Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Burned by "1975 not mini"

I've been working on a nice 1975 Topps Mini set. Collecting the HOFers in PSA 7-8 and the rest ungraded. I arrived home today to a nice Gary Carter (PSA 8), Gaylord Perry(PSA 8) and Winfield (I settled on a 7 because the 8's I see listed on eBay tend to be too expensive for the card or have fish eyes - this one looked like it had eye appeal).

Anyway, turns out the Winfield is the regular issue Topps card. I search eBay using "1975 Topps Mini". So I go back and check the ad and the title is "1975 Topps Dave Winfield...not mini". Why even mention 'mini' at all? It should be understood that if you have a regular issue Topps card, it should just be listed as "1975 Topps Dave Winfield".

OK, done ranting image
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    weird listing...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Why even mention 'mini' at all?
    Because his card will now get looked at by more eyes. Not a cool thing to do ... and frowned upon by eBay.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Either the seller is a keyword spammer or he thinks that minis are crap compared the regular size cards.
  • Options
    That almost seems purposeful. Was the "not mini" highlighted in any way?
    Amateur football card seller.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a pretty common (and crappy) practice with eBay listings. You'll often see SGC cards listed as "Not PSA" and things of that nature. It's all about spamming.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Either the seller is a keyword spammer or he thinks that minis are crap compared the regular size cards. >>

Or perhaps the seller got tired of the messages when listed correctly "Is that a mini or a regular?"
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Was the "not mini" highlighted in any way? >>

It actually said "Not Mini!!!!!!!!" but I still missed it b/c I thought I was just looking at the list of 1975 Mini PSA based on my search criteria. So my fault there but still, why not put:

1975 Topps Winfield, not Pete Rose
    or 1975 Topps Winfield, not 1974
    or 1975 Topps Winfield, not Colgate toothpaste

Once you say what it is, there's no need to mention what it's not. Not a huge deal anyway, it was a 7.99 card. Just a hassle to have to return it and needed to vent.
    Daniel
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    Without knowing who this seller is to verify--but another reason could be if he usually lists a bunch of "mini" issues, but had one or a few "non-minis" listed that he wanted it to be clear to all the "mini" buyers, so he put it in title. However, I would think using the word "Regular" would make more sense than "Non-Mini" in the title (unless he truly wanted to keyword spam for more views).
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It actually said "Not Mini!!!!!!!!" but I still missed it b/c I thought I was just looking at the list of 1975 Mini PSA based on my search criteria. So my fault there but still, why not put:

1975 Topps Winfield, not Pete Rose
    or 1975 Topps Winfield, not 1974
    or 1975 Topps Winfield, not Colgate toothpaste
    >>

It's not allowed, but some sellers still do stuff like that.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    If you don't want the card, I would suggest contacting the buyer, explaining what happened, and returning it. eBay would almost surely back you on this and could take action against the seller.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    I am as disgusted by the false-promo listings as anyone, but this one doesn't bother me at all. It's not as though minis command some kind of premium. The guy could have done it better, but it doesn't look like some kind of scheme.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Same reason sellers put "Not PSA" in the title....to get as many looks as possible.

I have purchased a reg one when it said Mini in the title too. Seller gave me my money back and it was painless
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    When you reach out to the seller tell him that you'd like to return the card
    because it's not a mini.

Good for you.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭✭
    Keyword spamming...and on this one I don't blame Feebay one bit for strictly enforcing that one. For example, if were able to say for example:

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr RC not Topps Donruss Fleer Score

1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr RC equal to Jeter Arod of 2014 2013

Or if you was to sell a vehicle:

1985 Ford F-150 not Chevy Dodge Toyota Nissan runs like 2014 2013

Allowing these things to happen would just make a total mockery of the search feature.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My new fav: 1978/1979 Sportcaster Non-Tobacco
    Link
    You couldn't even fit one of these in a carton of smokes.