Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I went overboard tonight at HA

I was really hoping to spend 2 or 3 thousand maximum to pick up some overlooked goodies. Then I spotted some major pieces that I had been wanting for a long time. So, I chased them. Here are the notables:

I've seen this piece in hand; I already have a very nice William III 6d, but this is so darn pretty that I had to have this too:

imageimage

I don't recall this George II 6d as well (I've seen it in hand too), but I'm pretty sure it was also spectacular:

imageimage

This 3 Gulden was an impulse buy (because I lost out on the 1G in 66). It has very nice eye appeal, despite the flat face. For the price, did I really go wrong?

imageimage

And, the next three are what I've been wanting for a long time: very nice MS large Russian coppers. I've wanted them from the moment my ex-wife showed me her stash of old Russian Imperial coins. Circulated, but handsome as heck!

This first coin stalled during bidding at $1400, and I was so hopeful. Then it slowly crept up -- to my utter dismay. Still, I'm seldom to get another opportunity to get one as nice as this.

imageimage

The Siberian 2K went for a little bit less than I feared I'd have to pay, so for that I am grateful!

imageimage

The Siberian 5K isn't as high of a grade as I prefer, but it has the eye appeal of a keeper coin. Thus, it becomes a keeper coin! image

Unfortunately, the price kept creeping up and up on this too. Oh well. You only go broke once. (I know, I know -- that's not really true!)

imageimage

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Love them all, esp the Russians. Well done.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. As I was emailing my ex-wife to tell her about my bad behavior tonight (she'd have disapproved of my expense, even though she approved of my hobby!), I realized that I think I won the 3 nicest large copper lots that were pre-19th Century.

There were some very nice Imperial 5K lots graded MS63. They seemed to be very good value compared to how much I paid for the 65. But, if you want the ultimate in quality, you have to be prepared to pay. Last year, I made a vow to acquire a very nice Imperial 5K in gorgeous 63 (because it was a nice compromise between quality and price). I guess I chose quality OVER price tonight.

EVP

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them all as well, but I have to say I'm a little partial to the 1740 6D and the 1784 5K.

Though right now you feel like you might have gone a little overboard, these coins will really help to scratch that new coin purchase itch we all get from time to time.

JC
  • Options
    BTW, can someone please tell me how I can post the pictures below ATS? I was able to do so with the CNG pictures from 2 weeks ago, but I can't seem to do so with these. I guess the URL is a bit funky for over there.

Or -- please just post for me. Include my entire OP and say I'm an IT person who is too stoopid. image

EVP

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a complete type set of the Siberians - and it took me about 15 years to complete - the problems were the polushka and the denezhka - they are darned near impossible to find in a collectable grade. Really like your Russians!
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Very cool, you have great taste!
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff EVP. Well done.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only six coins? EVP, I am impressed by your self-discipline!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>Only six coins? EVP, I am impressed by your self-discipline! >>

No. There were more that I'm considering selling. These are just the keepers.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. There were more that I'm considering selling. These are just the keepers.

That's our EVP!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very impressive purchases EVP! That stuff is all in my wheelhouse. English and Russian! Siberia is impressive.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really great looking newps! Congrats!
    -Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Does the mortgage company mind you using this month's payment for coins?image Nice choices.
    Paul
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

<< <i>Does the mortgage company mind you using this month's payment for coins? >>

Time for another bailout!!!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Siberia pieces are really tough that high end..man you scored big time - I love the 5K the most - look at the wreath and fields on that reverse.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. As I was emailing my ex-wife to tell her about my bad behavior tonight (she'd have disapproved of my expense, even though she approved of my hobby!), I realized that I think I won the 3 nicest large copper lots that were pre-19th Century.

There were some very nice Imperial 5K lots graded MS63. They seemed to be very good value compared to how much I paid for the 65. But, if you want the ultimate in quality, you have to be prepared to pay. Last year, I made a vow to acquire a very nice Imperial 5K in gorgeous 63 (because it was a nice compromise between quality and price). I guess I chose quality OVER price tonight.

EVP >>

I love the 5 kopek.....what did it hammer for?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>I love the 5 kopek.....what did it hammer for? >>

Not sure which one you're asking about... The Imperial 5K hammered at 2.2, and the Siberian 5K hammered at 1.6.

It's really too bad that the prices kept on creepy upwards. It was slow -- felt like an eternity watching it unfold before my eyes. So many times the lots would almost close, then get a new bid at the very last millisecond. Arghhhh!!! image

EVP

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure which one you're asking about... The Imperial 5K hammered at 2.2, and the Siberian 5K hammered at 1.6. >>

It's cool to quote prices like 2.2 and 1.6 because everyone just assumes you mean "million". image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I love the 5 kopek.....what did it hammer for? >>

Not sure which one you're asking about... The Imperial 5K hammered at 2.2, and the Siberian 5K hammered at 1.6.

It's really too bad that the prices kept on creepy upwards. It was slow -- felt like an eternity watching it unfold before my eyes. So many times the lots would almost close, then get a new bid at the very last millisecond. Arghhhh!!! image

EVP >>

Thanks, I had to go back and look at the lot pictures to determine which one was Siberian and which one was Imperial, but then I know very little about kopecks or Russian coinage for that matter.image

It seems the high grades are inching up in price though.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    OD - it felt like that many zeros to me. image

Bidask - the quality pieces seem always to go up in price. That's why I tend to shoot for the quality pieces whenever possible because I know the next time around I'll probably end up paying more even after factoring in general cost of living inflation.

EVP