Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NewP - 1923 Germany hyper inflationary notgeld (emergency money)

I have 2 examples of the 500 million mark notgeld but just had to get this set of 3 - 1923 Germany hyper inflationary notgeld (emergency money)

1923 Germany 50 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

1923 Germany 100 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

1923 Germany 500 Million Mark notgeld

imageimage

About the coin/s: Kienast K-644 - Ruhr & Rhein German people's offering 1923.
Obv. Legendless. Central design is Prometheus chained to a rock with an eagle picking at his liver.
Rev. Legend: DEUTSCHES VOLKS-OPFER RUHR u. RHEIN 1923 50 MILLIONEN MARK (German people's offering Ruhr and Rhein 1923, 50 million mark). Central design is an eternal flame.
On the edge: NOTGELD (Emergency money)* incused.
In addition to the above there are 2 other coins with the value of 100 million and 500 million mark, respectively.
Struck - 33 mm in diameter. The 50 million value in brass. The 100 million value in white metal or silvered bronze. The 500 million value in gilded metal. Designed by the famous German medalist Karl Goetz.
trozau (troy ounce gold)

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Those are great coins Trozau! I would have had to pick them up too for the Prometheus motif. Very cool obverse!
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are great coins Trozau! I would have had to pick them up too for the Prometheus motif. Very cool obverse! >>

Thanks! image

The story of Prometheus is among the most fascinating in Greek mythology. Stealing fire from the gods and giving it to mankind to help them progress and be punished for it by being chained to a rock to have an eagle pick at his liver. Being an immortal, he had to suffer this each day, recover at night and go through it all over again. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    That's some real garbage, that is. No wonder we ditched those Greek gods and now we just keep them all locked up in our coin cabinets. image