Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Grading standards for Wacky packages

Wacky Packages are really the only non-sport cards I have ever collected. I still purchase some occasionally as a distraction from my sports habit. I looked over some PSA 10's that have sold on ebay recently and to me it seems the grading is not nearly as strict as it is for early to mid 1970's sports cards. The biggest issue is the centering standards when taking into account the trademark printing at the bottom. Some PSA 10's appear to be 50/50 centered using the trademark. While other 10's are only 50/50 if you disregard the trademark altogether.

Has PSA ever answered anyone on whether or not they use the printing or not?

Other obvious flaws I have seen on PSA 10's are angled borders(?) not diamond cut but obviously not straight. I'm not saying that ugly 10's do not surface from sports cards too, I'm just saying that it looks as though they are much more forgiving while grading the Wackies. Could just be that they were mainly collected by younger kids and intended to be removed and stuck somewhere. So, there is just a soft spot for the lucky ones to have survived nicely all these years.

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for the copyright issue, here's what I posted before:

-----------
    If you examine the uncut sheets, you'll see that the copyright line should be considered part of the image.

So the border space should technically be measured from the bottom of the copyright line.

Some graders don't understand this, and you'll see some PSA 9s and 10's with the copyright line right up against the bottom edge.

Also, the space between the image and the copyright varies a bit, so some "eye appeal" judgment should be used.
    ------------

So it varies by the individual grader. Wackys just aren't big enough business for PSA to have an official policy.

I do agree that PSA is tougher on sports cards than wackys. I believe it's mostly due to inexperience. If they graded a ton of wackys, they would soon fixate on every common flaw and hammer them like they do 1975 baseball.

Honestly, in submitting wackys I've averaged almost 60% 9's and 10's, and I have to guess I would be nowhere near that successful with my '70's baseball.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your insight. I'm hoping they keep up the leniency with my sub. I sent in 44 cards and they appear to be PSA 9 or better, even according to sportscard grading. But, I know that there is some discrepancy with the trademark line.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole copyright thing is confusing because you really have to look at the uncut sheets to see what the appropriate centering is. Take a look at Schtick:

It would not be easy for a grader to determine the centering on this card without a photo like this one. In cases like this, I'm not sure what the grader does.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a crapshoot depending on the grader and the day of the week. I have probably submitted 2,000 Wackies over the years and that is my conclusion.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports