Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Topps football two-pack rip, and a Super Bowl foreshadowing?

Did a small 2-pack rip last night of 1984 Topps football. First time posting rip results with pics, so bear with me. No scanner, so I'm afraid my iPhone photos will have to do. Was the first pack a Super Bowl foreshadowing as well? You'll see what I mean image.

First pack had a tiny tear below the G in GUM, no biggie.

Back of the pack. Notice to the right of the symbol of the running person it says, "Say No to Drugs". I remember in the early to mid 80s you saw that slogan everywhere. Not too often these days, though.

First card exposed is of Richard Todd, in a Saints uni no less. He had some good seasons with the Jets, even got them to the AFC title game after the strike-shortened 1982 season.

No great shakes in this pack, but I did get a few interesting ones. Got a nice Harry Carson and I also liked the one of Al "Bubba" Baker when he was with the St. Louis Cardinals. I grew up in that area and remember him as a very good defensive end. If anyone watches the show Shark Tank on ABC, Baker appeared on there a few weeks ago, touting his patented brand of BBQ that would be sold in the freezer section of the grocery store.

When I collected as a kid, I always liked cards of the conference championships and the Super Bowl. This is the first card that made me wonder if the pack results were a Super Bowl prediction for this year. I had to read the back of the card to remember that the Raiders jumped out to a 27-0 lead on Seattle.

Furthering the prediction conspiracy, I also pulled two Broncos from this pack but no Seahawks. Rick Upchurch was an amazing punt returner in his day, probably underrated too. He tied the all-time NFL record for most lifetime punt return TDs with 8 (since broken by Devin Hester of the Bears).

Second pack.

First card exposed is the Washington Redskins team checklist. In 1983 they ripped through the league, setting the NFL season record for points scored (since broken), before stumbling in the Super Bowl. The scores shown on the card indicate how dominant they were in the regular season.

Got two more Cardinals in this pack, including Ottis "OJ" Anderson. Always thought he was a good RB and I was happy for him when he finally earned a ring with the Giants.

A couple of other decent ones, including the Chargers team checklist with a pic of TE Kellen Winslow.

The best was saved for last, this one was near the end of the pack image. Really nice one of Marino. Many of the others from these two packs have centering issues but not this one. The part I circled has a defect, a bump protruding out a little. I'm not entirely sure how that kind of defect affects the grade. Hope you enjoyed this mini-rip and a trip down memory lane.

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing the rip and congrats on the nice Marino IA. I always enjoy 1984 Topps breaks...lots of stars and rookies to be had. Hopefully your first pack is foreshadowing.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I actually stopped buying football cards after 1982 until just a couple of years ago. I did continue buying baseball cards from 1983 through 1989. As such, I enjoy when I can rip some of the 80s football I never did as a kid.
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I hope you pack is a good predictor of the Super Bowl winner as well.

I grew up a Jets fan and Richard Todd was about as good as it got, but he was no Namath. Of course, I'm not sure Namath was even as good as Namath when he played if you know what I mean.

That Harry Carson card looks really nice. Thanks for fixing the links and for sharing your rip!! image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope you pack is a good predictor of the Super Bowl winner as well.

I grew up a Jets fan and Richard Todd was about as good as it got, but he was no Namath. Of course, I'm not sure Namath was even as good as Namath when he played if you know what I mean.

That Harry Carson card looks really nice. Thanks for fixing the links and for sharing you rip!! image >>

I think A.J. Duhe just picked off another Todd pass in the Orange Bowl..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope you pack is a good predictor of the Super Bowl winner as well.

That Harry Carson card looks really nice. Thanks for fixing the links and for sharing you rip!! image >>

Yeah, I forgot at first that I had moved some of the pics to another Photobucket folder image. The Carson and Marino cards are probably the best two in terms of star power and overall condition.

<< <i>I think A.J. Duhe just picked off another Todd pass in the Orange Bowl.. >>

Doh! image I remember that game was just a total mud bath.