Home Sports Talk
Options

Sochi Olympics

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
Given the "unrest" and what appears to be a high potential for terrorism there, I wonder how the runner-up, Salzburg, Austria didn't get chosen.

Having chosen Rio de Janiero, Brazil for the next Summer olympic venue, where crime and poverty is rampant, coupled with the Sochi decision, is the Olympic Committee more focused on political concerns and not quality and safety of participating athletes?

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    It boggles my mind to hear these pundits talk about the potential for terrorism and how its a given. Using the air of superiority about the US but never once mentioning the most recent terrorism attack happened right here in the US.

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    apparently, slopestyle competition is the terrorist.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the games. It is a nice respite from the usual television lineup.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Americans can try to talk down other places and countries all they want but the fact is the US has a higher crime rate than most European, Asian and Australasian countries. The 1996 Olympics in Atlanta were the last Olympics where a successful terrorist attack was carried out. America believes they are the best in the world at law enforcement but past events have proven that is a mistaken opinion.

I looked into making the trip to this Olympiad but have ultimately decided against it. The decision had nothing to do with safety concerns. It had to do with logistical issues, issues such as visas, lodging, etc. that and Sochi isn't the easiest place to get in and out of from the West Coast of the US.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Salzburg didn't get chosen probably because Europe would've been only one Olympiad removed from the last time the winter games were in Europe. Winter Olympics go to Korea in 2018. The Reno-Tahoe area is interested in going after the 2022 games and hopefully the USOC will back that bid.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It boggles my mind to hear these pundits talk about the potential for terrorism and how its a given. Using the air of superiority about the US but never once mentioning the most recent terrorism attack happened right here in the US. >>

The two bombings in Russia don't count?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It boggles my mind to hear these pundits talk about the potential for terrorism and how its a given. Using the air of superiority about the US but never once mentioning the most recent terrorism attack happened right here in the US. >>

The two bombings in Russia don't count? >>

why would they?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The two bombings in Russia don't count? >>

why would they? >>

Because they were terrorist attacks. What, you don't count them as terrorist attacks because only dozens of people were killed, and not hundreds or thousands?
    http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21592672-russians-feel-vulnerable-after-two-bombings-volgograd-will-there-be-more
  • Options
    But they weren't attacks that happened at the Olympics, or even in the same city. The Atlanta bombing, that happened on US SOIL, happened both DURING the Olympics and AT the Olympics, in the Olympic Park. Why in god's name would you equate what happened in Volgograd and Atlanta? Volgograd is over 400 miles away, and happened before the Olympics even started.

Who wasn't counting the bombing there as a terrorist attack? I surely saw it as such. But the US media, the sports media in particular, has gone out of its way to paint the possibility of a terrorist attack at the games as little less than a formality, while conveniently ignoring the most recent terrorist attack happened right here at home. It feeds into the fear that the media in general paints to scare its viewers into feeling compelled to watch more of. Heck, that article you linked opened with a line that proves my point:

"IT WAS always a question of when rather than if."

But not a single, solitary mention of the Atlanta bombing. A perfect piece of US anti-Russia propaganda.

• Options

<< <i>But they weren't attacks that happened at the Olympics, or even in the same city. The Atlanta bombing, that happened on US SOIL, happened both DURING the Olympics and AT the Olympics, in the Olympic Park. Why in god's name would you equate what happened in Volgograd and Atlanta? Volgograd is over 400 miles away, and happened before the Olympics even started.

Who wasn't counting the bombing there as a terrorist attack? I surely saw it as such. But the US media, the sports media in particular, has gone out of its way to paint the possibility of a terrorist attack at the games as little less than a formality, while conveniently ignoring the most recent terrorist attack happened right here at home. It feeds into the fear that the media in general paints to scare its viewers into feeling compelled to watch more of. Heck, that article you linked opened with a line that proves my point:

"IT WAS always a question of when rather than if."

But not a single, solitary mention of the Atlanta bombing. A perfect piece of US anti-Russia propaganda. >>

Up until now, you never said you were talking about OLYMPIC terrorist attacks. You just said "the most recent terrorism attack happened right here in the US." Had you been clearer, I wouldn't have disagreed with you.

You're exaggerating when you say the US media says it's a given that there will be an attack at the Olympics. Who cares if a few people think that? Some people think we didn't land on the moon either.

The article was about Russia, so I'm not sure why you think that Atlanta should have been mentioned in it.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Up until now, you never said you were talking about OLYMPIC terrorist attacks. You just said "the most recent terrorism attack happened right here in the US." Had you been clearer, I wouldn't have disagreed with you. >>

My mistake. This was the Sochi Olympic thread so my assumption was it was a given we were talking about that. I should have been clearer.

<< <i>You're exaggerating when you say the US media says it's a given that there will be an attack at the Olympics. Who cares if a few people think that? Some people think we didn't land on the moon either. >>

The article you linked says it in the opening line, and I have seen the same sentiments being echoed in multiple media outlets.

<< <i>The article was about Russia, so I'm not sure why you think that Atlanta should have been mentioned in it. >>

It's about the Olympics, and the inevitability of a terrorist attack, it would have been easy to mention something along the lines of:

"Despite outstanding security, even the most secure of Olympic venues can be compromised. One need to only look back as recently as Atlanta in 1996 to see that the best security in the world can be breached."

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Really? What do you consider to be the most recent terrorist attack?
  • Options

<< <i>

Really? What do you consider to be the most recent terrorist attack? >>

Most recent Olympic terrorist attack? That would be Atlanta, 1996.
  • Options
    Enjoyed last evenings events. Nice winter backdrop in Sochi.

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    STOP SPREADING ANTI-RUSSIAN PROPAGANDA BECAUSE THE MOTHERLAND IS A SHINING EXAMPLE OF HUMAN RIGHTS, YOU SEE.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

The downhill is going to be murderous. A killer course.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Seems like they drained the amenities budget and put it all in security. It's kinda funny (but sad at the same time) seeing all the pictures being posted to Twitter showing off the "quality" of the "accommodations" prepared by the Russians for the US athletes, personnel, and media.

The water's yellow and undrinkable, so poison in the water supply won't be an issue.

The curtains are falling off the walls, giving terrorists one less place to hide.

The rooms are so secure that one athlete had to smash his way out of the bathroom because the door wouldn't open. Heh.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    NBC coverage sucks so far.

They're running the same taped stuff nationally right now that was on NBC Sports Network this morning, also taped then.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    #NBCFail
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>NBC coverage sucks so far.

They're running the same taped stuff nationally right now that was on NBC Sports Network this morning, also taped then. >>

That is to be expected. Still enjoying the games more that I thought. Pure hard athletic drama without the loudmouths.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Pretty exciting finish:

skiathalon
  • Options

<< <i>Pretty exciting finish:

skiathalon >>

Yes, watched that live early in the morning.

Dude was a beast passing on the hill. Looked like the others were standing still.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't watched one event, and don't plan to, but all I know is..............

In Soviet Russia, Olympics watch YOU!!

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pretty exciting finish:

skiathalon >>

I love how they all just collapse in a heap at the finish line... lol

I've really enjoyed watching these Olympics.