Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Atlanta ANA shortened by one day...and then has weird hours...WHAT?

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
LINKY

So back in September they voted to kill Sunday.
Then I notice Thursday does not even open until 1:30, closes at 5:30.
Friday is 10-5:30
Saturday is 10-4.

People have been calling for the elimination of Sunday for a long time so I get that but why make everything else so complicated?
Why the different hours every day?
They clearly are just trying to make it difficult for people to attend.
If you take Sunday away, make the other days have the same hours...10-5 or something like that.
Who came up with this stuff?

Maybe it is just me but I think it seems a bit ridiculous. image
Anyone have different/other thoughts?
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incentive to get your business done quickly. There may be conflicts with the auction.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keyman64:

Did you also get the press release about how you have to walk in to the convention in different ways on the different days? Skipping on Thursday, walking backwards on Friday, and crab walking on Saturday.

Mark

• Options

<< <i>Incentive to get your business done quickly. There may be conflicts with the auction. >>

Sure, I guess but FUN doesn't have this strange stuff going on...
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

<< <i>keyman64:

Did you also get the press release about how you have to walk in to the convention in different ways on the different days? Skipping on Thursday, walking backwards on Friday, and crab walking on Saturday.

image >>

Hahahaha.

I'd imagine Thursday would be a slow day, Friday alright, and Saturday would be a good day. It seems like they're choosing hours for the most activity.

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>keyman64:

image >>

That might be a challenge for the aging demographic! image
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the dealers all promised to remain setup all the way through Saturday?
  • Options

<< <i>Have the dealers all promised to remain setup all the way through Saturday? >>

Good question. Saturday normally starts clearing out at bigger shows on Saturday afternoons. I wonder if they will stick it out to stay until 4PM.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Atlanta ANA shortened by one day >>

Good. It's about time.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealer set up is 8am ......

So the dealers will cherry pick each other for 5 1/2 hours, do 85% of their business and blog they had a great show.

But you can be a part of it for early pass ( cost $100 ).....well sort of........they let you in at 11:00 am.

Actually the best part of the show are the seminars taking place Tuesday and Wednesday.....image
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    I never realized that they were charging admission. I wonder what that will do to Friday visitors
  • Options

<< <i>I never realized that they were charging admission. I wonder what that will do to Friday visitors >>

But parking is free. FUN show entry was free but you had to pay $9 to park.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. No matter what hours/days they decide on, somebody is going to complain.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never realized that they were charging admission. I wonder what that will do to Friday visitors

As an ANA member - free admission, free parking - sounds like a good deal to me.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like more of a Baltimore show schedule.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    Havent you ever read a show report? By 4:00 its time to get hammered

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Incentive to get your business done quickly. There may be conflicts with the auction. >>

Sure, I guess but FUN doesn't have this strange stuff going on... >>

It would if attendance started to fall.

You see, promoters of Coin Shows (including the ANA) believe that its the dealers which are the heartbeat of a large show. The more dealers that fail to show up then the fewer attendee's that show up.

Look at the Santa Clara Coin Show which PCGS used to sponsor. It was ine of the largest in Northern California yet about 6 years ago, attendance started dropping. Then Dealers started dropping. The attendance went way down and finally dealers simply refused to go.

PCGS dropped the Santa Clara Coin Show which has since been picked up by another entity.

ANA has a difficult time pleasing all the people all the time and eventually, they'll simply cut some venues completely out of the picture which only makes business sense. If folks really do not care for this then they need to join the ANA, let their opinions be known and most importantly, attend the freaking shows.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Just skip all the drama and kill the entire show ...

They killed Sunday because so few dealers were around on Sundays. Now someone has remarked that dealers often clear out Saturday afternoons. Since Saturday is the new "last day" it's only a matter of time before Saturday isn't worth attending at all. Eventually they'll kill Saturday, and Friday will be the new "last day." The cycle repeats.

Let's just skip all the drama and kill the entire show. And not just this show, all the non-international mega shows. It will force people to buy from their local and regional B&Ms, which is usually who attends the smaller shows anyway! Why pay hundreds of dollars per show for a table? Why pay for travel and lodging? Just sell direct to the consumer via website. Or consign your stuff to the B&Ms in the towns where you used to convention. The consignment fees will be less than the expenses of doing the convention!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Hi everyone,

Just a quick clarification on the "weird" hours for this show.

