Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

BY REQUEST: A Bronze As of Galba

In another thread harasha and NiceCurrency asked for a coin from Galba, so here it is:

This is a Bronze as that was minted in Sept-Oct AD 68 at the Rome Mint. SR-2138

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
1987-C Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com

Comments

• Options
    excellent!
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Thank you, I like the color (as much as I can see of it) and the style. I used to own an example of the same type, but in lower grade, but like an idiot sold it, so I was happy to find this one late last year.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    BTW - Did your Julius Caesar come from another forum member?

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Yes LordM had that Julius Caesar, I've loved it since I first saw him post it and my mouth was agape when I saw him list it for sale

That Galba has an excellent portrait and the legends are virtually all there

Asses of Galba are much tougher than denarii right?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options

<< <i>Yes LordM had that Julius Caesar, I've loved it since I first saw him post it and my mouth was agape when I saw him list it for sale >>

I thought so, I had the chance to look at it is person in July, thought I remembered it. It is a great coin and a portrait of Caesar is not an easy thing, hold on to that coin for dear life.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>That Galba has an excellent portrait and the legends are virtually all there

Asses of Galba are much tougher than denarii right? >>

I think they are about on par, except that finding a nice looking bronze may take a little more time and searching.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to ask a question and at the same time show my ignorance. I know that most
    collectors like "crust" on their coins but I wonder if the competition across the street could
    "curate" this coin like they do U.S. coins?
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to ask a question and at the same time show my ignorance. I know that most
    collectors like "crust" on their coins but I wonder if the competition across the street could
    "curate" this coin like they do U.S. coins? >>

That sort of shiny green patina is prized on ancients. Don't mix it up with active verdigris or PVC residue on modern coins.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options

<< <i>I am going to ask a question and at the same time show my ignorance. I know that most
    "curate" this coin like they do U.S. coins? >>

The best way to learn is to ask. In the case of ancient bronze, it is natural for it to develop a thick coating called a patina. Such patinas can range in color from black to green to various shades of brown and gray, perhaps others as well. To remove a patina would be to do harm to a coin that could only be undone by the passing of ages.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com