Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Can You Identify These Mystery Red Sox Cards?

Howdy folks. I picked up these 3 cards as part of a larger lot years ago. At the time, nobody on the Beckett boards could tell me what they were. I'm hoping for better luck this time around. These are on a thin stock. I think they're cards, but they could be stickers. I can't tell. The backs are blank white. They measure slightly smaller than "normal" cards; they're 2.5" wide x 3.25" tall. Fisk didn't break in until 1972 and Tiant's last season with the Sox was '78, so these cards are from sometime between 1972-78. Anybody know what these are?? I've tried to find them in the Beckett Almanac but I'm out of ideas

Comments

• Options
    I must be an idiot, because I can't get the photos to attach here. I've "uploaded" them, they're within the size guidelines, but when I click "attach" nothing happens. If anybody is willing to look at these and help me out, I have cell phone jpegs as well as scanned PDFs that I can email to you. thanks.
  • Options
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Dan---where are the uploaded and what are you doing to attach them ? Are you using the picture frame icon below "message text" ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll need to upload to PhotoBucket or similar image hosting site, then post as a link within IMG tags (if you're familiar with HTML) or click the picture frame icon and paste the URL. It's a pain at first, but they don't allow images to be posted directly to this board.
  • Options

These are the cards. Anybody who can identify them? I'd greatly appreciate it. And thanks a bunch Larkin for the tech help!
  • Options
    To repeat: These are on a thin stock. I think they're cards, but they could be stickers. I can't tell. The backs are blank white. They measure slightly smaller than "normal" cards; they're 2.5" wide x 3.25" tall. Fisk didn't break in until 1972 and Tiant's last season with the Sox was '78, so these cards are from sometime between 1972-78. Anybody know what these are??
  • Options
    Bump! (I'm desperate)
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    greetings! I have the #2 Yaz Master Set and it is not part of the set. Which means that it is not even close to mainstream. There were some cards put out by the Boston Globe in the late '70s but they were not color. The '78 set is the only one I have ever seen. Maybe hey put out later years in color. I would suggest checking the SCD guide
  • Options
    What is SCD? Sports Collectors Digest? Thanks for the tip, I had wondered whether they might be Globe or Herald

And if you've got the #2 Yaz master set you're my hero! Haha. I collect Yaz pretty avidly but don't have much of a budget. I have almost the entire basic set, but mostly raw. only the rookie and the '68 checklist are graded (both PSA). I have a 1/1 auto/bat and a jersey card w/ Yaz and Ted Williams. About 140 cards total. Just bought the Perez-Steele HOF postcard on eBay today. But all that's small potatoes compared to you
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    They look like team-issued photos, maybe something you'd buy at a souvenir stand.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I just read the part about the dimensions, too small to be team issued photos.
  • Options
    I'm looking through all the Globe issues in the Beckett almanac but it seems to be incomplete. They don't even list the 1978 set. And I looked at team issues too but nothing seemed to match. What is this SCD?
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about the cards, but I think it is closer to 1974-1977 range. Tiant was a little heavier by 1978, and Yaz looks a little too young to be 1978. Try and match uniform to cards. I think they had special patches in 1976 that aren't visible on cards. Good luck--they are sweet!
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    Thanks. I like them a lot. But I'd like to know what they are. Not for financial reasons - I'm fairly certain they're not very valuable. But I like to identify things in my collection. Like my 1947-66 Exhibits... I've been able to narrow each of them down to a single year or 2 year span. I'd like to learn the manufacturer and/or year of these 3 I'm posting about
  • Options
    From this site: Link

1972 - Jerseys could be the pullover alternate.
    1973 & 74 - Pullover jersey and blue cap.
    1975-78 - Red hat

So this narrows it down to 72-74. I am thinking 1972 or 73. I don't have any definitive pictures to compare with, but they seem too young for how they appeared in the 75 World Series, and I don't think they aged that much between 74 & 75.

The inclusion of the full names and nicknames tells me it may be some sort of foreign issue?
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    Wow, that's really good info! Thanks for doing the research on unis. And I hadn't considered them being a foreign issue. Might help explain the thin paper stock too. Although they have great gloss
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    You may want to contact Mike at Columbia City Collectibles. He specializes in oddball cards of all star players, and he may know this set. He has an extensive list for Yaz on his website.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Agree with Times4 that Mike Mosier at Columbia City is a great resource for odd ball issues. He lists his contact on his web site as mike@columbiacitycollectibles.com. Send him a scan of one and ask if he knows.

Also, Bob Lemke, who retired as editor of the SCD Standard Catalog sometimes posts here as AUPT. I don't know if he takes PM, but I correspond with him some and will ask him to take a look. He has a blog, boblemke@blogspot.com

Also will ask Dave Hornish to take a look. Dave also has a blog, toppsarchives.blogspot.com

Al
  • Options
    I have a pretty extensive Yaz collection with over 400 different Yaz cards from between 1960-1984. I have never seen this card in over 35 years of collecting. I feel pretty certain it's a team issue. Maybe 1978 or so. I have a very rare 1979 team issue of Yaz and I know how tough that issue is. I have the only copy that I've ever seen of that one. Surely others exists ...I just haven't seen any others. My bet is that this card falls in that same category as the Sox had lots of team issued items.
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the info. I'll contact Mike

@gosoxbosox I thought it might be a team issue as well. It's not in the Beckett almanac as such, but I know there are definitely team issues missing from there. None included from 1973, 74, 75. I'm sure there were some printed and distributed from those years.

Is it corny I'm starting to get excited about the rarity of these? A couple of you with massive Yaz collections have chimed in and said you've never seen these before.
  • Options

<< <i>Agree with Times4 that Mike Mosier at Columbia City is a great resource for odd ball issues. He lists his contact on his web site as mike@columbiacitycollectibles.com. Send him a scan of one and ask if he knows.

