Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Finished my SHilling Type Set

Picked up the final coin tonight for the set, the S-2577 1590-92 Elizabeth I shilling.

The rest of the set is here, although I need to reimage many of them.

Comments

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful collection & congrats!
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Omg, I'm glad I didn't bid on this either. I was so tempted. This is the ChAU piece, right?

EVP

Edited to add that at the NYINC show I saw two nice E1 shillings. One was a gorgeous raw piece that looked very choice, but the dealer wanted $2200. The other was, I think, in the SB auction.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Yes, that was the AU one. I originally planned this set to be one for each monarch that issued shillings, it's grown a bit as I added some varieties and a commonwealth piece. All the early ones would be considered "collector" grade, but some are pretty tough, for example the 1723 SSC with French arms at date. It's a decent Vf, but also the finest graded at the two major TPG's.

I considered bidding on the one at SB, but I thought it would go way to high based on the insert, rather than being priced just for the coin. As it turned out I think it was somewhat of a bargain. A GEF in British grading and it was under $3k, if I could have been online that day I would have probably run it up a bit from there.
  • nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    JCM, very nice collection and congratulations on finding your last piece.

I am working on an English penny collection for myself and my daughter, mostly because it is about the only affordable denomination that extends back to the beginning of English coinage. Well at least the 11-1200's for me that is. Even then it is hard to find nice pieces, so I appreciate the work that you have put into the collection. I really admire the Elizabeth I pieces because they are hard to find in all denominations without the portrait being obliterated in my experience.

I look forward to seeing more of your collection.

Cheers
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Nice even look to that piece. You finished the set in style.
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JCM - that's a wonderful set!
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In style is right ... pat yourself on your back!
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great set, hard to pick a favorite...
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Congrats on finishing the set.
    I took a look at your website - quite an impressive collection. Your Phillip and Mary shilling is very nice.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Splendid set- I just had a peek. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.