Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I saw the strangest slab - NGC Palestine Holyland Token

Last week I saw a really odd item. An NGC slabbed MS61BN Palestine Holyland Token.

The thing is basically a fantasy piece. A tourist souvenir that no one really knows who issued it, when, and for what purpose. You can read more about it here:
http://www.drberlin.com/palestine/token.htm

I found it very strange that NGC would slab such an item, wouldn't you agree?

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some grading companies grade tokens and medals.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Desslok I have seen the holyland souvenir token slabbed prior. As you probably know, there is a strong collector base for Palestine Mandate coinage and notes, which this falls under.

Our own MarcMoish has one of the better if not the best collection of these.

LINK TO SET
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey z thanks - that collection is going into CICF in April ..I've had these for many years, and want to give others a chance at it besides the need for some liquidity now...

desslock - its not that strange really - its the first item listed with Krause under palestine, and somewhat collected..personally I agree its a fantasy and Howard Berlin writes correctly about it origins and what not. There is for sure a market in this item.
    oh and welcome to the darkside.
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hey z thanks - that collection is going into CICF in April ..I've had these for many years, and want to give others a chance at it besides the need for some liquidity now...

desslock - its not that strange really - its the first item listed with Krause under palestine, and somewhat collected..personally I agree its a fantasy and Howard Berlin writes correctly about it origins and what not. There is for sure a market in this item.
    oh and welcome to the darkside. >>

WOW!! Superb set, marcmoish. Hard to believe there's a 100 mil to trump this 1927. image

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware, both NGC and PCGS will slab any coin listed in the Krause "Unusual World Coins" book of fantasies and other unofficial issues, and these "holyland souvenir tokens" are included in UWC. So both NGC and PCGS will slab them.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
    omg Mac I don't know how you enlarged it with such clarity but idk if I want to sell it nowimageimage

been one of my keepers for so long now - in an older 66 holder - probably a lock 67 ...once HA gets it processed I'll make a mention here about it ~~

<< <i>omg Mac I don't know how you enlarged it with such clarity but idk if I want to sell it nowimageimage

been one of my keepers for so long now - in an older 66 holder - probably a lock 67 ...once HA gets it processed I'll make a mention here about it ~~ >>

It's one of the 1927 100 mils which PCGS selected for a Trueview shot. Found it looking at the pop reports (select World). Anyway, sometimes whether you pay for a Trueview or not, PCGS will select exceptional coins for their CoinFacts Library which they are building, and feature it. Anyway, I simply cut/pasted the image location info.

Good luck with the sale, and HA's image will likely not compare to the TrueView quality shown here ..........
    unfortunately! image
    Another tip, replacing the "2200" in the image link with "large" will not "explode" your monitor.... image

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marc perhaps ask HA to use these images?
    Hey Mac..thanks for the info...

Zohar IDK if HA ever uses "other" images but heck it worth asking ~~
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 100 Mils coin is friggin' amazing. AMAZING!!!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• When I saw strange slab and Holyland I thought of these I picked up from mad marty
    in one of his charity auctions

A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what the confusion is about. IMO, anything stamped "historical coin" can't actually be a coin because of the way it refers to itself. The phrase "holyland" furthers this point, as there is no official place called "holyland."

I have had a couple "unusual" items returned to me but generally I must agree that ATS and our hosts will slab anything in Krause if they can identify it accurately.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE