Home Stamps Forum
Options

100's of stamps

jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
I just foun 100's if not a 1000 unused stamps. Most are on 4 panels.
Help I know nothing about them.. Need help
Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what you mean, but please post a photo of one so we can understand.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I might buy some from you if I could see what they are ... like what decade? can you give us an approximate era? old or modern? lick the back or self-adhesive?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    most look like 50's 60's and 70's .
    1975 - 79 mint commemorative sets?
    one of the envelopes says "credo-Lincoln." inside is a sheet of 4 4 cent stamps?
    Literally 100's..
    Collector Focus

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a link to the Mystic Stamp Catalog.

It lists all U.S. postage stamps, along with general value estimates. It should help you pinpoint the dates of the stamps you have, along with giving you a rough estimate of their values.

Steve
  • Options
    Thanks Steve
    Collector Focus

• Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Those aren't "values" in the Mystic catalog. Those are the prices they sell them for and way overpriced at that. So I wouldn't get your hopes by looking at the prices in there. It's a great catalog but what you've come across generaly sells in bulk lots at anywhere from 60-75% of the face value.

I think by four panels you mean plate blocks.

Post some pics and we can help out.

• Options
    Collector Focus

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, with the "first day covers" in the first picture, dealers usually sell those for about a buck a piece. Covers (envelopes) that are addressed, are of course worth less than those without addresses on them.

Stamps like the ones in the last picture are basically best used for postage; that's the only way you'll get "face value" for them.

With the "plate blocks" in the third picture, you might (and that's a big might) have something that could be worth a few bucks. Right off the bat, the Mercury stamp is one of the most popular stamps ever issued. The key with these is that the block would need to be an actual "plate block", where there is a number in the blank area around the actual stamps (like on the Lincoln American Credo and Architecture blocks). If you have a block with only the stamps, or you have a block that has a slogan such as "mail early" or such, those aren't really worth anything extra.

I'm personally not familiar enough with the large cards (I think they're usually called "maximum cards") in the second picture, so I can't really say anything about them.

Good luck with them, and if you have any more stamps you'd like some help with, go for it!

Steve
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Yup, Steve got it.

Looks like a nice start to a collection of plate blocks. Collecting those was extremely popular back then and some lots of them still sell pretty well.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I figured they were not worth much but just checking before they go..
    Collector Focus