Home Sports Talk
Options

WHICH ONE OF THESE 2 IS THE GREATER WORLD SERIES FEAT?

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been an observer for these past 3 months and thought it was time to" jump into the pool". Having just finished reading "BEING MR.OCTOBER", a bio on Reggie Jackson, I got to thinking of this for a topic. Vote for (and why) either Don Larsens perfect game in the 1956 World Series or Reggie Jacksons 3 consecutive homeruns off 3 different pitchers, all on the first pitch in Game 6 of the 1977 World Series. As an aside, he had hit one previously in Game 5. He walked in his last at bat in Game 5. That did not count as an at bat so technically he hit four in a row, but for this debate I am only keying in on the single game aspect. To be fair can we leave out the personality judgements of both players, and just key in on the 2 feats and judge them on their respective merits/difficulty levels. Disclaimer: I am unbiased as to both of them being Yankees, and thought this would make for an interesting topic based on their respective difficulty levels. I did have the pleasure of meeting Mr.Larsen at a card show some 20 years ago. And I understand he auctioned off his uniform some months ago from that World Series, I think to help with his Grandsons education with the proceeds.
Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

All are friendly here!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perfect game MUCH harder to do. Especially when you consider a pitcher is going against one of the best teams in baseball for that year, but a hitter could be facing a rather ordinary pitcher or pitchers.

Babe Ruth hit three in a World series game twice once in 1926 and again in 1928 and Puhols did it in 2011 and Pablo Sandoval has also done it.

Not even close.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The three home runs was three individual actions. The perfect game was 27. So the perfect game wins, hands down.
  • Options
    Mickey Lolich beats both performances.

3 complete game wins in the 1968 World Series against St. Louis.

A career .110 hitter, he also hammered a home run in game 2.
  • Options
    ..and oh...his game 7 opponent was Bob Gibson.
  • Options
    Oh how well I remember the 1968 series. As a hugh fan of the Redbirds during the 60's-80's that series loss for them was a heartbreaker for me. Even though they won the prior year versus the Red Sox. What was also tough for me as a fan was my Dad raised me as a fan of both Detroit and St.Louis. We had picked a team from each league to root for. But I always gave an edge to the "Birds". I still vividly remember Jose Felicianos rendition of the National Anthem at the start of one of the games at Tiger Stadium. Caused quite a stir among the traditionalists.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i> I still vividly remember Jose Felicianos rendition of the National Anthem at the start of one of the games at Tiger Stadium. Caused quite a stir among the traditionalists. >>

Oh yes.

My father was in St Louis on business. Company he worked for took all the managers to Busch for one of the series games. Now those are some real benefits.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mickey Lolich beats both performances.

A career .110 hitter, he also hammered a home run in game 2. >>

If you're gonna go that route, go back to Christy Mathewson in the 1905 Series.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you're gonna go that route, go back to Christy Mathewson in the 1905 Series. >>

How about Lew Burdette against the 1957 Yankees? Yankees lineup looks tougher than the '68 Cardinals and Lou pitched three complete games and gave up only two runs! Lolich's ERA was a full run higher.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If you're gonna go that route, go back to Christy Mathewson in the 1905 Series. >>

Bingo but in the other scenario I would take the perfect game.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As an aside, he had hit one previously in Game 5. He walked in his last at bat in Game 5. That did not count as an at bat so technically he hit four in a row >>

<nitpick>
    He homered in his last PA of game 5. He walked in his first PA of game 6.
    </nitpick>

The walk was a 4-pitch walk, so he hit HRs on 4 consecutive swings.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

How about Lew Burdette against the 1957 Yankees? Yankees lineup looks tougher than the '68 Cardinals and Lou pitched three complete games and gave up only two runs! Lolich's ERA was a full run higher. >>

Fair enough. I wasn't an 11 year old baseball nut in 1957 New York, though. image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I agree with most of the others ... PERFECT GAME ... and not even close.

I'm not sure if these stats are thru the 2013 season, maybe only thru the 2012 season:

3 Home Runs hit in a game: since 1922 it has been done 479 times.

Perfect Game - since 1880 it has been done 23 times.

IMO, pretty good reason to vote for the Perfect Game being MUCH harder.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perfect game MUCH harder to do. Especially when you consider a pitcher is going against one of the best teams in baseball for that year, but a hitter could be facing a rather ordinary pitcher or pitchers.

Babe Ruth hit three in a World series game twice once in 1926 and again in 1928 and Puhols did it in 2011 and Pablo Sandoval has also done it.

Not even close. >>

Agree.
  • Options
    Perfect game is great, but one hit ruins it and game result is probably the same.

3 wins though probably gets you a ring!
  • Options
    Thank you mlbfan2 for the correction. I must of been dosing off and misread that particular passage.