Home Sports Talk
Options

Sentencing in Bryan Stow case

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not sure what I'm more incensed about, what was done to this guy or 4 & 8 years with credit for time served. Unless they're locked up longer on weapons possessions charges, they'll be out in no time. One of the two could theoretically walk today, I read. Meanwhile, the victim is brain damaged, disabled and will require around-the-clock care for the rest of his life. Are we living in a bizarro world? Can you really render someone a vegetable and re-enter society before Yasiel Puig's contract expires?

And if that wasn't enough, check out the punk on the right.

For a guy like that, it's time to scrap rehabilitation plans and whip out the noose.

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the article the weapons charges should add years to their sentences. Let's hope. I wouldn't think the judge there would be inclined towards leniency given what happened.
    I think poetic justice would be for these two to get the same kind of beatdown they gave to Stow, at the hands of some fellow inmates. Let's see who smirks then. Scum.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Are we living in a bizarro world?>>>

I really don't know what world we are living in right now. I hope these two get the snot kicked out of them in prison.

On a similar note, nothing enrages me more than watching one of those videos of the "knockout game".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats the society we are in. All these politicaly correct advocates and do gooders are to blame for this type of sentencing until they are victims. I garantee that the Judge who sentenced these scumbags would have absolutely smoked them had it been a loved one of his that was the victim in this case.

As far as them getting a "beatdown" in jail you guys are living in the bizarro world thinking that will happen, they will be living just fine given 3 squares, canteen and chances at educational programs and anger managment classes that YOU and me the taxpayer will be paying for.

NOBODYS hands are more tied than Corrections officers when dealing with these types of animals
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy gets beaten to this extent but that's not enough for an attempted murder charge? My God they DID nearly kill him, how is that not attempted murder?

"The complaint specified that he cut and disabled Stow's tongue, put out an eye and slit his nose, ear and lip in addition to other injuries that left him brain damaged."

If you are kicking a man that is down in the head, that could easily kill him!

"Witnesses testified about the parking lot confrontation, saying Stow was jumped from behind and his head crashed to the pavement. While he was on the ground, Sanchez kicked him in the head three times, they said."

UNBELIEVABLE!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>According to the article the weapons charges should add years to their sentences. >>

Sounds like the Judge isn't a fan and will do everything within his power to give maximum sentences for all possible charges.

May karma even everything out...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    we must preach compassion in this situation. it is sad. for the Stow family. but also for the attackers and their families. how do people evolve into becoming so incredibly wrong? you could have witnessed it anytime you went to Dodger Stadium, particularly during the McCourt years. Norwood and Sanchez are emblematic of the types of people who frequented Dodger games for a long time. it was an abusive place. that's why i stopped going there with my own family. it sucked.

definitely, this did not need to happen, but it became a harbinger for change, at least. it's a shame a human sacrifice had to wake up folks who just turned away from it until then.

lest we get into discussions about any physical confrontations which took place at Raider games while they played here. it was just background music with costumes and banners. sheer madness.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the attack warrants an attempted murder charge and conviction. I did not say the attackers should be given the same treatment that they gave their victim (although that is tempting).

What should have happened is that someone capable of this kind of attack that has no remorse, should be imprisoned for a long time to ensure they won't be doing this to an average citizen.

I sure hope they are charged with any and all charges the prosecutor can find to put these $sumbags away for as long as possible.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    So many instances over the many years of *modern* sports, and probably even more in the golden era that no one ever knew about (because there was no mass international media coverage or smartphones) … I'm just numb to the whole issue. We pay these guys millions to play a game that most of us play(ed) for fun [read: free] which forces them to continually push the envelope to earn their salaries, which leads to enraged hormones and often steroid abuse, and then we are surprised when they finally blow up as Bryan Stow did. I think he should be convicted of attempted murder and put away. What I don't understand, is the surprise. Why is anyone surprised that this happened? and why are we surprised that some people could not convict him? After all, Tupac was a convicted rapist and millions of fans still bought his records and continued to be fans even after his conviction.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So many instances over the many years of *modern* sports, and probably even more in the golden era that no one ever knew about (because there was no mass international media coverage or smartphones) … I'm just numb to the whole issue. We pay these guys millions to play a game that most of us play(ed) for fun [read: free] which forces them to continually push the envelope to earn their salaries, which leads to enraged hormones and often steroid abuse, and then we are surprised when they finally blow up as Bryan Stow did. I think he should be convicted of attempted murder and put away. What I don't understand, is the surprise. Why is anyone surprised that this happened? and why are we surprised that some people could not convict him? After all, Tupac was a convicted rapist and millions of fans still bought his records and continued to be fans even after his conviction. >>

FYI...Stow is the guy who was beaten.
    And I'm not totally surprised by this outcome from a court in the People's Republic of California.

Aside to itzagoner... in what universe is this "sad" for the attackers? I'd love to hear your take.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>we must preach compassion in this situation. it is sad. for the Stow family. but also for the attackers and their families. >>

Hoo boy.
  • Options
    it's sad for a person to be so screwed up in the head that he or she would feel no remorse for the actions committed. it's sad that as a society we're so determined to punish people, that we fail to recognize what predicates their behavior.

i don't condone anything these men did to the victim. they need to pay for their crimes. but, there are people out there who love them. for whatever reason. some of them may feel the same desperation felt by Brian Stow's family.

should we respond to hate with hate? apparently, there are already suggestions being made as to how that should occur. that's ok. i get that folks are pissed about it.

this wasn't the first time this happened guys. it just so happens that this particular incident got catapulted to the top of the media heap very quickly and we ran with it.

pretty sure the hate from hate thing with Rodney King and a burning city has made me wonder what will happen next time anger is allowed to conquer common sense.

i'm sad for attackers because they're f'd up. not because they're supposed to be going to prison. just to clarify.
  • Options

<< <i>i'm sad for attackers because they're f'd up. not because they're supposed to be going to prison. just to clarify. >>

Sorry, cannot find any sympathy for two thugs that would wantonly beat the crap out of an innocent sports fan. They 100% knew what they were doing and figured they could get away with it.

As far as their families are concerned, if they continue to have any further contact with these reprobates, they are fools and beyond help.
  • Options
    did i ever imply that i felt sympathy? let me clarify further for you. i'm sad as in "it makes me cry", ok? the same as when i see a movie with an emotional twist that evokes sadness, i will cry. or the same as seeing a dead dog on the side of the freeway after being struck by a vehicle. that makes me sad, too. maybe, i'd feel sympathy for a dog who didn't know any better. but not a couple guys who toed the line at attempted murder.

there's a difference and i hope you understand that. it makes me sad, but it doesn't make me hate.
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from. Nice cards on Ebay. btw! image
  • Options
    thank you sir. appreciate it. image