Home Precious Metals
Options

Question about shipping silver eagle rolls.

Eagles seem to rattle in the mint tubes. Is it wise to put a small wedge of paper in the tube to keep the coins quiet in transit, of will the purist buyers object to the foreign object?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Eagles seem to rattle in the mint tubes. Is it wise to put a small wedge of paper in the tube to keep the coins quiet in transit, of will the purist buyers object to the foreign object? >>

Apmex ships them as they are. I usually put a piece of foam or cardboard to avoid any movement.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. Foam sounds like a good option.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    foam peanut under the cap. Secure cap with tape so it does not pop off during shipment. If shipping two or more tubes, consider moving up to a medium flat rate priority box. 40 ounces in a small flat rate box catches many postal handlers by surprise and box tends to get dropped a lot.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    Apmex actually puts foam and secures top with tape (I had tubes of 10)
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ship as is, that way I can claim that they were unopened by me. As long as the rims are the high point/s it shouldn't matter. Be advised that unless one has his own insurance, the USPS will not cover them unless they are sent registered mail.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Apmex actually puts foam and secures top with tape (I had tubes of 10) >>

I just got two rolls of 20 each from Apmex. There was tape, but no foam. The coins were loose inside the taped tube.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    They are loose in the tube the minute they ship from the mint.

• Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    I ship full tubes untouched as is. I think any movement is minimal.
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Apmex actually puts foam and secures top with tape (I had tubes of 10) >>

None of my tubes from APMEX have ever had foam that I am aware of. Tape, yes.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I ship full tubes untouched as is. I think any movement is minimal. >>

Not concerned about the movement, but rather the noise. don't want to tip off anyone regarding the contents.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a tip. I've saved all those little blue fake coins in the US Mint packaging. Remember those? They work
    great as fillers on tube coins.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>

Not concerned about the movement, but rather the noise. don't want to tip off anyone regarding the contents. >>

That is my concern too.
  • Options

<< <i>Here's a tip. I've saved all those little blue fake coins in the US Mint packaging. Remember those? They work
    great as fillers on tube coins.

bobimage >>

Yes Bob, those are perfect!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not concerned about the movement, but rather the noise. don't want to tip off anyone regarding the contents. >>

That is my concern too. >>

Mine also. As others have said, I stick a folded piece of paper or a foam pnut in there and tape the lid down to prevent rattling and to prevent the top from coming off spilling the coins all in the box if not secured properly. If they do this they will rattle sho' nuff. It's easier to secure something heavy to keep it from moving than it is to stop it once it has begun to move. Bags of 90% come to mind also. I always over pack tightly.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>

Never really worried about it THAT much. As long as the cap stays on, the long lip should prevent rattling. One can always put a wadded up Kleenex on top if noise is an issue. I try to avoid the appearance of my rolls being picked over.
  • Options

<< <i>Never really worried about it THAT much. As long as the cap stays on, the long lip should prevent rattling. One can always put a wadded up Kleenex on top if noise is an issue. I try to avoid the appearance of my rolls being picked over. >>

ASE buyers looking for 70's should stick to sealed mint boxes. All others are very subject to being "picked over," especially tubes bought from big name dealers.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Never really worried about it THAT much. As long as the cap stays on, the long lip should prevent rattling. One can always put a wadded up Kleenex on top if noise is an issue. I try to avoid the appearance of my rolls being picked over. >>

ASE buyers looking for 70's should stick to sealed mint boxes. All others are very subject to being "picked over," especially tubes bought from big name dealers. >>

To me being picked over would be getting a tube/roll where most of the coins have issues like spots, dings, scrapes, gouges or other blemishes. Of the 2 rolls I've opened so far [1 each of 201 & 2014] the coins inside all look pretty nice.