Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opened my 81 topps vending box form BBCE tonight

So today was birthday so I decided to open some vending for myself.

I was really disappointed with BBCE 81 vending box , not only was ever card dinged or creased but it seemed like the vending box was had already been looked through. Cards were going back to front all over the place etc , etc upside down

a bit disappointing to say the least.

I have been having some bad luck as of late.
I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !

Comments

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry about the results.

Celebrate your birthday by turning on your PMs! I could not respond to the message you sent.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Was it sealed as "from a case"? Did you noticed a pattern of the cards in the box of dark-light striping before removing the cards.
  • MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Vending can of course be a crap shoot with extreme differences in quality even within a case. As an example, you could find corner boxes within a case to exhibit more corner wear than a box nestled safely somewhere in the center of the case.

I have opened boxes with patterns similar to what you note; those boxes seemed legitimate to me. The key, as one poster noted, is to assure there is that nice crisp and packed tight vending pattern when the box is opened. If that is not present, that should send off an immediate alarm as it is pretty much impossible to duplicate that distinct pattern in a repack.

Advice I always give is to buy a very cheap box of vending and observe the pattern. Take the cards out and put them back in the box. Odds are you will not be able to fit all the cards back in (most vending boxes clock in around 520 cards, not 500) and you will be unable to repeat the pattern.

Matt
  • PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭

<< <i>Cards were going back to front all over the place etc , etc upside down >>

I don't think this is that unusual. I cracked a vending box of 1986 Topps during the summer with my 7 year old son. Every card in the box was upside down compared to the other one. The results were pretty good. 3 Fielders, 1 Gooden, 1 Mattingly, 1 Mattingly All-Star, 2 Gwynns, 2 Bretts, 1 Ripken.

So doubtful this was picked thru.

• << <i>Vending can of course be a crap shoot with extreme differences in quality even within a case. As an example, you could find corner boxes within a case to exhibit more corner wear than a box nestled safely somewhere in the center of the case.

I have opened boxes with patterns similar to what you note; those boxes seemed legitimate to me. The key, as one poster noted, is to assure there is that nice crisp and packed tight vending pattern when the box is opened. If that is not present, that should send off an immediate alarm as it is pretty much impossible to duplicate that distinct pattern in a repack.

Advice I always give is to buy a very cheap box of vending and observe the pattern. Take the cards out and put them back in the box. Odds are you will not be able to fit all the cards back in (most vending boxes clock in around 520 cards, not 500) and you will be unable to repeat the pattern.

Matt >>

it looked tight and that familiar pattern of what a vending case should look like , except for the left side.

the left side did not have those distinct stripe patterns , it looked jumbled like someone took the cards out and flipped through them and then kept the pattern of the cards along the middle and right side .

it was a bit disappointing especially coming from bbce.

• oh pms turned on
  • fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure BBCE will chime in but my understanding was that they only sold vending boxes from sealed cases.
    I remember reading that they had purchased some 1968 vending boxes as part of a deal and ended up opening the boxes themselves rather than try and sell them because they could not guarantee the boxes had not been tampered with.
    Vending is always a crap shoot. I have opened great boxes and terrible ones. Did you get star and semi-star cards?

Robb
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sure BBCE will chime in but my understanding was that they only sold vending boxes from sealed cases.
    I remember reading that they had purchased some 1968 vending boxes as part of a deal and ended up opening the boxes themselves rather than try and sell them because they could not guarantee the boxes had not been tampered with.
    Vending is always a crap shoot. I have opened great boxes and terrible ones. Did you get star and semi-star cards?

Robb >>

I do not believe this is the case. I have bought vending boxes from bbce in the past both with and without the "from a sealed case" designation on the sticker.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.