Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Would you accept a return on a PSA graded card?? Update-Buyer wants partial discount to keep it!

Just wanted to do a quick pool and see how some of the board members stood on the subject. If a buyer says he is not happy with a PSA graded card, yet you included super large scans of the front AND the back of the card, would you accept a return?

Comments

• FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I put in my auction, no returns on graded cards. This of course is change is the case is damaged in shipping. I say no.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    yup, within a week of receipt.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's annoying, but on ebay at least, it's the right thing to do. Just refund, relist and move on.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    The last couple years I started accepting returns on ALL items with 14 days of receipt. The only exception would be concert tickets (which I only sell every so often) when I sell them within ~ one month of the performance.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    We've been through this many times before. Assuming it's on Ebay you have no choice. Ebay and PayPal gives the buyer the right to return the card whether you like it or not. All you can do is piss of the buyer if you make the process difficult and this will be reflected in the ratings and feedback he gives you. Look at the card when it comes back to see if the buyer had a valid reason to return the card. If it's not, then you can chose to block him so you won't have to deal with him again. If the sale isn't on Ebay you should still just take the card back and resell it again.
  • Yes, I would take the return and issue the refund. I would certainly try to find out the reason they are returning it, though.

If the buyer can't (or won't) provide a damn good reason, I would block him/her- and probably issue a heads-up here that others should do the same.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know you can TRY to refuse returns. Will ebay allow you to refuse them? I was under the impression that the buyer could force you to accept a return by simply claiming that he/she thought it was "not as described".

I realize that a graded card that arrives with no damage to holder should seldom if ever be returned.

My question is will ebay stand behind the buyer or seller?

My bet is on the buyer, 99% of the time.

My policy is to accept returns on all items. Other than a card that had a cracked holder from the P.O., I haven't had any returns.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I only accept returns because I have to in order to receive the discount on ebay fees. I never had to deal with a return though.
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would accept a return.
    Daniel
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Yes.
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My policy is to accept returns on all items. Other than a card that had a cracked holder from the P.O., I haven't had any returns. >>

Good policy Joe Banzai. Consider yourself fortunate/lucky you have never had any returns. I include front AND back scans of graded cards, even on the cheapest cards I have. You can enlarge those scans to larger than what the actual card is. Returns happen.
  • Why not? Always accept returns - it shows you value your product.
    Same here - no returns in 15 years.

Eric
  • Yep
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • I have a 14 day no questions asked return policy on all cards sold. I want my customers to be happy and accepting returns gives the buyer faith in you as a seller. Yes you will get the occasional return from buyers remorse, failed flip, etc and such but I find I get a lot more return buyers when they know if they are not happy they can return it, they bid and buy more. Getting the 20% discount on ebay is important to me but I was offering returns years before this so was happy they put it in as I buy lots and like to return cards I am not happy with.

I once purchased a 4 figure priced card that was a PSA 4 but after viewing it in hand it had writing on the back that was missed in the grading process. The seller accepted my return, because of that I have doubled my purchases with said seller (Davidvintage).

It's just smart business.
  • LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    Yes, always.

Matt

Good advice all. A few members here have PMed me asking me to out the buyer so they can block him. I am going to wait until I get the cards back to reveal who the buyer is.....

I will put the BINs up so people can see the cards he got, and how big the enlarged scans were.

Mars Attacks card #1

Mars Attacks card #2
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    A few members here have PMed me asking me to out the buyer so they can block him

I wonder how many of those sellers who would block a buyer for wanting to return an item have ever done so themselves, like say in a situation where they returned an item to Home Depot or Walmart for no particular reason other than that they changed their mind on the item or they bought the item in case they needed it but didn't in the end. Of course, people are free to do what they want to do, but it's poor taste in my opinion if they expect others to meet some standard that they themselves won't honor.
    Well Indy...did you even take the time to look at the two auctions I listed?? Are my scans not big enough, or would you agree that everything is OK based upon the image size and quality of the scans I provided?
  • Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The size of the photo, description, etc., is irrelevant to the picture I painted. My point is this: if a seller wants to block a buyer because they want to return an item for whatever reason, then it makes sense to me that the seller should hold himself/herself to the same standard.

I'm speaking generally here, not about you.
  • nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Yes, no questions asked, though I did block one guy who was clearly just fishing for cards to upgrade. Between eBay and my web site, I've averaged maybe one return a year for 14 years.
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Never on graded however everything else yes.Do not sell any more.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    I rarely sell, but yes, I would accept the return without hesitation. I wouldn't like it, but I'd do it, especially since eBay will force the issue if the buyer requests it. If I was a high-volume seller, I would also immediately do it simply because that buyer may remember his dealings with me in a good light and complete a future transaction with me.
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I bought a PSA graded card recently, and though I didn't return it, I did consider it. Looked just like in scan, but upon receipt it looks to float in the holder a bit more than other cards T/B, leading me to wonder if it had been trimmed. Holder showed no signs of tampering, and I liked the card so I kept it, but I think that would've been a valid return since the "float" is hard to see in scan. I still wonder, and it wasn't a cheap card. Out of curiosity, now that it's mine, if I sent for review and it turns out to be a trimmed card that PSA holdered, do I have any remedy through PSA?