Generally, show hours are 10 to 5:30 p.m. on weekdays, 10-4 on Saturdays, and we dropped Sundays a few years ago (I've been with the ANA for a little over two years, and we've never had Sunday hours during my tenure).

Unfortunately, we had some scheduling issues with the Cobb Galleria Centre for Atlanta when the site was first selected. The building is booked during the first half of the week, which is why we have the late start on Thursday. Believe me, we'd much rather have our usual hours that everyone is used to having, but in this case the availability just wasn't there.

As for Sunday -- well, that's a long-running debate in the entire industry, with both sides presenting very passionate arguments for why there should or should not be Sunday hours. I'd cheerfully recommend that you contact members of the board to express your opinion on that matter. Contact info for each board member is available here
    --------
    Jake Sherlock, ANA staff member
    Member, TEC
  • Options
    I guess I am just used to the FUN shows.

Anyone know if Heritage Lot Viewing will be available prior to the 1:30PM Show Opening on Thursday?
    At FUN shows, lot viewing is always available prior to the show opening and I tend to take advantage of that.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know if Heritage Lot Viewing will be available prior to the 1:30PM Show Opening on Thursday?
    >>

Yes, Lot Viewing starts at 11 a.m. on Wednesday and continues Thursday morning before the first auction session at 1:30 p.m. You can find a full schedule of events for the show here
    --------
    Member, TEC
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone know if Heritage Lot Viewing will be available prior to the 1:30PM Show Opening on Thursday?
    >>

Yes, Lot Viewing starts at 11 a.m. on Wednesday and continues Thursday morning before the first auction session at 1:30 p.m. You can find a full schedule of events for the show here >>

Thanks Jake, I had not found that.
  • Options
    Happy to help! Hope to see you in Atlanta.
    --------
    Member, TEC
  • Options
    I have availability to fly in early on Thursday and fly out in the evening the same day and was thinking about doing it but with the 3.5 hour delayed start and my lack of interest in paying for early bird, I question if it would even be worth it.

It is still strange to me that Heritage Lot Viewing is available at 8:00 AM on Thursday and there are tons of other things going on during the week outside of show hours but the show cannot open doors until 1:30 PM, 3.5 hours later than normal. Yes, I understand that portions of the venue were booked etc....but then, why was this venue selected if it did not meet the normal hour requirements of the show. Odd to me.

So the schedule says earlybird opens at 11AM....they want to cut hours for the show but still charge money for early bird at the expense of those wanting to attend and then also possibly at the expense of the dealers? It sounds like some people should be waking up earlier that day to just MAKE IT HAPPEN rather than cut 3.5 hours from the show on Thursday. Or they could do away with early bird because they booked the wrong venue and just let everyone in at 11:00.

Some shows would like to be considered on par with the level of FUN but they never will due to simple things such as this. All of the little things add up in my opinion.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi everyone,

Just a quick clarification on the "weird" hours for this show.

Generally, show hours are 10 to 5:30 p.m. on weekdays, 10-4 on Saturdays, and we dropped Sundays a few years ago (I've been with the ANA for a little over two years, and we've never had Sunday hours during my tenure).

Unfortunately, we had some scheduling issues with the Cobb Galleria Centre for Atlanta when the site was first selected. The building is booked during the first half of the week, which is why we have the late start on Thursday. Believe me, we'd much rather have our usual hours that everyone is used to having, but in this case the availability just wasn't there.

As for Sunday -- well, that's a long-running debate in the entire industry, with both sides presenting very passionate arguments for why there should or should not be Sunday hours. I'd cheerfully recommend that you contact members of the board to express your opinion on that matter. Contact info for each board member is available here >>

Dealers need an incentive for sticking around on Sunday's.

Why not give it to them at say "half priced tables"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>keyman64:

image >>

The last time I crab walked was in boot camp while smoke grenades were going off and someone was shooting at me...I don't want to have to go through that again.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file