Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Great Way to End the Day

For the handful of you that have been following my What's a Grand Getcha Game thread, you'll know that I'm taking thousand dollar blocks and trying to put together 5 to 7 rookie cards with at least one representative from each sport. I'm almost done with round 5 and just need a hockey card to complete it. I have been targeting a Messier rookie but I'm having a hard time finding one with the grade I want at a price I'll pay that doesn't have wonky/diamondy left to right centering issues. I've been searching eBay for over seven weeks and have tried the BST board with no success. Oddly enough, last night I found a few on Amazon which shocked me. I reached out to a seller to get a pic but again PSA 8 came back with wonky left to right centering and a bum corner. I'd pretty much given up for the time being and decided to start building round 6. Found a really nice 57 Drysdale with less than 13 hours remaining on auction. I forgot to submit a bid but woke up early enough to the auction with 30 minutes remaining. Put in my top bid of 207.05 and was immediately outbid so I rolled over and went back to sleep. I woke up to find that it closed at 207.13...ouch...beat by eight cents, which I'd gladly have paid. At least that's how it feels. Obviously I could've continued testing the waters, but who knows how far that would've taken me to win,but this is the reason I prefer BIN. The anxiety and unknown is crushing when you lose. So that's how the day started...bleh. But not giving up on my Messier hunt, I went back to eBay this evening...and lo and behold, a newly listed Messier PSA 8 without the wonkiness, at a better price than budgeted and BIN!!! Done!!! Round 5 complete and to be posted on arrival.

A solid end to a bleh start.
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    Just curious, what grade was the don drysdale?
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    A decently centered 7
  • Options
    Hi Vintagefun, it sounds like you're doing great and having fun along the way, so good for you. Just because that Messier auction closed at .08 higher doesn't mean that you would have gotten it for 9 cents more. You never know how much people's max bids would be, you only know the next bid above yours that won it. Does that make sense? I'm not explaining it very well. Anyway, you did good by losing that one and finding a better on today anyway so it all ended well for you. Thanks for posting about your quest!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi Vintagefun, it sounds like you're doing great and having fun along the way, so good for you. Just because that Messier auction closed at .08 higher doesn't mean that you would have gotten it for 9 cents more. You never know how much people's max bids would be, you only know the next bid above yours that won it. Does that make sense? I'm not explaining it very well. Anyway, you did good by losing that one and finding a better on today anyway so it all ended well for you. Thanks for posting about your quest! >>

Totally agreed. It just looks like 8 cents but I could chased it all the way to 250. Or maybe just maybe it only took a dollar more. That's why I prefer BIN. Just quote a fair price and let the first serious buyer take it. Maybe that's just a buyer perspective. I don't need a great deal, just a fair one. Anyway, the card I lost was a 57 Drysdale. The card I was searching for and finally lucky enough to find was the Messier. End of day lesson is that patience pays off and I'm sure another Drysdale will come along.

Thanks.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on the pickup. This continues to be one of my favorite threads on the board. I look forward to seeing the results of each round. Glad I could help you out with one of your cards in the last round. This seems like a lot of fun and I may even give it a try soon. Which round has yielded your favorite group of cards? Maybe you can put up a thread with the results from your first 5 rounds and we can get a vote from the board on our favorite rounds. Good luck and keep posting your results
    Steve