Home Sports Talk
Options

Baseball HOF the Five

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
A writer (not bill James) at billjamesonline.com wrote an article on the five players he would pick to explain baseball to someone who knows nothing about it. His intro:

This question, I think, is not about identifying the five greatest players. Greatest certainly counts, of course, but the question demands a slightly different tact. What five players would best represent the story of baseball’s history? What five players would you pick to talk about, if you had to explain baseball someone who knows nothing about the game?

Who are your five? To the surprise of no one, the first player he picked was Ruth. He attempted to cover each era of baseball.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My top 5, from a historical standpoint, which I suppose is more heavily weighted towards pre-war players:

Ruth
    Cobb
    Williams
    Mays
    Walter Johnson

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    Ty Cobb.....personification of the dead ball era
    Babe Ruth.....is Babe Ruth, but his story is also a changing of eras from the dead ball to what it evolved to now.
    Jackie Robinson....self explanatory
    Mickey Mantle....the face of the Golden Age, then I can also tell the story of the greatest hitter that ever lived who also played in that era, Ted Williams image Yeah, I snuck in a sixth image
    Barry Bonds......the greatest of the modern age, and who also highlights free agency, player/owner strife, and PED, all of which dominated the modern era, and truly left no 'face of the game' for this era.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my five:

Babe Ruth - Going from the "dead ball" to the "lively ball" era
    Ted Williams - Players going off to World War II (and Korea), and the fact that baseball continued at the request of FDR, to provide a sort of "normalcy" and "respite" for the masses. Got to throw in Jerry Coleman here also, the only major leaguer EVER to serve in combat in two different wars.
    Jackie Robinson - Racial climate and the breaking of the color barrier
    Hank Aaron - Breaking Ruth's home run record and the continuing racial difficulties he encountered
    Barry Bonds - PED era

The only problem I have here is that this leaves out the "dead ball" era. I'm not sure who you'd go with for it.....either Cobb or Cy Young.

Steve
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On further reflection, I might just go with Shoeless Joe Jackson for the "dead ball" era. As good a hitter as Cobb, and his involvement in the Black Sox scandal. Then how baseball has dealt with the gambling issue.....all leading up to the Pete Rose scandal. Then you could have the argument about which is worse; gambling, or PEDs.

Steve
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    A Rod, Keith Hernandez, Pete Rose, Darryl Strawberry, Al Kaline.

The first four would be the lesson on what to avoid.

Kaline would be the lesson on how to excel.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Jackie Robinson, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My top 5, from a historical standpoint, which I suppose is more heavily weighted towards pre-war players:

Ruth
    Cobb
    Williams
    Mays
    Walter Johnson >>

I don't think you could make a better qualified list than that. Especially if you count the years Ted missed during WWII.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    My five member coaching team:

Walter Johnson - The fundamentals of pitching
    Ted Williams - How to play/the fundamentals of hitting and fielding
    Lou Gehrig - How to lead a team with class
    Jackie Robinson - How to properly run the bases and how to stand up to adversity
    Greg Maddux - A smart modern player to teach the finer points of pitching

IMO there is nothing Willie Mays can teach a new player that Ted Williams can't and I would much prefer to hear it from Williams (the epitome of class and talent).

I wouldn't want Ty Cobb on my coaching staff solely because he would probably kill Jackie. That, and I don't want my new player to think it's okay to slide into a base with spikes up. I also wouldn't want Ruth on the list. By far the most talented hitter available, but he isn't the best ambassador to the game (like Mantle).

I need at least one modern player in the mix, someone to teach the new player how to play the game today. So it has to be someone with a ton of baseball knowledge and I picked a pitcher so we had two.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My top 5, from a historical standpoint, which I suppose is more heavily weighted towards pre-war players:

Ruth
    Cobb
    Williams
    Mays
    Walter Johnson >>

I sure can not find anywhere to dispute this list.Good Job!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What five players would best represent the story of baseball’s history? What five players would you pick to talk about, if you had to explain baseball someone who knows nothing about the game? >>

For that specific question, I agree with SDSportsFan and Brick's five (going back and forth with Rose or Aaron depending on the day).
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    If we are going to be telling the history to someone who knows nothing about the game, wouldn't you think one of their questions might be "why do the players make so much money"? Free Agency is a HUGE part of baseball today and for that reason I think one guy who HAS to be part of the story is:

CURT FLOOD
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Good point, Doug. I wouldn't have any problem replacing Aaron or Rose with Flood.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    Babe Ruth, Jackie Robinson, Mickey Mantle, Barry Bonds and Derek Jeter. I selected one historically representative player for each generation of baseball fans.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mays, Ruth, Cobb, Ryan and Bonds

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Looking at the great lists everyone has contributed, here's my five, in chronological order (with a brief explanation).
    1. Joe Jackson (was involved in the first major scandal in baseball and, for the first time, affirmed the power of the commissioner's office.)
    2. Babe Ruth (brought the game to new heights of popularity, and put baseball on a worldwide stage.)
    3. Jackie Robinson (opened the doors to tens of thousands of qualified players, both in America and abroad, and forever changed the game)
    4. Curt Flood (ushered in a new era of baseball, one in which the players were on more or less equal footing with their employers, for the first time in history.)
    5. Barry Bonds (along with countless others, changed the perception of an entire era of the game, and forced writers to reinterpret the value of statistics, which previously had been thought of as unimpeachable)