Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Euro currency and coins

Has any Euro currency or coins been demonitized yet?

Also, will a US Bank exchange euro coins too?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has any Euro currency or coins been demonitized yet? >>

Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Banks won't exchange the coins image
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    None has been demonetized. A new 5 euro bill was introduced last year and a new 10 euro bill will be issued later this year but the older ones remain valid.

Bulk lots of coins on eBay seem to do well.

Dennis
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some things out there that look like Euro coins, but are not. Some are privately made, in the name of countries that were not at the time Euro members. Others, I still haven't quite figured out, but they are not of the right size/format.

The point is, just because it says "EURO" doesn't mean it's real money. Be careful.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just because it says "EURO" doesn't mean it's real money. Be careful. >>

Be careful!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has any Euro currency or coins been demonitized yet?

Also, will a US Bank exchange euro coins too? >>

'kat, I cannot answer the second part of your question. Here's my take on the first part.

There's been widespread talk about stopping the production of 500, and 200 euro notes, but nothing concrete has been voted yet.
    I'm thinking that maybe this is the time to acquire a unique Y prefix (=Greek) gem 200 note, because if they indeed stop its production it will become very valuable.
    On top of the rest, all the notes from 50 and up, have been minted with prefix Y for Greece only once, in 2002 at the introduction of the euro,
    because the Greek engraving Bureau is not equipped to print these notes with 18 security measures, so they are already collectable
    as they are signed by the 2002 ECB director Duisenberg. Even the 5 and 10 euro notes with Duisenberg signature (and Y prefix) are selling for a premium in unc now
    that in my experience will only become bigger as time goes by, and unaffordable in the case of 100,200 and 500.

The only note that has seen a new design, has been the 5 euro note, but so far, both notes are in circulation.

As far as coins, nothing has been demonetized, given the wide variety of ethnic designs, and the additional commemorative 2 euro coins at face value minted almost each year.

If I'm not mistaken, the euro countries are now 17 with the recent addition of Latvia, so yes, beware of the "pre euro sets" of countries that have applied but haven't joined the euro countries yet.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for all the responses-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I picked up a set of these as a novelty.

Lithuania '04 Euro Proof
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    I gave up collecting euro's in 2002. I couldn't find a dealer that paid attention to printer codes.
    Here are some comments from my 3/26/02 notes.
    Greece was the most fascinating country, since they seem to have a lot of help from other countries.
    Besides Greece minting their own coins, they had Greek euro coins made in France (mintmark F), Spain (E) and Finland (S).
    These notes show the Bank of Greece (code N) printing 5, 10 and 20 Euro notes.
    Additional note printers for Greece were F (Austria), G (Netherlands), (P Germany - Giesecke & Devrient), and R (Germany - Bundesdruckerei).
    At that time I showed no 50, 200 or 500 euro notes for Greece.
  • Options
    If anybody is interested in euro notes, here is an article for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro_banknotes#Printing_works

The new series notes will not show the issuing country in the first letter of the serial number.
    Instead it will show the printer. Some printer codes have been changed including Greece.
    Prefix Y will now mean printed in Greece rather than issued by Greece.
  • Options
    According to these ECB statistics:

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/euro/production/html/index.en.html

Greece has never ordered any euro notes higher than 20 euros.