Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another 1971 OPC Card: Seaver

I just picked this 1971 "Canadian" Seaver card up last week. Alright OPC fans, What PSA grade should I expect?

Any input and critique is welcome. I am thinking PSA 7.

Comments

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 6 to me.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I don't know what it will get, but I'm metsmorized by it. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know what it will get, but I'm metsmorized by it. image >>

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an 8 assuming the rough cutting isn't penalized.
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    My guess would be 7
    I don't think it has a shot at an 8
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Top left corner doesn't bother you, Tom?
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Top left corner doesn't bother you, Tom? >>

Yes it does. I still think it could 7 though. Getting a good read on the true condition of 1971 opc baseball is very difficult with scans.
    No doubt the top left is a problem but hard to tell if the rest of the card is problem free.
    From the backside scan, the bottom left may be a issue as well, just hard to tell.
    It may be a 6
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with Tom on this one. I was going to say 6.5 before I read his posts. I've got some 1971 OPC cards that came back 7 but looked a little nicer than that one, though I felt that those were a little low for the grade. Certainly the particular grader you get plays into it, and strictly comparing to the graded 1971 OPC's I have, I think a 6.5 is appropriate, but if it were mine, I would consider a 7 as a possibility, though a pleasant surprise. Either way, nice card, good luck!

• Options
    Thanks for some great discussion. I am now thinking between 6-7. Either would be fine, as high-grade OPC is so rare. That being said, I am rooting for the. 7.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I have a difficult time distinguishing between the rough cut and a flaw on 1971 OPC. Why is the upper left corner different?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solid NM 7 all day long, imo. Chance at a 7.5, or even an 8 on a good day. Love the rough cut! Sharp card!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a difficult time distinguishing between the rough cut and a flaw on 1971 OPC. Why is the upper left corner different? >>

EOT.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm with Tom on this one. I was going to say 6.5 before I read his posts.

Chance at a 7.5...
    >>

Come on guys, let's be honest - this card has a better shot at getting a PSA 10 than pulling a half grade. We all know those are reserved for review submissions image

Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice card, hard to guess as the white edges get so bright when scanning these.

I'll guess 7.

Good point on the half grade, can't believe how seldom they give them out.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't graded '71 OPCs but I would say it has a shot at an 8 depending on how the corner looks under a loupe. The rough cut can hide a bit of wear. It's frankly hard to distinguish whether the upper left corner is worn or just showing white from the rough cutting process.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't graded '71 OPCs but I would say it has a shot at an 8 depending on how the corner looks under a loupe. The rough cut can hide a bit of wear. It's frankly hard to distinguish whether the upper left corner is worn or just showing white from the rough cutting process. >>

This is my first that I am going to submit. I scoped the card with a 10X magnifier, and while it appears that the upper left effect is from the rough-cut procedure, it is really hard to say. I really don't know what to completely expect here. I do have a PSA 7 1971 OPC Bench that does have some wear on both lower corners.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that Bench definitely has corner wear that is distinguishable from rough cut chipping. I've had rough cuts like your Seaver going both ways (7 or 8). It all will depend on how the grader views it. I'd be surprised if your card gets lower than a 7 though.
  • Options
    Here's a Seaver PSA 6 that I own. I apologize for the scan, shoulda bought the Epson.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Strong 7.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a Seaver PSA 6 that I own. I apologize for the scan, shoulda bought the Epson.

image >>

Sharp card! The ding halfway down right edge is probably the reason it only graded a 6.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    What did the Seaver grade? The suspense is killing me!
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    still can't believe psa wont do basic player sets for opc like they do w/ topps!

• Options
    Wow, I forgot to update this. The first submission yielded a PSA 5 grade. The card was cracked out and submitted a second time, and that time it graded a PSA 7. I will try to post a scan later today or tomorrow of the card in the holder.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    A PSA 5 for that card would have been obscene. A PSA 7 tomb suits it. Congrats!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, I forgot to update this. The first submission yielded a PSA 5 grade. The card was cracked out and submitted a second time, and that time it graded a PSA 7. I will try to post a scan later today or tomorrow of the card in the holder. >>

PSA 7 is the grade it deserved. Cingrats, John!

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    A 2 grade bump? They simply took your money the first time. What a racket!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Here is a scan I dug up. Sorry for the tilted holder.

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    That is a dynamite 7 you have there. It's a shame the grading for OPC cards vary so much from sub to sub, but I'm happy you stuck with it for at least one bump. That card looks like a solid 8 to me all day.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff