Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1978 Topps Baseball Wax Pack Question

I recently purchased a 1978 Topps Baseball wax pack. Everything seemed to be in order. The pack opened with a slight bit of resistance. The card facing the back of the pack had a wax stain on it. The gum was the correct size. After I placed the cards into the pages of my binder I noticed that there were 15 cards in the pack. Should I be concerned that this particular wax pack may have been resealed? Have any of you ever pulled 15 cards out of a 1978 Topps Baseball wax pack? Thanks in advance.
"Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."

Comments

• Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    "Anyone? Anyone?"
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nothing to worry about in and of itself, unless you saw other red flags. Card count in packs was occasionally off by a card or even two during this era--in some 78 racks you will find 14 cards in one cell instead of 13. That is what actually will sometimes cause the "machine mark" on the edge of the card, as the machine tried to catch the card before it got inserted into the pack.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I saw this but unfortunately I'm the one guy on the board that has no ripping experience. image

I will say that I've seen rack packs with an extra card in them so I guess it is possible.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Thanks Grote and Mike. As far as other red flags Grote, the gum was broken in half and not stuck to the front card but I have read on these forums that that is not always a concern either. I wouldn't have even considered it an issue if there were 14 cards in the pack. I suppose that this particular seller is reliable for now. Thanks again.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the gum being broken is an issue either. I have some graded packs from the 60's/70's that I can tell the gum is broken in.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Thanks 76. That's good to know.
  • Options
    I just received a pack with 13 cards in it. Again, everything else appears to be in order. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Stop counting, it will solve all issues.

That being said, have you gotten any players that you would consider stars yet? If so, then you probably dont have any problem, if not, then maybe you do.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>That being said, have you gotten any players that you would consider stars yet? If so, then you probably dont have any problem, if not, then maybe you do. >>

I don't think you can say that about the Star Cards, considering the OP has only received 28 cards from a set that contains 726 cards!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Dboneesq,

Ur correct. Way too small of a sample size. But I do have a ? for you. What do u think of a full rack box, 1981, that had abs no major or medium level stars in the entire box? Front or back. So six faces per rack pack times...however many racks in a box.
    Thx
  • Options
    I have actually purchased six packs so far. The most recent pack that I have asked a question about did in fact contain more than just commons. I will happily stop counting if I can be assured that there were not always 14 cards inserted into the packs. I am relatively new to this and I would simply like to learn more about this aspect of the hobby. Thanks for replying to my question everyone.
  • Options
    There should be 14 cards in a pack, but aberrations on the card count are not terribly uncommon.

Were first 6-7 cards from back of pack, cards from A, b or C sheet and remaining cards from D, E or F sheets? (The sheet letter is on back of the card.)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote, unfortunately I have no idea since I have already placed the cards into my binder. That is precisely the information that I would have loved to have when I opened the pack. The best that I can do is list the card numbers that the pack may have contained. I am pretty sure that I will be able to sort them out even though I have already placed them into my binder. I always wondered what the heck those sheet letters meant. The pack did in fact have at least one A in the mix. The gum was also the correct size and the card facing the back of the pack has a wax stain on it. I hope that this helps to clarify things. Thanks for the reply.
  • Options
    What the heck is with the centering on these cards? Is there a worse year for centering? I can't imagine.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What the heck is with the centering on these cards? Is there a worse year for centering? I can't imagine. >>

Unfortunately the answer is 'yes'. 1979 is worse. I think '73s would rival as well, particularly when comparing front and back centering. Most cards from that year have poor alignment between the print on the front and back.
  • Options
    Thanks Gemint. I suppose that I will just have to temper my expectations.
  • Options
    Why are some 1978 Topps Baseball wax packs sold in an airtight cellophane wrapper? I have come across these twice while browsing on eBay.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why are some 1978 Topps Baseball wax packs sold in an airtight cellophane wrapper? I have come across these twice while browsing on eBay. >>

Are you talking about a cello pack?? Cards came in wax, cello, rack and also in the grocery rack form.
  • Options
    No, I am not referring to a cello pack. The additional exterior wrapper more closely resembles a sealed bag. It is much looser than a cello pack would be. Thanks Stingray.
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Okay, this is a shot in the dark, but are you talking
    about team bags?

If so, these are aftermarket protective coverings
    that collectors and dealers put their packs into.

Topps had nothing to do with these.

Sorry if I'm giving too simplistic an answer, but
    you never know how much someone knows or
    doesn't know.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    No, it is not a team bag. It is actually sealed all around. No need to apologize Mister Bungle. I was able to find an image of one on Google Images. Here it is.

• Options
    That's an aftermarket wrapping, possibly heat sealed but definitely not from the factory.

• Options
    Thanks Grote.