Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Seller - Tracked down stolen cards deal completed A+ to this seller

I just wanted to update everyone that the seller of the cards I posted about tracked down the stolen cards, kept me apprised of the situation as it developed, and utilized this forum in recovering the cards that were stolen from his mail box along with all the others he had stolen at the same time. He is an outstanding seller who definitely is well worth dealing with. If he'll have me, he has earned a customer for life and I want to let everyone know what a top notch person he is. I will encourage everyone to check out his auctions and state that you would be in good hands in dealing with him. The cards look even better now that they reside in my collection.

Drew

Amazing seller : aronbenabe

Ebay Auctions Link for aronbenabe

(LOT-OF-2-RARE-LONDON-DRY-EXHIBIT-CARDS-HOFERS-STAN-MUSIAL-RALPH-KINER-AWESOME )
Collecting Musial, K. Boyer, Simmons - The Cardinal Years, & vintage cards

Comments

• Options
    That sucks but there is really nothing you can do about it. He may be telling the truth, and he may not be- but either way you're not getting the cards you want. You can neg him if it would make you feel better in some way, but that's about all you can do.

If it were me, I would just accept my refund and note that I will never purchase from that seller again.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Whether the seller's story is true or not, you can only speculate. Probably best to take your refund and move on. Over the years I have heard several stories, after winning a card a great price, as to why the seller can't get me the card I won and paid for.

"You won't believe this but I dropped the card while packaging it and the PSA case cracked and I know you don't want a cracked holder so I am sending you a refund"

" Sorry but I spilled my drink over the card you won and damaged it so I am sending you a refund"

"I seem to have lost the card you won and therefore can't send it to you"

"I put the card out for auction by mistake"

Fact is that many regular auctions are not closing at the prices many sellers expect and that is why there are more and more BINS and reserves. Like you, I feel if sellers put cards out for auction they should uphold their end of the deal. If you don't want to deal with the seller again, eliminate him/her from your bidding. They probably lost out on a good bidder.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I have only experienced "my kid ripped the cards in half" and "my dog ate the cards".
  • Options
    I say give the seller the benefit of the doubt. Contrary to what some think, things or mistakes do happen. I once had an autographed card that was a somewhat tough signature, had it listed on ebay at a BIN price for awhile and it went unsold several times. Decided to send it to auction and let it ride. Card sold and I shipped. Then one day after relisting a bunch of unsold stuff in bulk through ebay, the card mistakenly got relisted and sold again. When I saw the end of auction notice I immediately realized what I had done and contacted the buyer sincerely apologizing. He cussed me up and down, called me a liar and everything else in the book. Funny thing was, the seller cussing me had won the item for almost twice as much as the previous guy.

Then the guy posted on a message board complaining about the situation and basically how I didn't want to sell it to him because I didn't get enough for it, which like I said, I would have gotten almost twice as much from this buyer. Then ironically, the guy who originally won the card posted on the same board and showed the exact same card and told the second guy how little he paid for it.

So basically what I am saying is, stuff happens and honest mistakes do happen so I would give them the benefit of the doubt until you see reason not to believe them. How many of us have heard about delays in shipping because of a medical issue? Probably all of us. It's funny how many people will call BS on something like that but the truth of the matter is, people do have medical issues, sometimes serious ones. Plus at the end of the day, though we all enjoy baseball cards, it is in fact just baseball cards and having or not having that card is not going to change or effect your life much.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a sad state when people automatically assume that they're being ripped off. Perhaps if you gave him the benefit of the doubt you wouldn't feel the need to rant(?). Reverse the roles here, if you could guarantee that a scenario like that could not happen to YOU, well then by all means accuse away.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    the seller seems content with listing everything as auctions and taking the 99 cent hit on some of them, so it doesn't seem logical that he would isolate one auction for the dissatisfaction of a lower than expected return.

it also seems possible that a guy in Los Angeles would be susceptible to thievery. that path to riches is fraught with danger once the envelope leaves your hands.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My inventory isn't as organized as it should be. I have made this mistake a few times with low dollars card (<$10) - sold card I didn't have, lost the card, or sent the card to another bidder - so I wouldn't immediately brand him a liar.
    Mike
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Who leaves mail (especially high value mail) in a "mail slot" accessible to the public?
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who leaves mail (especially high value mail) in a "mail slot" accessible to the public? >>

Postal carriers do it all the time. image
  • Options
    I received my refund - Guess I just need to watch for cards or similar ones to surface at auction again.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who leaves mail (especially high value mail) in a "mail slot" accessible to the public? >>

I live in a rural area with the mailbox on the road. I NEVER put ebay items in there to be sent. I always bring them to the P.O. even though it is a 8 mile drive.

Why not eliminate the possibility of theft on your end, especially on rare or high priced items?

In the above example this seller (if telling the truth) is risking a negative and possible loss of at least one customer, because he chose not to bring the items to the P.O. himself.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Leave him a positive with a short message that says, "Seller had cards stolen and refunded immediately".....that way, if he is telling the truth, he gets a positive on resolving the situation, if he is lying, then you get the story out there in case he pulls it again
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    Update 11-17-14. Seller tracked down stolen cards and they are now housed in my collection. Positive feedback has been left for him and I would recommend him as a more than top notch seller.

Drew
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news! I hope the thief is being prosecuted.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Did he share his story of how he solved the case? If so could you share it with the board? Sounds like he's a good ebay seller and a detective.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    +1 for the home team.
  • Options
    I highly doubt he tracked anything down. Never would I deal with that guy .
    I edit almost all my posts because my auto correct is crazy !
  • Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Very glad it worked out for you. I don't know how he would track down cards taken from his outside his door unless perhaps it was someone in the area, or maybe USPS messed up. Anyway, kudos to him for making it right for you and glad they are now part of your collection.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I highly doubt he tracked anything down. Never would I deal with that guy >>

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but why do you feel that way? The seller's feedback is impeccable, and he did a good turn for a board member.

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I highly doubt he tracked anything down. Never would I deal with that guy >>

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but why do you feel that way? The seller's feedback is impeccable, and he did a good turn for a board member.

Nick >>

+1

Would love to hear the story...