While I would frown on returns, I think they're a necessary evil for sellers. While I've only ever returned one card bought from eBay, I've eaten a few that I should have returned, but the hassle of the return was more trouble than it was worth. That being said, I almost never buy from a seller that doesn't offer a return, at least on cards over say $50.

I don't sell so that's a buyers 2 cents.

Jim

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at your auctions, I find it very odd that they would want to return these cards... I mean they bought PSA 5s and those look like PSA 5s to me. You provided very clear scans. Buyer's remorse?
  • CsmontieCsmontie Posts: 184 ✭✭
    14 days after receipt works best. Keeps ratings up and customers happy. I've had 2 in the last 3 years. I just re-listed and re-sold
    Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

<< <i>Buyer's remorse? >>

Good possibility. Hard to say. He claims he already had a 'prize captive' that he paid half of my asking price, which I find hard to believe, and that his looks better than mine. Said mine had scratches on it.
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    I would accept it.
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I always do.

I think it speaks well of the seller, if the seller accepts returns.
  • if you sold it on Ebay what option do you really have. All they have to say is the item was not as described and they do not even have to explain their reason why,

Its not worth it. Just take it back, just a part of doing business on Ebay.

I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • In all fairness, the buyer may have thought these were Milton Bradley Mars Attacks cards.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would the same buyers return privllege apply for a card bought at a local BM shop, card show, or a sale through a classified ad/Craigs List where the card was delivered in person as a result of the ad, and the buyer accepted the deal? In the case of an in person transaction where the buyer throughly viewed the card and accepted it, is buyers remorse privllege extended in this scenario? If so, how many days would be a fair number to be allotted?
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • I dunno. At worst it is a PSA graded card most likely correctly graded which I bought, hopefully at the right price, and should be happy to sell again to someone who will really enjoy it, no? And I gt a customer who might come back? It happens so infrequently...to me the benefits of offering it outweigh anything else.

Eric

<< <i>In all fairness, the buyer may have thought these were Milton Bradley Mars Attacks cards. >>

In all fairness the buyer may have realized that you are an alt that takes pics of his bowel movements so PSA can kick him off.

• << <i>

<< <i>In all fairness, the buyer may have thought these were Milton Bradley Mars Attacks cards. >>

In all fairness the buyer may have realized that you are an alt that takes pics of his bowel movements so PSA can kick him off. >>

lol
  • Doesn't matter if you except returns or not ebay always sides on the buyer. Unfortunately

• << <i>I include front AND back scans of graded cards, even on the cheapest cards I have. You can enlarge those scans to larger than what the actual card is. Returns happen. >>

Moot point.

1. B&M stores allow refunds and you can obviously fully inspect items before buying them. It's just something buyers expect, especially when buying online.

2. Even the best scans, and I applaud you for offering large front and back scans on even cheap cards, may not show certain defects (i.e. surface imperfections seen only at certain angles).

It's frustrating when you've accurately described something in your listings and a buyer can file a SNAD for virtually any reason with eBay almost always siding with them.

It's also one of the many prices of doing business on eBay so, yeah, I offer a 14 day no questions asked refund policy.

Snorto~
  • vols1vols1 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Yes, PSA makes mistakes just like everyone. My friend bought some cheap PSA graded cards that turned out to be counterfeit.

<< <i>My friend bought some cheap PSA graded cards that turned out to be counterfeit. >>

Were they really PSA graded cards or did the counterfeiters fake the label?? Some of the members here are really good at spotting the fake flips, however I can see how it would be easy to fool an amateur.

• << <i>Doesn't matter if you except returns or not ebay always sides on the buyer. Unfortunately >>

True, but only if the buyer files a case within 30 days of payment. It used to be 45 days, but that has since changed to 30 since October of 2013.
    Told the buyer he could return the cards several days ago. Have not received anything yet. Based upon my own personal experience many years ago when a buyer sent the proverbial "brick" in the mail, I will be opening the package in front of a postal employee. Will let everyone know how this turns out.
  • yepper
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
    Buyer now claims that they haven't been able to go to the post office due to multiple snowstorms (which is probably true). They want me to knock $25-$30 off the card (it was a $65 card) in order for them to keep the card and not worry about the return. Any advice?
  • Have them send it back for a refund or no dice. The weather cant get any worse where I'm at but I somehow manage to still make it to the post office.
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    I would have him return the cards and refund his purchase price. I do not negotiate price with buyers after the fact.

Edit: Didn't he say he found the cards somewhere else for half price? Why would he need to keep these with "scratches" on them?
  • hell no. tell him to send it back

why would they expect a discount ?

They did not agree with PSA's assessment of two 1962 Mars Attacks cards that were graded PSA 5.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's absurd. Either return the cards for a full refund or keep them. Partial refund smells like scamming for money back, imo.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's absurd. Either return the cards for a full refund or keep them. Partial refund smells like scamming for money back, imo. >>

Agree 100% no negotiating after the fact. Ask him to return the card(s) or pay full price for them NO OTHER OPTIONS.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Will do....these are the cards in question. The main one he doesn't like is card #21. He paid more, because according to VCP, and collectors who chase the set, it is a more valuable common.

imageimage
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Joey Farino mastered the art of negative feedback blackmail and/or huge discount.