Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canada Penny Questions

Any good site to look at to show you what to look for on 1929 Penny for the High 9 or Low 9?

Also 1942 did they make a non coppy penny?
GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
My Ebay Auctions

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can see it without a lupe when the top of the nine is above the 192. easy..
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    gene1978gene1978 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I think I might have one or two low "9".
    GOOD BST DEALS: cohodk, mikescoins, GritsMan, spinaker2000,
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only coins that the RCM messed with in WWII were the 5 cent coins - first they came out with "tombac" which was a version of brass that was confused then with cents - so then they came out with the 12 sided chromium plated steel coins. There were initially plans to make the cent from another material, say steel, but given the experience the US had with the 1943 cents it is wise they didn't.

The RCM continued striking 5 cent coins during nickel shortages up into the mid 1950s - I still get them in change occasionally. Only ever gotten one 1942 Tombac coin a couple of years ago.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a good photo comparing the 2 on page 60 of the 2014 Charlton volume 1 catalogue.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    I remember having 1943 tombac nickels in Canada. My uncles told me the copper looking coin was just as good as the silver colored coin.

Unfortunately it was not true. I tried to buy a 5 cent ice crème cone with one. Now the price was 6 cents. Nobody raised my 10 cent a week allowance. The strange is I saw many 1943 tombacs but I didn't realize that there was a 1942 one of the old design until years later.