Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My (Perhaps) Favorite Taler (With Better Images)

I have had the best 2 weeks in my relatively short collecting experience. It was a combination of both "strategic" and "tactical" decision making involving online/offline/buying/selling and rotating towards better pieces. I finally figured out where I need to go with this and have a much stronger grip on scarcity/quality tradeoffs.

Once I get the rest of the pieces inhouse, I will post an all inclusive thread to better explain what the relevance of each piece is to the core collection. Specifically, this one came in and I feel even better about stretching for it. It is a choice piece for the type which I never thought would pass my way coming out of a Swiss Museum collection liquidation. I was so anxious about this one, I did not trust my online connection for the CNG live auction and headed over to the Waldorf to personally get this done.

So here goes.

1569. Salzburg. Johann Jakob Khuen von Belasi (1560-1586) Reichsguldiner. 40mm. 24.68g. Popken, Salzburg 1041 var. Probszt 575. Very scarce early type seldom found in such condition. Comes in a much cruder form compared with 17-18th century types. Mint luster still visible under toning. NGC MS-65.

From the Sunflower Collection, MoneyMuseum, Zürich.

Other attempts at imaging this. Hopefully better.

Comments

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    WOW!

And you said this was deaccessioned? I can see why it was a museum piece. Look at the quality!

My Mom bought me the World Crowns and Talers reference book you recommended to me a few months ago for Christmas, by the way! So watch out, I will be snatching up these pieces from under your nose before you know it!

(Haha, not really. But I would like to add a Taler or two to my collection!)
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's quite amazing, Z!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar - this coin looks better in your image than it did in CNG's. If I had known, who knows how things would've transpired???

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    desslokdesslok Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    Amazing. Numismatics is referred to as the "Hobby of Kings", and this coin is a clear example of why it is. Truly a coin worthy of a King's collection. Minted in 1569 and grades MS-65? Where has it been it for the last 445 years? Have you got a time machine?
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting piece. Do you agree with the grade that ngc gave it? (I have no idea how to grade these) And did this specific grade have much weight to your value or view of the coin, compared to say an ms64.

Im always amazed at the age, quality, and history that you are able to acquire and thankful for the information you share.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome piece Zohar. Picking this one as a favorite amongst the rest of the collection certainly distinguishes it from elite company.

p.s. - I chuckled at the time machine comment from desslok. Expect a visit from the feds soon once they figure out that you have this technology.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks much guys for the kind words. I don't think my image captures the look this has in hand. I will try again.
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is (perhaps) a really nice taler. image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excellent pickup Z. >>

Perhaps.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Congratulations Z!

While reading your description of the planning and provenance I could feel my pulse quicken.

I eagerly await your post on the historical background.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another WOW addition to your stable - man that is an incredible piece !
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Zohar you continue to impress me with your coin collection and collecting knowledge image
  • Options
    Played around with camera. Hopefully a better capture.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A truly magnificent coin Zohar.
    For you to be able to consider it amongst your favorites, possibly the most favorite, speaks volumes.
    You have such an extraordinary collection I know I would find it to be very difficult to even begin to pick a favorite from your collection.
    I'm very happy for you that you had a great couple of weeks.
    I look forward to your thoughts on the subject of scarcity vs. quality tradeoffs.
    I suspect it's an aspect of collecting that all of us work through.
    Its certainly something I think about, though I haven't quite found my exact path just yet.
    My logical mind wants scarcity but my eye goes to attractiveness and quality.
    When all three align - I usually can't afford it image

Congratulations again!

JC
  • Options
    JC - thank you so much. It means a lot.

Thinking through your very relevant points, it has been a continuous, logical, evolution in my approach to collecting. I started this quest in 2008 accidentally running across a "Taler" on vcoins. The seller was gracious enough to take in trade the mixed bag of entry level/lower grade coins to work with me through the sticker shock in buying an XF/AU Taler. Since that time, I have been continuously reading/learning the subject matter while watching auctions and write ups, as well as, more importantly, listening to other collectors/dealers views and incorporating these into my own collection plan. Over time I have gained enough conviction to "know" what is a good piece and what is a great coin without fear, in many cases looking at budget after the purchase. I often find myself offloading many lower grade pieces from my original collection to fund much higher quality pieces which is validation of that confidence/conviction regarding the right next move.

Actually the person that got me progressing along the Taler sphere was worldcoinguy on another entry level forum - opening my eyes to the broader Taler theme and such knowledge transfer also benefitted me in his friendship. Upon coming over to this forum, it has been people JCMHouston, MarcMoish, 2K, Syracusian, Silvereagle and other very knowledgable and friendly folks who shared their own views and experiences. Listening to people more experienced than yourself regardless of collecting theme accelerates the learning curve and avoids unneccesary mistakes.

More recently, EVP, has "forcefully" pushed me towards higher grade coins with the rule of thumb - "do not buy a coin you can easily replace with a higher grade, and don't ignore a superior coin due to price, as it will most likely appreciate more rapidly than more available coins, and may not be available again for quite some time". Clearly some coins are not available in mint state or even in AU. Until this coin came along, I would have definitely pursued a lower grade problem free sample as this is not easily replaceable. With more common types, you are far better off simply pursuing the higher grade and eye appeal at the getgo, as you yourself did with the MS-65 8 Reales with such nice eye appeal.

So the answer is quality first and foremost relative to scarcity. Eye appeal trumps technical grade for me. I do not get attached to any of the coins, and easily part from them for a worthy upgrade.

Hope I didn't bore you all with this long winded response. Good night.
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohar, great summary of your thoughts and sage advice regarding paying attention to those on these boards who have been, and continue to be, willing to share their knowledge.

You're 100% right with regard to the benefit of keenly observing the knowledge and actions of those who have honed their collecting skills, regardless of that person's particular collecting interests, and then applying those same processes to ones own collection. Despite the fact that we all have our own area of focus for collecting it absolutely doesn't mean that the thought process and advice of an experienced collector/dealer can't be applied to what we, as individuals, are interested in. I think as a new collector it can be hard initially to see that, but I certainly have already found benefits from this course of action.

Thanks again Zohar, and it was anything but boring.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>More recently, EVP, has "forcefully" pushed me towards higher grade coins with the rule of thumb - "do not buy a coin you can easily replace with a higher grade, and don't ignore a superior coin due to price, as it will most likely appreciate more rapidly than more available coins, and may not be available again for quite some time" >>

Great advice from EVP, thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I struggle with this one.