Home Sports Talk
Options

The winner is...No No Yankee

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Summer on 1977, I was in New York to attend a Jewelry show with a close friend who I worked for.

We were both harness racing fans and decided to see some action. We grabbed a program for the year old Meadowlands track as well as the New York venue (probably Roosevelt). It was the middle of the week when the purses were lower and I mentioned a misprint to my friend. The purse for the race said $280,000. I figured they added an extra zero in error.

We headed to Jersey that evening. The event was the inaugural Woodrow Wilson pace for 2 year olds. The purse amount was correct. No No Yankee won the race (I bet someone else). More interesting to racing fans, Falcon Almahurst, a much better horse, did not make the final and won the consolation race.

Never been to a Super Bowl or a World Series, but for about $3 admission that night, I witnessed an historic event.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    And just think ... to date that was the largest prize ever awarded in Harness Racing ... and only THREE YEARS later that race had a $2,000,000.00 purse!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    In comparison, the top weekly race at a major track was hitting about a $12,000 purse at the time.

Meadowlands was at the top of the heap and probably had a $30,000 Saturday Invitational.
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Summer on 1977, I was in New York to attend a Jewelry show with a close friend who I worked for..... >>

Hmmmmm, that was 'The Summer of Sam' (stealing the title of Spike Lee's movie about it).......were you in the Bronx or in that area after the race? Carrying a .44 cal, by any chance??? (j/k)
    I'll come up with something.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Summer on 1977, I was in New York to attend a Jewelry show with a close friend who I worked for..... >>

Hmmmmm, that was 'The Summer of Sam' (stealing the title of Spike Lee's movie about it).......were you in the Bronx or in that area after the race? Carrying a .44 cal, by any chance??? (j/k) >>

Nope, I had a part time postal job at the time. image
  • Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hmmmmm, that was 'The Summer of Sam' (stealing the title of Spike Lee's movie about it).......were you in the Bronx or in that area after the race? Carrying a .44 cal, by any chance??? (j/k) >>

Nope, I had a part time postal job at the time. image >>

Ahhh, postal employees don't mess around with a 6 shooter, they much prefer automatic weapons. Looks like you're in the clear!! lol
    I'll come up with something.