Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Geroge III Newp 1812 18 Pence - Yahooo!!!

I posted this a while back, wondering if it would grade or not, and if so would they give is a 58 for the cabinet friction on the obverse. Just got the grade posted today and they gave me an early Christmas present, a 63. Talking with Baldwins they believe there are 5 of these in existence.

LineItem Year Mint Mark Variety/Pedigree Denom. Grade Comments Comments
001 1812 BANK OF ENGLAND ESC-975 BARE HEAD SMALL REVERSE LETTERS 1S/6P MS63

Guess I should go out and buy some lottery tickets now, although I still would just give it a 58 personally.

I just managed to complete a deal on this coin, which won't seem very impressive when you see it but makes me very happy. This is ESC 975 - 1812 Proof 18 Pence Bank of England Token with small letters reverse, considered a pattern for the laureate head design used from 1812-1816. ESC lists this as an R7 (1 or 2 known) but it seems more likely to me that there could be as many as 4-5 around, although I can't prove it. There have been at least 4 sales of one of these since 1900 but without images available you can't conclude how many of those sales were the same coins. There is 1 example certified at NGC and after this one arrives that will go up to 2, although this one may only grade genuine.

So it has a few issues, and the images certainly don't make the toning look attractive, but since I may never see another one for sale I figured I better go ahead. Luckily since there are only 2 of us in the world that collect these (and the other guy doesn't have an internet connection) the price was surprisingly cheap.

Comments

• mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I like the toning, looks original. I love your comments on the scarcity and the size of the market image Looks rubbed on the highpoints?
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nd the other guy doesn't have an internet connection) the price was surprisingly cheap.

lol

You might get it graded - don't be so sure it merits only genuine details image

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I agree, it may well grade 55-58, just depends on how bad the reverse scratch looks in hand.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Aw man, what's this? I was really excited to see a Geroge III token! Way to get our hopes up! image

Seriously, a cheap R7. wow. Did the seller not realize what they had? Well done, sir. Well done indeed image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Who cares what it grades after all? An attractive and apparently quite scarce example of an interesting series that anyone would be happy to have. Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's an awesome coin, the first time I have seen one. Very nice pick up JCM!
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Nice snag, WTG. You just have to love Great condition ultra rarity on the cheap.image
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our hosts have been occasionally very strict on grading these patterns, and on occasion not. The obverse edge details and perhaps the cheek/jowl has a couple of hits that might limit grade. 55 still seems possible. I had a pattern that IMO was def. a 61/2 that came back 55 (interestingly it also fit the TPG Achilles Heel of being a matte pattern that none of the "Big Two" seem to reliably or reproducibly grade)...
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    I see some "cabinet" friction. Looks Proof 62 to me.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. The proof striking sure is crisp.

Did you get the modest goodies I sent a while back, from one of the giveaways tied to my England trip?

I still owe Ilafoe a holey George III gold half-guinea, but he's never contacted me back so I can send it to him!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Grade posted in first post.
  • brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely token, regardless of whether it's 58 or 63. I like the original skin! Congrats on the grade.
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin, uber rare. Congratulations!

Best Regards,

George
    VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. It seems the world graders allow a small amount of cabinet friction on high end MS pieces from this era in my experience.