Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1985 Topps Tiffany #620 Dwight Gooden PSA 10 Gem Mint Pop 0....

I have been casually looking for this card for a while and just assumed that it was low pop and just didn't come up much.

After checking the completed listings tonight once more and only seeing PSA 9's I decided to check the population report.

To my surprise this card has never graded a PSA 10. There are 96 examples graded so far and it is close to an even split between the 8's and 9's.

There are so many card collectors who grew up during this era and the regular version of this card was the first expensive card we chased. The Fleer and Donruss cards were more expensive and the Tiffany cards were out of reach in price and I don't even recall anyone I knew having one.

I think if this card ever surfaces it will be a four figure card.

Pop Report

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize there weren't any 10s graded yet. I actually have a really nice copy at PSA right now, but I'm hoping for a 9 on it - as I've had little luck pulling 10s on anything Topps Tiffany. I agree with you, though - a 10 could fetch a strong price.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    the non-tiffany version is my favorite card of all time and the reason i collect
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    I've ripped open 15 1985 tiffany sets over the past year and every Gooden lands in the NMMT chunk of the set. There is a good chance we will never see a 10 in that card. I also opened a factory sealed 6 case set once and every card of every player was centered the same through out the case. Stunk!
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've ripped open 15 1985 tiffany sets over the past year and every Gooden lands in the NMMT chunk of the set. There is a good chance we will never see a 10 in that card. I also opened a factory sealed 6 case set once and every card of every player was centered the same through out the case. Stunk! >>

That is a good number to have opened.

If the production totals that I have read about of 5,000 sets are true there is indeed a chance we might not see a 10 as you suggest.

I am glad I discovered this information and it will make this card interesting to watch.

• Options
    I am a huge Tiffany collector. Well I actually like grading them and selling them as I have over the past year. Gooden's value in SMR also jumped from I think from $175 to $500 at some point last year. But its very strange because those sets I purchase all were different in #s in the 1000's 2000's 3000 4000's etc. And all of the cards seemed to be centered the same McGwire, Puckett, Clemens, Gooden etc. It would usually come down to gloss surface or corners. Not the same with other tiffany years.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pop 1

I am really surprised this listing didn't get some puffery or a mention of the Pop 1 status.

There were some fast beating hearts at the end of this one for sure.

• Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Very tough card. I've also opened quite a few of these sets. Never gotten above an 8 on these. Mostly due to centering being all over the place.

The card shown is as nice as I've seen.

Justin
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been casually looking for this card for a while and just assumed that it was low pop and just didn't come up much.

After checking the completed listings tonight once more and only seeing PSA 9's I decided to check the population report.

To my surprise this card has never graded a PSA 10. There are 96 examples graded so far and it is close to an even split between the 8's and 9's.

There are so many card collectors who grew up during this era and the regular version of this card was the first expensive card we chased. The Fleer and Donruss cards were more expensive and the Tiffany cards were out of reach in price and I don't even recall anyone I knew having one.

I think if this card ever surfaces it will be a four figure card.

Pop Report >>

Yeah not that strong of a price if several thought it was worth over a thousand a year ago and prices have generally been rising on other cards. 1985 just doesn't get much respect from the serious money collectors yet I guess. And I do think this will be a low pop card for forever.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if this is a little known fact.

I used to think "Tiffany" was the official name of these sets.

In reality, it is a slang term.

I think the official term is Collector's Edition" or something similar.