Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My final newp of January 2014: a rare Anglo-Saxon penny

This penny is from the reign of Eadwig of Wessex, who ruled from 955 to 959. He was the elder son of Eadmund, but succeeded to the throne from his uncle, Eadred.

Here's a refresher of the line of the Kings of Wessex, starting from Ecgberht (802-839) --> Aethelwulf (839-858) and Aethelbald (855-860, with no known coins)
Aethelwulf --> Aethelberht (858-865/866), Aethelred I (865/866-871), Aelfred the Great (871-899)
Aelfred --> Edward the Elder (899-924) --> Aethelstan (924-939, Rex Totius Britanniae), Eadmund (939-946), Eadred (946-955)
Eadmund --> Eadwig (955-959) and Eadgar (959-973 King of all England; 973-975 King of England)

From the Baldwin web site (my very first purchase from them, and couldn't be happier!):

Eadwig, non-portrait Penny, North Western style, Moneyer Agtardes, small cross pattée within linear circle, m in field, +EADPIG REX, outer linear and beaded circle surrounding, rev Moneyer name in two lines, three crosses across centre, rosette of pellets above and below, AGTAR / DES MOT, outer linear and beaded border surrounding, 1.20g (N.725; S.1122). Toned, a little scuffed, otherwise almost extremely fine and very rare.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, but can't see the pic.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds good, but can't see the pic. >>

Seriously, what?!? Check out the thread ATS and see if you have same issue.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin, Eadwig's a rare bird
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, and I'm having no problem seeing the pics! image
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Well I can see it from home, not sure what's up with the work computer.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    A very nice example. I like the toning. The "scuffs" must be trivial, because I don't see them in the picture.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

JCM - maybe your work firewall filters out addresses from unsigned sites. I host my own images via a free DDNS service, then setup my own router to route http traffic to my iMac at home.

<< <i>A very nice example. I like the toning. The "scuffs" must be trivial, because I don't see them in the picture. >>

Yeah, I don't see the scuffs either. What's apparent but unmentioned is the obverse doubling (which Steve Hill did mention via email) and the slight metal fatigue.

As a whole, I was very pleased with the coin in hand. I feel it's slightly better than as portrayed in their digital image.

Btw, guys, this is one of those monarchs where it doesn't really make sense to get both non-portrait and portrait types. There is only a single portrait Eadwig type, and its catalog price is £24000 in VF. Ouch!

EVP

• Options
    Do you know the significance of the "M" on the obverse below the cross?

I have seen this issue with this M before, in fact the Spink guide has a picture of one, but no mention of the significance of the M.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you know the significance of the "M" on the obverse below the cross?

I have seen this issue with this M before, in fact the Spink guide has a picture of one, but no mention of the significance of the M. >>

I don't know, but can speculate...

The moneyers back then had a monopoly, and will frequently apply a special mark on specific dies for quality and inventory control purposes. For example, the moneyers of York would frequently apply a circular privy mark on the dies for coins to be issued to the Arch-Bishop.

In other cases, they simply wanted to what was going on with their apprentices or sub-contractors.

But, I'm only speculating...

EVP

• Options
    Could be. I think the later Anglo-Saxon coinage like Edward the Confessor frequently had an annulet or a cross to signify an ecclesiastic mintage, but I didn't know the earlier coins had that.

I did a little reading, there were some other symbols found on late Saxon coins, including letters and symbols, most of which are not yet understood, but postulated to distinguish between first and subsequent issues of coinage or between moneyers with the same name.

Here's some further reading if interested. This is from BNJ 1917 so the info may be a little dated, but it's written reasonably well.

It'd be interesting to note whether other issues by the moneyer Agtar have this symbol. Given the rarity of Eadwig coins, I doubt there are any huge hoards to examine.
  • Options
    Could be. I think the later Anglo-Saxon coinage like Edward the Confessor frequently had an annulet or a cross to signify an ecclesiastic mintage, but I didn't know the earlier coins had that.

Those symbols were common from York issues of the latter period. But, I speculate that they also existed in the middle period too, as the Archbishoprics of York and Canterbury must have gotten their money somehow.

In any case, I don't think this "M" is to mark payment to the Church. I think it is a control symbol for the moneyer. But, again, I speculate.

EVP