Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1857-s quarter on ebay be careful !

at first glance this quarter looks nice, but don't overlook the re-engraving in the central obverse.

link
regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything

Comments

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a really well-done repair job compared to most. Poor coin probably used to be a button.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    I remember a re-engraved 1862-s quarter (in a holder) that was proudly posted here some time ago, the owner refused to believe that it was re-engraved.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I remember a re-engraved 1862-s quarter (in a holder) that was proudly posted here some time ago, the owner refused to believe that it was re-engraved. >>

Glad to know it wasn't mine.
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch-most collectors will most likely miss it. It will be interesting to see what it sells for. Too many rim dings for me. A very scarce date, so someone will want it. You don't see very many 1857-S quarters. I am sure that smoeone will go bananas over it though.

Bob
  • Options
    unfortunately, this was common practice in the san-fran area, as far too many nice S quarters were damaged in this way
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice catch.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is obviously burnished yet they call that PL surfaces....lol.

The tooling is well hidden until they put up that 2nd obverse photo in which it just jumps out at you.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bump

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file