Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pack Sub Grades In: Sadly, No Wax

Just got my pack sub results in--I had also sent in 24 wax packs from the 1970s, including 6 mint 1977 and 6 mint 1978 Topps baseball wax packs that were pulled straight from a fresh box, but due to PSA's new policy with regard to grading packs in which there is a possibility of the gum shifting and tearing the wrapper in transit, only 1 of those packs was graded--the 1972 OPC wax pack, which was not surprising as the gum OPC used that year for those packs was the most sugary of any stick used during that era, so most 1972 OPC packs will typically have the gum fused to the top card in the pack. Was pleased with the grades I did get overall. The 78 Ryan cello was pristine and the 80 Winfield cello is a personal favorite of mine. And of course, last but not least, there is the 73 cello with Grote on back, not a star pack per se, but good enough for me! LOL!

1 1 22332983 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O.P.C. BASEBALL WAX PACK WAX PACK Pack
5 1 22332988 NEAR MINT 7 1977 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK DALE MURPHY-TOP Pack
8 1 22333001 MINT 9 1978 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK NOLAN RYAN-TOP Pack
9 1 22333002 MINT 9 1978 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK LOU BROCK RB-TOP/CARL YASTRZEMSKI-BACK Pack
10 1 22333003 MINT 9 1980 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK DAVE WINFIELD-TOP Pack
11 1 22333004 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK ROD CAREW-TOP
25 1 22333020 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK JERRY GROTE-BACK Pack

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    That is a lot of star-power there, Tim. Congrats!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just got my pack sub results in--I had also sent in 24 wax packs from the 1970s, including 6 mint 1977 and 6 mint 1978 Topps baseball wax packs that were pulled straight from a fresh box, but due to PSA's new policy with regard to grading packs in which there is a possibility of the gum shifting and tearing the wrapper in transit, only 1 of those packs was graded--the 1972 OPC wax pack, which was not surprising as the gum OPC used that year for those packs was the most sugary of any stick used during that era, so most 1972 OPC packs will typically have the gum fused to the top card in the pack. Was pleased with the grades I did get overall. The 78 Ryan cello was pristine and the 80 Winfield cello is a personal favorite of mine. And of course, last but not least, there is the 73 cello with Grote on back, not a star pack per se, but good enough for me! LOL!

1 1 22332983 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 O.P.C. BASEBALL WAX PACK WAX PACK Pack
    5 1 22332988 NEAR MINT 7 1977 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK DALE MURPHY-TOP Pack
    8 1 22333001 MINT 9 1978 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK NOLAN RYAN-TOP Pack
    9 1 22333002 MINT 9 1978 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK LOU BROCK RB-TOP/CARL YASTRZEMSKI-BACK Pack
    10 1 22333003 MINT 9 1980 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK DAVE WINFIELD-TOP Pack
    11 1 22333004 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK ROD CAREW-TOP
    25 1 22333020 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1973 TOPPS BASEBALL CELLO PACK CELLO PACK JERRY GROTE-BACK Pack >>

That is awesome you got a pack with your own card on the back and had it labeled as such. Very cool.
  • Options
    digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭
    Nice cellos!
    Sucks on the wax...especially since i have a few 77's and 78's there right now as well
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Time to rip those wax packs Tim!
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

That is awesome you got a pack with your own card on the back and had it labeled as such. Very cool. >>

+1 I asked Steve Hart once whether I could get the '63 Tom Tresh showing on the pack to be listed in the label. He indicated they'd offer special labeling if customers requested it. He once had a big Rick Reuschel collector who asked to slab a bunch of packs indicating the Reuschel cards that were showing.
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    JERRY GROTE!!!
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>JERRY GROTE!!! >>

Tim's much, much older brother. image

Congrats on the cellos, not so much on the non existent wax grades. Back in the boxes they go. No ripping those babies.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Tim especially on the pack with your older bro.

aconte
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Nice job on the cellos Tim.

Here's your man teaching those four no-names how to pitch! LOL

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want that Murphy pack if you ever decide to sell it !
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the good words guys!

Mike, as long as the packs have no tears, they will go back into the box. image

Doug, great pic!

Jeff, I will likely be selling a couple of these packs, including the 77 Murphy cello.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts