Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Regency holder sells on Ebay

«1

Comments

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The insert says #325 of 363. If all 363 are in Regency slabs and each is worth $950, that's quite a statement.

    image
  • Options


    << <i>Danny Kaye, Regency holder on Ebay


    Sold for $950......Not bad at allimageimage >>



    And ... there was a coin in it! image

    I knew someone who once flew on an airplane Danny Kaye was on. He was a jerk.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    KoveKove Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Danny Kaye, Regency holder on Ebay


    Sold for $950......Not bad at allimageimage >>



    The seller, Jay, bought it for $445 a few weeks ago on Great Collections.

    Nice double. I guess I could have bid a little higher last month...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Danny Kaye, Regency holder on Ebay


    Sold for $950......Not bad at allimageimage >>



    The seller, Jay, bought it for $445 a few weeks ago on Great Collections.

    Nice double. I guess I could have bid a little higher last month... >>



    If that's what the greater eyeballs can get you on eBay, there's quite a bit of value there.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone really wanted it, if you ask me. Since the bulk of the Regency holders bear the Danny Kaye pedigree, it's the ones without his name on them that you really want.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Someone really wanted it, if you ask me. Since the bulk of the Regency holders bear the Danny Kaye pedigree, it's the ones without his name on them that you really want. >>



    While the bulk of them in existence, as far as we know, do bear his name, they are still very limited in quantity.

    That and some of us love Danny Kaye as an actor, even if we are from a much younger generation.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Former CoFounder of Choice Numismatics

    All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you figure out what it went for?? image

    The ones with the box and bag seem scarcer??
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>How do you figure out what it went for?? image/q]
    there are a few different methods besides being the buyer image

    i'm too lazy today to go find the threads.
    .

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭


    << <i>How do you figure out what it went for?? image

    The ones with the box and bag seem scarcer?? >>



    Enter the item number at watchcount.com, and it shows the best offer price.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! The old .ca trick doesn't work any more. image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I found another that sold for $750 >>



    I sold that coin and was pleased with the sale price. Kudos to the seller at $950. image
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Someone really wanted it, if you ask me. Since the bulk of the Regency holders bear the Danny Kaye pedigree, it's the ones without his name on them that you really want. >>



    While the bulk of them in existence, as far as we know, do bear his name, they are still very limited in quantity.

    That and some of us love Danny Kaye as an actor, even if we are from a much younger generation. >>



    I have never even heard of Danny Kaye -- I had to Wikipedia the guy. I still have no idea who he is. image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [290+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    ...he is this fine actor. Text
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....too bad 'ol Danny didn't collect killer rainbow Morgans Eh?
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>

    << <i>Someone really wanted it, if you ask me. Since the bulk of the Regency holders bear the Danny Kaye pedigree, it's the ones without his name on them that you really want. >>



    While the bulk of them in existence, as far as we know, do bear his name, they are still very limited in quantity.

    That and some of us love Danny Kaye as an actor, even if we are from a much younger generation. >>



    I have never even heard of Danny Kaye -- I had to Wikipedia the guy. I still have no idea who he is. image >>









    Danny Kaye....for the youngersters



    Not many could do this so fast and yet so clearly




  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>....too bad 'ol Danny didn't collect killer rainbow Morgans Eh? >>



    Ha!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>....too bad 'ol Danny didn't collect killer rainbow Morgans Eh? >>



    Ha! >>



    Yeah. Then his heirs could try to sell the rainbows in Regency's for at least a grand more than sheet for the date, even if their eye appeal is mundane - like the one that has been through the revolving eBay listings for the past two years, since the seller won't budge on the BIN. image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get too excited yet boys & girls... As this doofy looking $50 coin in fancy plastic sold once before on 1/31 and was returned.



    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I have never even heard of Danny Kaye -- I had to Wikipedia the guy. I still have no idea who he is. image >>



    Consider yourself lucky. His "appeal" is definitely not universal.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny Kaye belongs to another era of entertainment. He is fading rapidly from memory as the people who were his fans pass from the scene.

    I guess some people are willing to pay huge premiums for the Regency holder. I'm certainly not one of them.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep pullin' the damn thing outta my pocket, trying to make a call on it.
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>How do you figure out what it went for?? image/q]
    there are a few different methods besides being the buyer image

    i'm too lazy today to go find the threads.
    . >>



    OT...but Lance, could you please change your Avatar back to the cat sticking it's tongue out...my 3 year old daughter is really pissed off that I can't show her the "silly kitty cat" when I'm on my iPad right now image

    ...or at least PM me a photo of it so I can keep her amused while I OCD out on the CU forums image

    Thanks in advance,
    Erik
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I'd keep pullin' the damn thing outta my pocket, trying to make a call on it. >>



    image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Someone really wanted it, if you ask me. Since the bulk of the Regency holders bear the Danny Kaye pedigree, it's the ones without his name on them that you really want. >>

    Bulk? Are you sure? Not that the registry I keep has all possible pieces, but there are fewer "Danny Kaye" Regency holdered coins that other US and world coins. There is a greater demand, from what I hear from fellow slab collectors, for US coins in Regency holders as compared with all others.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭
    And it's a nice coin to boot.


