Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian centennial coins question

I've always had a liking for the 1967 coinage because its my birth year. While I was buying some silver from my dealer last week he offered me some uncirculated quarter and dime rolls he had bought recently.

Normally i avoid those as bullion because of the whole 50% or 80% issue. Are they worth grabbing in BU condition at straight 80% silver melt price? Is there enough interest in them in BU or will I just be buried in them at that price?

Comments

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    They are very common and only valued at $30-$35 in MS65, so consider them as bullion.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the medallions ? Those are sterling aren't they? I wasn't sure if those were anything but scrap . A few looked like they had interesting toning on them . They are not coins though does anyone collect those?
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a few wild toned examples. They are sterling, most are dark toned, the challenge is to find an original all white example.

I have sold some at a premium but consider them bullion as well.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    I have a roll of 1967 80% silver quarters. I picked it up before the 50% was invented. I don't know how I will ever prove it now.
  • Options

I know the nickles are worth more than melt. I had some BU rolls of those and 2 years ago I put one up on ebay and got $50 for it.

Of course it was just before Easter image
  • Options
    There was a time when the pure nickel composition dime and quarter were worth more than face.
  • Options

<< <i>There was a time when the pure nickel composition dime and quarter were worth more than face. >>

I wound up with $100 face in nickles from some guy that bought them as a bullion play . I think he said he got in when nickle was $25 a pound.

He traded me all of them plus a huge sack of french nickle francs in late 2011 for a single 14k wedding band .

Probably the best straight up swap I ever made image He hated those nickles he was so buried in them. More than half are solid date BU rolls fresh as the day they were made. He did stick me with some of the chrome plated and tombac ones . I noticed later but I didn't have the heart to bring it up.