Also, Bob Lemke, who retired as editor of the SCD Standard Catalog sometimes posts here as AUPT. I don't know if he takes PM, but I correspond with him some and will ask him to take a look. He has a blog, boblemke@blogspot.com

Also will ask Dave Hornish to take a look. Dave also has a blog, toppsarchives.blogspot.com >>

Thanks, I'll contact Mike, but if you'll ask Bob and Dave to take a look I'll really appreciate it!
  • Options
    Probably a stupid question, but these aren't Jay Publishing, right? I've never seen those.
  • Options
    You can find a lot of Jay Publishing stuff with an ebay search

Text

Al
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    image to the board!!!

I like your enthusiasm and hope you find the answer to your quest soon. Looking forward to hearing more about your collection.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    thanks Mike, though I'm not sure my collection is all that exciting compared to those discussed on here. I only have 10 graded cards total and those range from 3-9, no 10's. I have a ton of cards from the 50's and 60's but a good portion of them are in rough shape. I have a pretty tiny budget, so I'd rather own a creased version of a card than just say "I'll never own that." All that being said, don't get me wrong, I have a few gems
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks Mike, though I'm not sure my collection is all that exciting compared to those discussed on here. I only have 10 graded cards total and those range from 3-9, no 10's. I have a ton of cards from the 50's and 60's but a good portion of them are in rough shape. I have a pretty tiny budget, so I'd rather own a creased version of a card than just say "I'll never own that." All that being said, don't get me wrong, I have a few gems >>

We have guys on here that collector all sorts of stuff on lots of different budgets. I personally have most of my sets as raw cards in binders as I like to flip through them from time to time, but we each have our own preferences which is great when sharing on a board like this.

Now will someone identify those Red Sox cards already as now I need to know too. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    Amen Mike! I'm still waiting to hear from Mike at Columbia City
  • Options
    Btw guys thanks for the awesome tip about Columbia City. Mike has a great list of Yaz items for sale in the $5 to $25 range. I know I'll be doing some shopping with him.
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

The paper cards you have are from 1974. the center spread of the Red Sox yearbook has paper cards of 27 players.
    The only difference is that yours are blank backed, in the yearbook Tiant has part of a Rick Miller action shot bunting.
    Fisk has a card of Mario Guerrero, Yaz has a card of Juan Beniquez. They may have printed some blank ones for the players to send in the mail? No doubt from 1974.

Steve
  • Options
    Steve this is AWESOME! Thanks!! Do you (or anybody else) know if these are listed in any price guide?
  • Options

Dan,
    Not sure about any price guide.
    There is also a card of Hall of Famer Juan Marichal in the yearbook.
    Wonder if there are any blank back ones of him?
  • Options
    Don't know, but that's cool. How do you know this? Do you own that yearbook?
  • Options
    yes I do own the yearbook.
  • Options
    That's awesome! Can you post a pic of the page with the yaz card?
  • Options
    There are nine listings of 1974 Red Sox yearbooks on eBay, a couple of them show pics of the cards.
  • Options
    I'm trying but my file is to big to upload.
    send me an email at strat4454@verizon.net i'll send the 3 pages to you
  • Options
    Yes, this is from page 21 of the 1974 yearbook. I just found it in my yearbook. There are 2 pages each with 9 players on it. The yearbook can be purchased for about $10 on eBay. Sorry.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Just want to say Welcome Back to Tom. (GoSoxBoSox) It's been while.
  • Options
    Thanks gameusedhoop. I'm sure I know you but dont recognize your handle. A friend emailed me for this thread thinking I could help ...as a Yaz collector.

I uploaded pictures of the cards I have.

• Options
    Thank you everybody, I appreciate the help!
  • Options
    Being from the yearbook makes perfect sense. They did include the full name and nicknames there.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    Ah, my inaugural post. The reason I'm bumping it is to ask opinions. In another 2 months or so by my estimation, I will be registering a Yaz master set. It will be pretty sad at first, but it's something I plan to build over the next 50 years. Here's the question: once I start my registry set, is it worth subbing this Yaz card and then trying to get it added to the set composite as "1974 Red Sox team issue"? Would they even grade it? Is it worth the effort to add? Looking for opinions.
  • Options
    Really? Nobody? I'm just curious: if I'm starting a Yaz master set soon, is it worth trying to get this '74 Sox team issue added to the composite list?
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ah, my inaugural post. The reason I'm bumping it is to ask opinions. In another 2 months or so by my estimation, I will be registering a Yaz master set. It will be pretty sad at first, but it's something I plan to build over the next 50 years. Here's the question: once I start my registry set, is it worth subbing this Yaz card and then trying to get it added to the set composite as "1974 Red Sox team issue"? Would they even grade it? Is it worth the effort to add? Looking for opinions. >>

No experience myself, but from what I've read; if it's not something already graded or documented in SCD or Beckett, you're in for an uphill battle even getting it slabbed. If it's a cutout from the yearbook, you'll hear a lot of b#*ching about destroying a collectible in it's own right. Registry upsmanship isn't for me, but I could see how it would focus one's collecting goals. I wouldn't think it's worth the effort unless you're sitting on a stack of them that all the top guys in the registry would have to buy them from you. No less collectible, mind you, I have lots of upgradable issues in my player collections image
  • Options
    Kyle you're up late! My card is blank backed, so it's not cut out from the yearbook, but one of the additional copies distributed by the team some other way. Somebody suggested they could have been sent in replying to fan mail. It's not in the Beckett almanac. I haven't checked SCD yet. But if it's not listed there, and therefore a hassle to get slabbed, I'll probably just decide to enjoy it in raw form. Thanks a bunch for your input.