Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Why No Love for 1967 Joe Morgan in Set Registry

I really am not well versed in PSA guidelines for rating cards for the set registry so I am asking opinions here. I recently won a 1967 Topps #337 Joe Morgan PSA 9 and today registered it in the Set Registry. I was surprised it only had a rating of 13.5. I checked the SMR and it is not even listed....seems unusual for the 3rd year card of a HOFer. Any thoughts on this card and why it appears undervalued for the Set Registry?

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of the cards in the registry are way off as far as weights go.

A perfect example is OPC cards from the 1960's. MUCH harder to find than the Topps cards but many are weighted the exact same.

I was once told that the number of submissions effected the weight, as the more valuable cards got submitted more often. My response was some of the old stuff is so rare only a few get graded.

I also heard that the weight is determined when the card is first added to a set. I never knew you were supposed to put the weight you thought the card should get in the "comments" section when requesting an addition!?!?!?!?!?!?

If you figure it out let me know.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Everything I'd ever heard and read was that weights were based on the SMR value in PSA 8. Low value, low weight.
    SMR is flawed on a lot of sets though, often giving higher values to stars like Mantle and Koufax over rarities that are much tougher to find and command more money when they do turn up.
    Not to mention condition rarities that often sell for more than superstars in the same condition.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should base the weighting on the VCP average. Not perfect but better than any other method I can think of. That would pretty much account for low pop cards that are low pop due to little value (e.g., 1988 Donruss common) vs a low pop card due to condition scarcity.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VCP for the Morgan in PSA 9 is about $200. That puts it on the low end of HOF 9s and about the same level as some low pop commons like Etchebarren.
  • Options
    What the Heck is wrong with 88 Donruss?! :-)
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Well I am pleased to say that I contacted PSA about the 1967 Topps Joe Morgan card and its omission will be corrected in the June edition of SMR. Started with Jaye in the Set Registry and ended up with Jackie, the production manger for SMR. She said the card has been listed with its values in the online SMR but it has been an oversight that it has been left out of the print edition all these years. Every PSA person I talked to was very helpful. I feel so much better now that I will be able to find my new PSA 9 1967 Joe Morgan listed in the SMR print edition in a few months.....an earthshattering correction! However, no inclination on the part of PSA to increase its value ranking from 13.5 (Heck, commons are 9.0) But there are several other HOFers in the 1967 set who have similar ratings so I guess Joe is just going to have to be happy with what he has.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set