    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my regency slab off eBay more than ten years ago. It holds an MS62 1852 gold dollar with a notation that it is a double punched date on the label. The type 1 gold dollar at 13mm diameter is the smallest US coin and it's almost lost in this large holder. Unfortunately it didn't come with the green pull string bag with the PCGS logo on it but I did get it without paying any premium for the slab.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 45,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what a "speciman" is.

    An Italian astronaut, maybe? image

    Collector since 1976. On the CU forums here since 2001.

  • Options
    Rapidly fading from memory? I am only 44. I remember his work with UNICEF was sent on 16mm to my school and we would watch it every year right before we were turned loose for Xmas holiday. I remember when Audrey Hepburn was UNICEF representative - because I got to chat over wine with her. Dainty wrists! Lovely lady.

    Danny Kaye - I am SURE many here remember this bit below (am I an "old timer"? image I would think Victor Borge would place me more in that category? image but then..I know who he is too..."Pfft. Zip! Blip. Drag-click...cluk!" (no, not on the mouse)...that is spoken punctuation...I guess you had to see it).

    The Court Jester 1959....Danny Kaye...
    Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?

    Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!

    Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?

    Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.

    Hawkins: A flagon...?

    Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.

    Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.

    Griselda: Right.

    Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?

    Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

    Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.

    Griselda: Just remember that.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I would think Victor Borge would place me more in that category? >>



    Ahhh. Victor Borge was the master!

    His best clip ever.

    Chopin
  • Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Has anybody ever seen one of these coins (regardless of pedigree) in a regular PCGS slab?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Has anybody ever seen one of these coins (regardless of pedigree) in a regular PCGS slab? >>



    No just NGC.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    I believe I have in the heritage archives. About $90.

    edit: Guess not, Heritage archives only show NGC and Anacs. NGC only on Ebay.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Has anybody ever seen one of these coins (regardless of pedigree) in a regular PCGS slab? >>

    The only other ones I have seen were raw.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Would like to see PCGS return to a premium holder such as the Regency.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Would like to see PCGS return to a premium holder such as the Regency. >>



    Who sez it was a premium holder? It was just more expensive because it allowed for extra verbiage on the insert at the same font as a regular holder. Unless of course you figure the embroidered felt storage bag made it a premium. image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Would like to see PCGS return to a premium holder such as the Regency. >>



    Who sez it was a premium holder? It was just more expensive because it allowed for extra verbiage on the insert at the same font as a regular holder. Unless of course you figure the embroidered felt storage bag made it a premium. image >>



    I will dispute your assertion. A holder the size of Crimea was not needed for the extra description.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only coin I have ever personally seen in a Regency holder which deserved the extra attention it commanded, is (was) an 1893-CC Branch Mint SP Morgan dollar, which at the time I held it in hand, was owned by John Albanese. Name, or show me another that you have witnessed that really mattered in a Regency.

    "A holder the size of Crimea was not needed for the extra description." You're wrong on that count. I've seen Regency holders with extensive verbiage on the insert, which would not possibly fit in a standard holder insert.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go, Coindeuce.

    Text
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,781 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Here ya go, Coindeuce.

    305,000 Euro realized. >>






    I posted a thread about this one on the dark side as it was being auctioned.
    Incredible coin!







  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Realistically, the number of collectors of a 19th century Russian platinum coin are probably as rare as the coin.
    You're comparing apples to oranges here. And the Danny Kaye provenanced coins were realistically cherished only by those who idolized him for his Hollywood persona and his penchant for philanthropy. Had no bearing on the real market value of those coins in the Regency holders.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Realistically, the number of collectors of a 19th century Russian platinum coin are probably as rare as the coin. >>



    Dorothy had better luck with the Wizard of Oz.

    image
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Realistically, the number of collectors of a 19th century Russian platinum coin are probably as rare as the coin. >>



    Dorothy had better luck with the Wizard of Oz.

    image >>



    Tell us how many collectors you know that are capable of or interested in owning a half million dollar Russian coin.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Tell us how many collectors you know that are capable of or interested in owning a half million dollar Russian coin. >>



    ...about as many as are capable of owning an 1893-CC branch mint SP Morgan.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Tell us how many collectors you know that are capable of or interested in owning a half million dollar Russian coin. >>



    ...about as many as are capable of owning an 1893-CC branch mint SP Morgan. >>



    image Sure. You forgot the caveat about interest.
    Nice try.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Your chess game is about as sharp as Obama's.

    You asked to see a premium coin in a Regency holder but alas, it was too premium.

    The Danny Kaye coins are of course too pedestrian.

    Not sure where these eagles fit in, I assume too modern.

    Text
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a 1870-CC $20 in one once. Very cool to see.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Your chess game is about as sharp as Obama's.

    You asked to see a premium coin in a Regency holder but alas, it was too premium. >>



    We all know that Soetoro isn't capable of playing chess with Putin. That argument belongs in a different forum.

    No one said the Platinum 3 Rouble is too premium, and the statement was merely made that the interest is so narrow on the world market, that no matter what price it realizes, the holder has very little if any factor at all in determining what an interested collector will pay for it. At that level of interest and value, the holder is virtually invisible.

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Picked this regency up yesterday!

    Danny...what else!
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that price, I would have also expected a felt pouch and an original D.K. autograph. image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file