Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry Set owners: have you ever gone through cycles when...

A number of coins you are interested are not in PCGS plastic, you can't seem to find coins that you like/need for your set that are already in PCGS plastic, and if you do run across coins that you are interested in that are already in PCGS plastic, they tend to sell for historically high if not highest prices?

I'm kind of going through this funk now...

I've gone 2 for 2 on crossovers recently; also in the last 2 months I've bought 2 PCGS and 6 non-PCGS coins (1 raw plus 3 other TPG slabbed are in for grading now), but statistically speaking I'm going to start getting some rejects soon.

Should I not tempt fate and just search for coins in PCGS plastic? Should I continue as I am doing and just be very strict on what I buy in non PCGS plastic?

Would love to get your thoughts and/or experience if you've gone through similar cycles.

/mdg.

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could just create a registry set at NGC and be able to use both major TPGs. Its what I do. Both companies grade coins very well and you can find good material in both holders.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I would be looking at the populations of what coin I was in need of and determine if there is a chance I will find one in PCGS plastic and if not, go make my own. I have no problem buying coins raw, or in other plastic and trying to get them in PCGS plastic. And when I do this, I pay for and expect a lower grade in the process so that I am not paying full value for a coin that PCGS says is not the same grade. In other words I will pay 64 money for a TPG 65 graded coin. That way, I can get my money back if the grade comes in lower and does not meet my collecting requirements.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I would strongly consider cross-overs if the coin I am looking for has what I need and want. Word of caution is to be sure the coin its self has the look and problem free condition you need and want. The old saying buy the coin and not the holder. As long as you are posting on the PCGS registry all coins must be in PCGS holders. Sometimes PCGS hasn't run across any previous examples of the coin you have either in the grade or variety type yet. About 1/3 of the coins in the set I have posted is "One of a Kind" and about twelve of those were cross-overs. Not all coins will cross but as you come across the coins you like - especially when graded elsewhere you have to decide what its worth to you in the long run. This isn't a sprint to the finish. Its a never ending challenge that you as a collector decide how far you're willing to take it. Temper your goals with giving it your best efforts and you won't have any regrets in the long run. MWH imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Grade posted on 3 coins I sent in for cross-over grading, the quarter crossed at grade. It was graded NGC XF40, and it crossed to PCGS XF40. In hand the coin is nice, with trace luster showing, and I thought it was solid XF40, I'm glad PCGS agreed.

In general, went 3 for 3 on crossovers... thought I'd share

Cert # PCGS No. CoinDate Denomination Variety Country Grade
    29375048 5475 1869-S 25C USA XF40
    29375049 38063 1983 1C Doubled Die Reverse USA MS66RD
    29375050 6325 1869 50C USA XF45

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on 3 for 3!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mixed feelings on this. I`ve done both in the past, bought PCGS, for My Registry, and NGC with the intention to cross. Some good results, some, well, not so good. Now I drink the Kool-Aid and buy what I need in the right holder from the start. End of story.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy coins I need and like in any holder or raw. Then send them in "ALL" raw to PCGS. No crossovers any more more me.
  • Options
    Well, I think I'm bound to hit a statistical wall soon, but here's another coin I just fell in love with. It's an 1869-S $2.5 ... these are tough to come by in higher grade and unmolested. This coin appears very original and it has the green CAC sticker so they agree with what I see also. It resides in an NGC AU58 holder, so this will be the next one I send in for cross. I'm 5 for 5 so far this year already and even one upgrade (first upgrade I've ever gotten on a cross), so I will push my luck with a cross-over submission of this coin.

Will send it out in the next week/two, I'll keep you posted. I know this coin is not for everyone (in terms of taste) but it's really difficult to find early S mint gold that is not totally messed with.

It's not that I'm avoiding PCGS 1869 coins, it's just they are hard to find either at all or in collector grades but with nice eye appeal. I either see stunning PCGS blazers at ridiculously high prices or lower grade coins that are kind of dogs.

• Options
    Well, I'm official 6 for 6 so far this year on crossover grading so I feel like I'm pressing my luck.

I just crossed an 1875-CC 20C from NGC MS61 to PCGS MS61 (grade just posted)...now I only need one more coin to complete my Carson City type registry set. I need the Seated Liberty $1 which is big bucks in PCGS holders so I need to continue to be flexible/open and look at nice coins in all holders. I am SSSOOO psyched cause this 20C is a big cross for me. The coin looks gorgeous (PL surfaces and all) and I really wanted to see it in a PCGS holder and most importantly in my registry set image

I guess the reality is probably that outside of anomalies, if it's a nice coin, and correctly graded, why wouldn't PCGS want it in their holder...Given my recent experience with sending in coins for crossover grading (including my first upgrade on a crossover ever), my sense is that people who send in coins "hoping" for a crossover probably know somewhere deep inside that the coin is a stretch, but if you look at a coin and know that it is all there, without any imagination, I suspect the likelihood of crossing probably goes up significantly.

Anyhow, can't wait to get it back and photo it/add it to my set.

PS. While I've saved a tremendous amount of $$ so far by buying coins in non-PCGS holders (even after paying grading fees and the crossover premium), most importantly (truly!) I've been able to focus on looking for coins that I really like and want in my set (be they raw or in other plastic) instead of just settling for what is available in PCGS plastic. I also feel good that I've single handily been able to add new issues to PCGS POP numbers image
  • Options
    The lovely 1869-S $2.5G pictured below just crossed. Woo hoo. Very excited.

Interesting, out of the 10 coins so far in my 1869 Registry Set, 4 coins I bought in NGC holders and crossed to PCGS at straight grade.

7 for 7 now in total so I'm probably pressing my luck.

But to be fair, all of them are really nice coins in any event...

Can't wait to get 1869-S back from PCGS so I can do a proper image of the coin.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are 7/7, then you are doing everything right!
  • Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Big week!!

One more grade just posted. Make that 8 for 8. So psyched. This is a gorgeous eye appealing 1869 Seated Linery Dollar.

It was a nice pickup in NGC holder at a rediculously good price for the coin ($765), plus the coin looked all there.

Can't wait to get the coins back and image them.

Line # Item # Cert # PCGS No. Grade
    1 1 29420487 6962 XF45

No more crossovers in grading so fun has stopped. Back to looking for nice coins (any holder).

I would love to find an 1869 25C and 3CS.