Home Sports Talk
Options

Memo to all players who have NFL aspirations

No one cares about what you do in the privacy of your own bedroom.

Sports fans only care about how you perform on the field.

Shame on ESPN that they feel that this is a "Sports Story".

What's your headline going to be tomorrow ESPN ? Dennis Rodman prefers a ménage a trois ?

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    If you don't think people care then you're a naive fool.

What you meant to say is that it shouldn't be a story and hopefully someday we as a nation can get there.
  • Options
    If no one cared it wouldn't be on ESPN
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I just hope they don't do anything like this again!
    link
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that on many occasions when Edmundfitzgerald posts a thread or a reply in a thread, 1985fan will post a reply to same usually within minutes (i.e. it took only 3 minutes in this thread and 8 minutes in another thread posted today).

I wonder if he is constantly logged onto the Sports Forum just waiting to quickly pounce on any reply from Edmundfitzgerald.

I will have to look at prior threads to see if Edmundfitzgerald replies as quickly to threads or replies posted by 1985fan.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I have noticed that on many occasions when Edmundfitzgerald posts a thread or a reply in a thread, 1985fan will post a reply to same usually within minutes (i.e. it took only 3 minutes in this thread and 8 minutes in another thread posted today).

I wonder if he is constantly logged onto the Sports Forum just waiting to quickly pounce on any reply from Edmundfitzgerald.

I will have to look at prior threads to see if Edmundfitzgerald replies as quickly to threads or replies posted by 1985fan. >>

Love is a tricky thing, it's best not to get involved.
  • Options

<< <i>I have noticed that on many occasions when Edmundfitzgerald posts a thread or a reply in a thread, 1985fan will post a reply to same usually within minutes (i.e. it took only 3 minutes in this thread and 8 minutes in another thread posted today).

I wonder if he is constantly logged onto the Sports Forum just waiting to quickly pounce on any reply from Edmundfitzgerald. >>

Nope. Just happened to log in today randomly and saw it.

<< <i>
    I will have to look at prior threads to see if Edmundfitzgerald replies as quickly to threads or replies posted by 1985fan. >>

I doubt it. He probably only gets internet time at his facility once a day.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<If you don't think people care then you're a naive fool.>>>

I guess it depends on how we define "people".

"People" in the media want us to care, so they can have a reason to have a year-long discussion on the topic. Given their liberal slant, I'm sure the majority of them desperately want Sam to succeed, so we can say that they care. "People" that have no interest in sports, but have huge interest in equal rights, certainly care. "People" that are employed by the 32 NFL franchises definitely care, and will be evaluating if they have the proper culture in place to accept Michael Sam (I would say most don't). But, I agree with edmundfitzgerald that the majority of "people" that are sports fans of their teams, don't really care if Sam is gay or not, as long as he can ring up double digit sacks every year.

No doubt fans in different parts of the country will have differing views, but I bet if you would poll people in Boston (which doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation as a tolerant city), the vast majority, (including me), would gladly have Sam play for the Patriots if they thought he could help them win. To me, that's another way of saying that "people don't care".

<<<What you meant to say is that it shouldn't be a story and hopefully someday we as a nation can get there.>>>

Anytime there is a "first time" for something, it has to be a story, it's just the way it is. Michael Sam will receive the "Tim Tebow treatment" from ESPN, and to be honest, deserves it much more than Tebow ever did.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Clark Kent often arrived shortly after Superman departed.
  • Options

<< <i><<<If you don't think people care then you're a naive fool.>>>

I guess it depends on how we define "people".

"People" in the media want us to care, so they can have a reason to have a year-long discussion on the topic. >>

The countless tweets and posts in general on social media would shoot down this assessment. This is a big deal, whether or not you want to admit it. There's hope now that this has happened the next time it won't be a big deal.

<< <i>Given their liberal slant, I'm sure the majority of them desperately want Sam to succeed, so we can say that they care. >>

Liberal media? LOL ok guy.

<< <i>"People" that have no interest in sports, but have huge interest in equal rights, certainly care. "People" that are employed by the 32 NFL franchises definitely care, and will be evaluating if they have the proper culture in place to accept Michael Sam (I would say most don't). But, I agree with edmundfitzgerald that the majority of "people" that are sports fans of their teams, don't really care if Sam is gay or not, as long as he can ring up double digit sacks every year. >>

His team knew he was gay before this season started. There was no discord in the locker room. If a team is so pathetically undermanaged that they are afraid of not being able to succeed with Sam then there's a reason they're a terrible team to begin with. You think the Patriots would struggle with him? The steelers? The awful teams with no infrastructure in place will pass and they will certainly continue to be terrible if they are so afraid of the media coverage that will certainly follow Sam.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first step in making this a non issue is guys like these keeping their mouth shut and acting the way they do and not making an issue of it by "Coming out" if you want to lay down with another man then go for it but please dont tell me about it.

