Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German States (Saxony) silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E

German States (Saxony) silver 3 mark proof, Battle of Leipzig centennial commemorative, 1913-E

Note to self: add slab photos here when possible

Obverse: the Völkerschlachtdenkmal (Monument to the Battle of the Nations).

Reverse: Imperial German eagle, head left, crown above.

PCGS PR62 DCAM, cert #29851548. KM 1275, .900 silver/.4823 oz. 33 mm, 16.66 g. Leipzig mint. Mintage: 17,000 proofs. Ex-Moneta Numismatic Services (via VCoins online store), 2/23/2014.

I had been looking for 19th century colorfully-toned proofs. Hadn't seen many that I both liked and could afford. Come to think of it, I hadn't seen many at all in my shopping around the time I bought this coin. This one is 20th century, but in hand, it has pretty deep mirrors and nice Deep Cameo contrast. I've long liked German States coins of the Imperial period; especially proofs. It commemorates the 100th anniversary of the 1813 Battle of Leipzig, which was a decisive victory against Napoleon, and the largest battle fought in Europe prior to World War I. The circulation strikes for this issue are relatively common- I've had an XF-AU example before. I guess even the proofs aren't especially scarce (though 17K mintage isn't exactly common, either), but I do like the added "flash" and Deep Cameo contrast, which doesn't entirely come out in the photos.

Miscellaneous links:

Larger image

PCGS cert verification page (w/TrueView image link)

NGC/Krause priceguide listing

Wikipedia links:

Saxony (in the 19th and 20th centuries)

Battle of Leipzig

Monument to the Battle of the Nations

German gold mark (the Imperial currency unit from 1873-1914)

When posted here, this coin was part of my "Eclectic Box of 20" collection.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments