Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian 1859 cent - double punched 9?

Hello all,

I was preparing to list this cent on the Bay of E shortly, but wasn't quite certain about the last 9. It looks double-punched to me, but I am not certain other than that it is not a type 1 if it is double-punched. Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance!

-Bjorn

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a 9/6, but I would need to see more of the coin to be sure. If so, scarce coin.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to hear more about this 9/6 variety. image I have a sack of uncirculated 1959 cents . I thought there was only a hanging 9 to look for.

edited to say

I need to get some sleep I guess , I thought it said 1959
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Interesting - I've added a general image of the obverse and reverse if this helps.

-Bjorn
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob, it is not in the books?
    H
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    We put the 9/6 in the 2011 Charlton back-of-the-book variety section .. and then Charlton moved it to the front, along with the DP#3, 4, % and TP9. They have all been in Trends for a few years now. The coin in this post is, to me, too well-worn to say anything with certainty. It does not have the repunched C in Canada, which is one of the markers. Two other markers, the specific type vine gap at leaf 2 and the D/C at 12 are too worn to see for sure. Although there looks like there might be something in the gap between the tail of the 9 and the upper loop .. who knows? I think I see something inside the loop (as it needs to be) but with this much wear, it could be anything in there.... and it doesn't appear to have the correct arc.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys! Hopefully the next one I find is in *slightly* better condition...

-Bjorn
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    I am guessing it is not a 9/6. The re-engraved leaf stems look off for that die and the 9 is too high. It was punched lower on the 9/6 die. It may be another RP 9 variety, but tough to tell through the wear.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com