Lets see how fast 1985 fan jumps to the rescue and carves that up image
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I think it is significant because you still have NFL players (and many others including states that won't let people marry each other) making homophobic comments. Thus it s a huge story. What will happen? Will the NFL teams collectively pass on him to a lower round than he "should" be picked because of ability? Let's wait and see. He's the SEC defensive player of the year but shown as mid-third round because of his size. If he goes 5th or 6th round I think we all know why he slips! Until our society truly doesn't care and treats everybody EQUAL it's a story.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A GM is going to think twice about bringing that media circus to town. If he's a can't miss player, that's one thing, but scouting reports have raised some issues about his success probablity at the NFL level, so all things equal, why would you want to invite the media fanfare this guy is going to attract to your locker room, with an early round pick? Only a team with very strong leadership, like New England, would be possible fit for something like that, and after last year's Tebow ridiculousness at every preseason press conference, even Hoodie might not be willing to deal with all that media hype again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    He needs to go to the Raiders, they hired the first Latino coach, first african american head coach, they hired misfits and weirdos, and now they want character guys in the Dennis Allen regime. This young man is soft spoken man. He had a sister die in infancy, two brothers in prison with one missing since 1998, and watched his brother getting murdered. And he went and found he was talented at a sport, went and got a college degree he could never play a down in the NFL and be a success to society! He made it out of the slums and now just because he is diffrent should have no merritt on his athletic talent. In the Jerry Smith documentary they said even Lombardi himself wouldn't tolerate homophobic comments so why should any of the other 32 other coaches if Hoodie really is the best of the generation it shouldn't be a problem for him to man up and deffend his own players instead of trying to sneak around other practice facilitys. I've been in a diversity class at my small college and after several people talked one very old woman, listened to a young gay man talk about what he had put up with over 20 years of his life. She stood up and said id spent six months in a concentration camp during the holocaust and even I couldn't handle what you have been through. It's good that some people are starting to tolerate homosexual's you don't have to like it or you can believe what they are doing is a sin but they are people and it's very important that we still learn tolerance and accept the changes. I hope my team is the one that drafts Michael Sam, I want my team to be the one that says you know what this is a good kid with a lot of talent who can come in on third down and get off the edge! That's all he wants too, he knew saying his preference wasn't going to help his stock in the draft but he got it off his chest so that he can inspire hopes and dreams and hopefully an entire fanbase. The media will be a circus but if he plays in my teams colors ill root for him, if he plays for Denver well F*** him! lol

John stewart made a good point if he had just killed somebody vehicular manslaughter (Donte Stallworth) Or obstructed justice in a murder trial (Ray Lewis) Or been accused of sexual assault (Roethlisberger, Lawrence Taylor ect.) Or screamed the N word on the internet (Riley Cooper) or taken a bunch of bribes from shady people in college (Bush, Manziel, Terrell Pryor) Or killed a bunch of puppies (Michael Vick) instead of being himself he would be perfect Nfl material
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is significant because you still have NFL players (and many others including states that won't let people marry each other) making homophobic comments. Thus it s a huge story. What will happen? Will the NFL teams collectively pass on him to a lower round than he "should" be picked because of ability? Let's wait and see. He's the SEC defensive player of the year but shown as mid-third round because of his size. If he goes 5th or 6th round I think we all know why he slips! Until our society truly doesn't care and treats everybody EQUAL it's a story. >>

Actually, he was ranked *as high as* a 3rd round pick down to not being drafted at all. If he does go in the 5th or 6th round, then he beat some projections prior to his announcement.

It makes no difference to me if someone's skin is purple and enjoys midnight strolls through the local dump. It's about the merit of his football abilities on a professional level.

Additionally, no two athletes are truly equal. They are individuals with different skill sets that may have similar attributes but are never equal. If there ever comes a day in which sports must be played on a perceived "level" playing field by removing or adding skill (with handicaps for the superior athletes and/or artificial boosts for the inferior ones), the art of competition will be lost and I'll have zero interest watching it. TIES FOR ALL! YAAAY!
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    <<<This is a big deal, whether or not you want to admit it. There's hope now that this has happened the next time it won't be a big deal.>>>

I fully recognize that this is a big deal. In fact, it is a HUGE deal. There have been a lot "firsts" in pro sports. I would argue this is the biggest since Jackie Robinson. That doesn't mean the media won't want to make this a story long after the public has accepted it and stopped caring about it.

<<<His team knew he was gay before this season started. There was no discord in the locker room.>>>

His situation at Missouri and his situation for whatever NFL drafts him is apples and oranges. At Missouri, he was entering his senior season and was a leader on the team, and friends with guys for 2-3 years. Some (most?) on team probably already knew, or at least suspected, he was gay. In the NFL, he is going to enter the locker room with 52 other guys that have no personal connections to him. He is going to have to overcome a LOT to stick in the league. I give him a lot of credit for coming out now.

<<<and after last year's Tebow ridiculousness at every preseason press conference, even Hoodie might not be willing to deal with all that media hype again.>>>

Tebow was a non-story in New England during camp last year. Other than a few days when they signed him, and the day they released him, you barely heard about him. Maybe there was a question or two at each press conference, but after the standard "we are evaluating Tim just like every other player in camp" answer from Belichick, eventually reporters stopped asking about Tebow. Given that Sam is 10x the story that Tebow was, it will be so much harder, but I think Belichick would use similar tactics to play down the Sam story. The difference this time is that the story is so big, instead of giving up 2 weeks into camp, reporters won't stop asking about Sam until probably halfway through the season.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This kid is going to get punished on draft day. Couple his revelation with the fact that he's an undersized DE, and I'm afraid he's going to be up against it from the outset. Moreover, if you pull out a shovel, 9 of his 11.5 sacks came against Arkansas St, Vandy and a sorry Florida team.

If this were Jadeveon Clowney, I doubt it would have as grave an effect. If you're a true stud, you can commit manslaughter and someone will still want you. But a guy with question marks even prior to his announcement? Get ready to slide, young man.
  • Options

<< <i>The first step in making this a non issue is guys like these keeping their mouth shut and acting the way they do and not making an issue of it by "Coming out" if you want to lay down with another man then go for it but please dont tell me about it. >>

Gay athletes have always kept their mouth shut about their sexuality, therefore according to your logic this story is already a non-issue
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't help but wonder if this kid is following the Jason Collins model (which failed miserably) of 'coincidentally' coming out right before he looks for a job.
    Collins' attempt failed because he was mediocre at his best and on the downhill slide; for Sam it remains to be seen. He's good but not superstar material at the pro level... and teams looking at him should judge him by his play and not get influenced by all this other nonsense one way or the other.
    Will someone give him a shot? Probably. Let's hope it's for the right reasons.

Edit for typo

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    <<<If you're a true stud, you can commit manslaughter and someone will still want you.>>>

Absolutely true...in a few years, we might find out how true this is if Hernandez gets off....
  • Options

<< <i><<<If you're a true stud, you can commit manslaughter and someone will still want you.>>>

Absolutely true...in a few years, we might find out how true this is if Hernandez gets off.... >>

No way Hernandez gets out before retirement age.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I hear, he's going to play hard.
  • Options

<< <i>I hear, he's going to play hard. >>

imageimage

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    <<<No way Hernandez gets out before retirement age. >>>

You are assuming that he goes to jail in the first place. There are only 3 people that know who pulled the trigger that night, and one is not going to be called as a witness.

Link

While I'm pretty confident it was Hernandez that shot Lloyd, I'm sure his lawyers can paint a different picture....Never underestimate how dumb most jurors are.
  • Options
    Guilty or not, Hernandez should be worried. I don't know that I would want my fate resting in the hands of 12 people too dumb to know how to get out of jury duty.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guilty or not, Hernandez should be worried. I don't know that I would want my fate resting in the hands of 12 people too dumb to know how to get out of jury duty. >>

Still a few humble folks that feel privileged to participate in our justice system.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Guilty or not, Hernandez should be worried. I don't know that I would want my fate resting in the hands of 12 people too dumb to know how to get out of jury duty. >>

Still a few humble folks that feel privileged to participate in our justice system. >>

I served federal jury duty last year. It was an honor and a privilege. And, really, when I ask myself the question "Would I want someone like me on the jury if I were accused of something I did not do?", my answer is yes (of course). And that alone means that I will serve jury duty every single time I get called.
  • Options
    Geesh. Folks can't recognize a jest when they see it. Lighten up.

I've been called 4 times in my life but the only time I actually made it to a jury was on a personal injury case. After 4 days of both witness and agonizingly detailed medical testimony (the injury was never called into question so we never understood why that level of detail was necessary), it was finally decided that he was actually suing the wrong business entity and the case was dismissed without prejudice so that they could refile. Sigh. Can you say waste of time?

I served federal jury duty last year. It was an honor and a privilege. And, really, when I ask myself the question "Would I want someone like me on the jury if I were accused of something I did not do?", my answer is yes (of course). And that alone means that I will serve jury duty every single time I get called.

You really don't have a choice about getting called. As to making the jury, either you make the final cut or don't.

(edited for typo)

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

<< <i><<<No way Hernandez gets out before retirement age. >>>

You are assuming that he goes to jail in the first place. There are only 3 people that know who pulled the trigger that night, and one is not going to be called as a witness.

Link

While I'm pretty confident it was Hernandez that shot Lloyd, I'm sure his lawyers can paint a different picture....Never underestimate how dumb most jurors are. >>

I suppose anything is possible, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a lengthy prison sentence, much less walks. JMO..