Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My fist possible venture into Tobacco cards. Opinions wanted !!

This could be my first venture into Tobacco cards and I could really use some advice from some veteran collectors of prewar cards. I am interested in this Piedmont back T205 Cobb card but not sure if the price and the grade match up well , just don't enough experience in these cards yet and have some questions. Price is $450

1. Is this grade due to the paper loss on the back of the card because the front looks much nicer ?

2. As a whole would most prewar collectors rather have a low grade card with creases and missing parts but with a good back or a better front with paper loss or damage to back of card ?

Here are pictures of the card in question . Would love to hear your thoughts !

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war

Comments

• Options
    For me, I would much rather have a clean front than back...if I had a choice. Cobb's are expensive, at least I think they are. The coloring is nice on the front of that one. I personally $450 is not a bad price for that card.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    That exact card sold for $400 the day after Xmas. VCP has it listed as a best offer, so it's possible it sold for even less.
    Price seems a bit high to me for that much back damage. Not all 1's are created equal and this one looks pretty good from the front, but I think the price should be a bit lower.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that's pretty close to a good price. That card is worth right around $400-450. A worse looking 1 in my opinion, full of creases sold earlier this month for $550.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    It was listed for $479 and was won with a best offer of $400.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options
    If you want to know more about Tobacco cards, this is a great place to start...

Old Cardboard
  • Options
    MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    That is a ton of paper loss....As a new collector of T cards I would pass on that as your preferences might change and trying to resell it could be difficult as the back is a "non-starter" for many...Think you can get a low grade Cobb for near the same amount (maybe a bit more) but without such a serious condition issue. I think pre-war collectors take backs into account more seriously than post-war guys on average.

BTW, net54baseball.com is the best resource to learn more about pre-war cards including pricing
  • Options
    Thanks for all the input so far , please chime in with any further suggestions or comments.

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It's just been listed on Net 54 for 450. or best offer.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    This was just offered to me for $425. Is this something that you would put into your collection or would you pass and wait for same grade with a whole back and significantly worse front for possibly more money ?

Opinions welcomed

• Options
    It's probably just me, but at that grade the front is more important. I always take a beautiful front over a back. Especially if I don't plan on reselling it.