Home Sports Talk
Options

Will we see a woman on a mens pro sports team...

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
...in the next decade.

I am thinking placekicker in the NFL or perhaps a pitcher in the MLB. Not sure how the fast pitch underhand of ladies softball would translate to the side arm of MLB.

Perhaps Romo's job would be in jeopardy as well.......image

Comments

• Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    0.0% chance.
  • Options
    I first want to see a male reporter have full access to the women's tennis locker room to make that fair - I did not say WNBA - I said women's tennis
  • Options
    Maybe an NHL goalie. My neighbor could pretty much fill a net.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about very physicall sports but it has happened.
    M Rhume or something like that was a goalie in the HK minor leagues....she had an older brother on the NJ Devils.

Didn't Nancy liberman play on a pro BK team?
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Wasn't there a female pitcher in Japan throwing for a Japan Men's team? It was a few years ago, and if I
    remember correctly, she was a side arm knuckle ball pitcher.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't there a female pitcher in Japan throwing for a Japan Men's team? It was a few years ago, and if I
    remember correctly, she was a side arm knuckle ball pitcher. >>

Eri Yoshida. Good work Cubby!

Text
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Yes, Eri Yoshida. She's a cutie too!

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Ann Meyers Drysdale actually had a contract with the Pacers back in 1980. As a big UCLA fan I remember she was big time back then but didn't recall she actually got paid by a men's professional team. According to Wiki:

In 1980, Meyers made NBA history when she signed a $50,000 no-cut contract with NBA's Indiana Pacers.[5] She participated in three-day tryouts for the team, the first by any woman for the NBA, but eventually was not chosen for the final squad.[10]

BACK to your question... NO.
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    I played baseball for the University Of Maryland in the late 70's . We had a small women try out for catcher . I was a pitcher / outfielder with a rocket for an arm . A number of us were playing toss , including her . She was so tiny ( 5:3 maybe ) , but she had a great glove and unbelievable a better arm than almost every guy , including me . She threw like a guy , not a women . I didn't want her on the team as I felt it might be my spot she might take . She was fun on the field and off the field . I remember she was bothered by the amount of women's women on most of the female teams and felt the harassment wasn't worth making the team for .

Any way , there are some great female athletes out there but there is undeniable fundamental differences between adult male and female bodies . I believe , just like in the work place , if artificial barriers are erected to skew participation , someone who is more talented will be denied in favor of social equality . If athletic placement is based strictly on natural talent , no I don't see it happening anytime soon , but social emasculation may have the finale say .

In the mean time , lets enjoy sports while they're still real .------ Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    Just watched the woman's downhill snowboarding (am sure that it has a special name). Quite entertaining.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    February 16, 2024

This ten year old thread has been bumped. Let's go back to the original question ... no need to post the answer, as we all know what it is.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    If you want to get a good laugh, google Jennifer Welter....she carried the ball 3 times in some Indoor Football semi-pro league, and got JACKED UP each time. 10x worse than Kam Chancellor lighting up D. Thomas on Denver's first series in the Super Bowl.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was only able to find video of one of her three attempts and it looked like a pretty normal play. Solid tackle, nothing ridiculous, definitely not a "JACKED UP!" type hit.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Arod
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    I would not be at all surprised if we see the first female NBA player within ten years (since other than the ball being an inch smaller in circumference the rules aren't that different). I'd rather see one in MLB though...girls have been in Little League since what, mid 70s or so? The trouble is they're usually forced to play softball in HS (nothing against softball mind you, but it's a totally different sport than baseball), because a lot of idiots think the two games are interchangeable (they're not!!). Seriously, this is 2014, there should not be any boy's sports or girl's sports, they're just SPORTS (thank you Peggy Hill...).
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>Ann Meyers Drysdale actually had a contract with the Pacers back in 1980. As a big UCLA fan I remember she was big time back then but didn't recall she actually got paid by a men's professional team. According to Wiki:

In 1980, Meyers made NBA history when she signed a $50,000 no-cut contract with NBA's Indiana Pacers.[5] She participated in three-day tryouts for the team, the first by any woman for the NBA, but eventually was not chosen for the final squad.[10]

BACK to your question... NO. >>

Wait a second, if she had a no-cut contract, how did she not make the final roster? Don't you have to be CUT for that to happen? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Barstool has all 3 carries. The one you saw was probably the tamest of the three.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was only able to find video of one of her three attempts and it looked like a pretty normal play. Solid tackle, nothing ridiculous, definitely not a "JACKED UP!" type hit. >>

She gets knocked pretty hard. Got up though.

link
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    And not a horrible run ... looks like they started at the 2 yard line and she got inside the 1 then got knocked back.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Was only able to find video of one of her three attempts and it looked like a pretty normal play. Solid tackle, nothing ridiculous, definitely not a "JACKED UP!" type hit. >>

She gets knocked pretty hard. Got up though.

link >>

That's the one I saw - a pretty average, normal tackle.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget YAC; you knew there wouldn't even be IAC. Her best bet was to get lost in traffic.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Basketball, baseball and football. NO. Could a female be a competitive golfer???? Doubt it; but the only sport that I could ever imagine a female in.
  • Options
    Golf is a possibility but not on a week-in, week-out basis. Female golfers simply don't have the power and distance to compete regularly with the guys. On a select basis on a short course for a week? Sure. Michelle Wie and Annika Sorenstam tried it and were not successful.

Bowling is another possibility. Strength isn't as much of an issue but is still a factor.

Perhaps pool. Strength is a non-issue, so maybe that one.

But a team sport? Never gonna happen.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it that there is interest in the topic of seeing a woman being on a men's pro sports team (or college, or high school)?

Is it somehow a desirable goal to see this happen? If so, why?

Why not ask the same thing in reverse [Will we see a man on a women's pro sports team?]? If so, when? If not, why not?

The idea of "equality" is something that can be taken too far.

Equal opportunity, yes that is great.

Equal outcome, that is just wrong and flies in the face of human nature. Not everyone is willing or able to provide equal input, thus equal outcome is just not in the cards.

Men and women are different. Men are in general bigger and physically stronger. Women are tougher in many ways then men (i.e. they carry a child for 9 months and give birth; and I doubt that men would be willing or able to do so [though some folks probably yearn for the day when men can get pregnant and give birth, a la the Arnold/Devito movie on this subject].

My 2 cents.

• Options

<< <i>Why is it that there is interest in the topic of seeing a woman being on a men's pro sports team (or college, or high school)? >>

I suppose the Winter Games piqued my curiosity. We generally see very few women participate in sports at a very high level. Olympic events are an exception.

• Options
    Indeed, when a girl makes good on a HS football team, she's treated as a hero. But suppose a boy wants to play HS volleyball...but the only team is girls only? Then what happens?
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Indeed, when a girl makes good on a HS football team, she's treated as a hero. But suppose a boy wants to play HS volleyball...but the only team is girls only? Then what happens? >>

He gets slammed because all of the girls will say he just wants to get a close view of them in their spanks
  • Options
    You brought attention to it and now the link is deleted, was hoping to see the running back
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Some might say Danica Patrick? But I don't consider Nascar a "sport" and not a team sport either...
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a NASCAR fan but I would say it is a sport. I would say it is a team sport. I would say Danica Patrick is a woman.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    I like Danica. Always seems to be in the middle of a wreck in the big races.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    If ya going go the racing route.
    Shirley cha cha muldowney was very successful in NHRA top fuel drag racing
    back when it was 99.9% men
    Nowadays girls drive far more often..ie John Forc'e daughter

btw I satnad corrected...Ann Meyers not N L
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets