Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Exotic UK change

In UK at the moment. Yesterday I got a 1999 Falklands Islands £1 in change. How common is it to come across these "exotics" like F Isl, Jersey, Guernsey, St Helena, Gibraltar (and probably a bunch of others I can't recall off the top of my head)? Are there any that are more common/rare than others? When you get them in change, do you keep them?

Cheers,

Auto

(who will now be looking even more closely at his UK change)
A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.

Comments

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a friend over there who said counterfeit pounds are common too. You could get fakes of any of the different types mixed freely with the real ones.
  • Options
    Got a fake pound last time I was here. It has an "impossible" combination between reverse type and date, and looks a bit clumsy compared to a real one. Needless to say, I was delighted to receive it and have kept it. Of course, this does not mean that I do not condemn forgery in the strongest possible terms. From what I understand, about 1 in 30 pound coins is fake. Probably an emerging collecting area.

Cheers,

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Non-UK pound issues such as Isle of Man, Jersey and Gibraltar are fairly scarce - I get one every 200 or so pounds I receive. I keep any with cool designs - these tend to be Isle of Man and Gibraltar. Also, Northern Ireland issues the occasional commemorative pound coins that make it over here to Scotland, but they also use the general currency of the UK.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Automan, is it the counterfeits which you think may be an emerging market? or the genuines?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I was thinking that the fakes might be a fun collecting area. Also quite inexpensive. Not that it would have much economic potential, but it might be interesting to compile a bunch of them and see if they can be categorized stylistically, by weight, "impossible" design/date combinations, etc. Not sure if it is legal to have large amounts of fakes, though...

Cheers,

Auto
  • Options
    Here's a completely uninteresting update to an old thread: Still in the UK and today I got a Gibraltar pound in change! It's a quite worn 2008 with a Neanderthal skull reverse.

Cheers,

Auto
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Cool image photo?

I should take a trip to Europe. Any interesting currency?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE