Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Resealed wax pack question

If you open a vintage wax pack and the pieces of the gum (broken into 4 or 5 pieces) don't make a full stick when reassembled, is it safe to assume the pack was resealed? In this case, a corner piece of the gum is missing.

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    are there remnants that would equal up to that corner? crumbs, significant powder, etc?
    I've never heard or seen a piece of topps gum and wasn't full size, their quality control on that was pretty good, even if the gum sometimes sucked.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you open a vintage wax pack and the pieces of the gum (broken into 4 or 5 pieces) don't make a full stick when reassembled, is it safe to assume the pack was resealed? In this case, a corner piece of the gum is missing. >>

Resealers commonly use pieces of shattered or broken gum in cases where they don't have the correct sized gum for a particular year in an effort to fool collectors. What year was the pack?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    It was a 75 Topps football pack and no tiny pieces or powder to account for. Has correct size gum (wider stick) but I'm very suspicious because it looks like a shattered piece is missing... rather than a partial piece of gum shattered (if that makes any sense).

Sorry about size of pic.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Some of the cards got hungry and nibbled off the corner.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does seem odd. Were there any holes or splits in the wrapper? I have seen pieces of gum floating in GAI and PSA holders post encapsulation, so it's very possible that a small piece may have escaped the pack if there were an opening somewhere, especially since the gum was broken to begin with.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Can't tell anything from that tiny pic. image

But unless there was a serious tear in the wrapper where the missing chunk could have slipped out, I'd be having serious doubts too.
    I was thinking it was going to be a tiny,tiny chip missing. That is a substantial piece.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never heard or seen a piece of topps gum and wasn't full size, their quality control on that was pretty good, even if the gum sometimes sucked. >>

I NEVER had a bad piece of Topps gum!

At least not until after the first 30 seconds, after which it lost all traces of any flavor. image

Snorto~
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never heard or seen a piece of topps gum and wasn't full size, their quality control on that was pretty good, even if the gum sometimes sucked. >>

I NEVER had a bad piece of Topps gum!

At least not until after the first 30 seconds, after which it lost all traces of any flavor. image

Snorto~ >>

Come on Scott, you know that you need to shove another piece of gum in your mouth every 30 seconds as greatness can't last forever. image

I agree that missing a piece that size is not a good sign. How was the condition of the cards inside?
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Do you have a picture of the pack, specifically the back, before opening it?
    Where did the pack come from?
    What cards were inside (some members might know the sequence) , and was there anything else unusual about them (wear, wax, gum stains on cards that shouldn't have any)

The folks that are smarter than I am can use this info to help you regarding whether or not it was resealed, although right now the large missing piece of gum indicates it probably was.