quite share the same amount of willingness on that.

• Options
    I just got this back from bgs. Psa now graded them so ill cross it over. I know he just a prospect but I like the card since it's from brazil. It's tough to get cards from South America because they don't use eBay or Paypal. Luckily there are a few sellers that sell US eBay and accept Paypal. If he pans out this could be a great card. Of it could end up in a box with Todd van popple and Andre Ware rookies

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect the 1994 World Cup sets, subsets, and promos, as well as the 1992 Topps Stadium Club Premier League. I found a dealer blowing out 1994 World Cup subset cards at 10 cents a piece (POY Holograms, Bora Selects, etc. etc.). I didn't think anyone kept any of that stuff, except for the Jordan and Gretzky inserts. Now I ask at shows if anyone has soccer cards. Usually its a curt "no".
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.