Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Japanese guys? 50 sen?

Got these from my dealer today. They appear to be VF-AU, a few really nice, crisp pieces with mint luster. 4.9+ grams each.

Confirm what they are? Any pieces particularly rare? Thoughts?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are late Taisho (1922-26) and early Showa (1928-38) 50 Sen. Nothing particularly rare in those years in that condition unless you see a 1938 (Showa 13).

Those are the last silver 50 Sen before they became base metal during the war.

FYI they are .720 silver (0.1146 oz. ASW).
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They are late Taisho (1922-26) and early Showa (1928-38) 50 Sen. Nothing particularly rare in those years in that condition unless you see a 1938 (Showa 13).

Those are the last silver 50 Sen before they became base metal during the war.

FYI they are .720 silver (0.1146 oz. ASW). >>

Awesome, info pruebas! Thank you so much!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭
    There is a Taisho 13 (1924) in the group. Good luck finding the '38. Those are cool coins.
  • Options
    Now that I'm on the iPhone, I can post Japanese characters....

This is the scarce year (remembering that pre-war Japanese was written right to left):
    年三十和昭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooo, I need to figure that out on my phone. Cool!

Here is a go-to site for Japanese coin dates: lioncoin

and a bit from my 2012 JNDA catalog.

It's my favorite Japanese coin...the 'hoo bird' or phoenix is a symbol of the Imperial House (mostly the Empress if I understand correctly). One thing I read was that the Ho-o and the Dragon are either mortal enemies or lovers. Conflict or wedded bliss. Hmm.

I like the bird.

• Options
    Thanks!
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1929?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    1922?

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SUPER Cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options

<< <i>Both years are correct.

If I ever need to reference a year, I use this site.

http://www.allcalendars.net/JapaneseYearConverter.php >>

Thanks!
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    You're getting good at this. We'll make a Japanese coin collector of you yet! image