Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sending in previously PSA-graded cards for review?????

Preface: I am just stating my individual thoughts here which are based entirely upon conjecture.

Hoping to garner a "bump?"

Is this whole process not an irrational exercise? Not purposefully discounting the intended mission of PSA..... but what does an employee (i.e., grader) have to gain by basically admitting to a mistake (their own or their colleague's)? This is the primary reason for my belief that it is best to "crack" out any card I want reviewed. Whether acting intentionally or not, I don't believe any grader would lean toward admitting a "mistake." Just thinking out loud ... I have no facts to back up my opinion here. Has anyone on the board had any luck in bumping previously graded PSA cards?

p.s. I hope this post doesn't land me on "Orlando's List." image

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had some good success in getting bumps, even from psa 9 to 10. The key is to really scrutinize and cherrypick those cards that are truly high end for the grade. I don't believe that a grader thinks about admitting a fellow grader might have made a mistake. Especially since it is a service that psa offers and all cards graded a certain number are not equal and I believe the graders are cognizant of that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Based upon the registry rating system, PSA considers 9OC to 8.5 (or 7.5 or 8 for that matter) to be a bump since they deduct two points for qualifiers. Am I correct? If so, with an old label 9 OC at the lower end of the 9 centering range, would you recommend sending it in for review slabbed or cracked in an attempt to get a bump to 8.5 or 9?
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I have had some success bumping cards by review. On average, I have bumped three out of 10. All the cards were well centered and high end for the grade.
    I've found that they are more than willing to throw you a few bumps, they don't appear to treat it as "correcting a mistake".
    If you are talking about your Garveys, assuming they are all high end 9s (and none have that black line in the left margin), I'd definitely give it a shot
    Sending in ten garvey 9s for review would cost you maybe $70, doing it twice is $140, but still a very cost effective way to obtain a 10
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭

<< <i>Preface: I am just stating my individual thoughts here which are based entirely upon conjecture.

Hoping to garner a "bump?"

Is this whole process not an irrational exercise? Not purposefully discounting the intended mission of PSA..... but what does an employee (i.e., grader) have to gain by basically admitting to a mistake (their own or their colleague's)? This is the primary reason for my belief that it is best to "crack" out any card I want reviewed. Whether acting intentionally or not, I don't believe any grader would lean toward admitting a "mistake." Just thinking out loud ... I have no facts to back up my opinion here. Has anyone on the board had any luck in bumping previously graded PSA cards?

p.s. I hope this post doesn't land me on "Orlando's List." image >>

I agree with your points 100%. After carefully examining 15 choice vintage cards for perfect centering, corners, regis, no pd or other potential Q's, I ended up disillusioned that I blew my 15 freebies and got only one bump that went from a 7 to a 7.5. That is a costly mistake I won't repeat. Crack and sub raw gives you a better chance.
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I've had the best luck having cards reviewed that were graded before implementation of the .5 scale. I have some in those pre-.5 grading holders I in fact plan to submit for review.

Matt
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sending in ten garvey 9s for review would cost you maybe $70, doing it twice is $140, but still a very cost effective way to obtain a 10 >>

Spot on advice.

It is not correcting a mistake.

IMHO, 9's vs. 10's on vintage is pretty subjective - they just need that something special to get over the hump. Finding/seeing that minute, positive difference is the subjective part, particularly when staring at cards all day.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Great advice fellas. And Matt, you are spot on in that I am thinking about my Garveys. NONE of which has the dreaded ink line on the left nor the blue spot in between his legs. I recently, subbed several of these Garveys and was stunned that not one garnered GEM. Thanks again for your valued opinions gents. If the grade doesn't fit, you must resubmit. LOL Props to whomever first stated this quote. Bobby