Home Sports Talk

Biggest NFL draft busts?

MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
Subject of some talk radio the other evening.

Some names to consider.

Ryan Leaf.
Tony Mandarich.
Matt Leinart.
Andre Ware*
Art Schlichter.

He was a hometown bust when I resided in Detroit.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2007 #1. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    Ryan leaf. Hands down.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Other than Ryan Leaf JaMarcus Russell is close behind.

But is Ryan Leaf a bigger bust? Russell's numbers in the pros were marginally better than Leaf's but Ryan Leaf was the 2nd pick. JaMarcus was the first overall pick in a draft weak on QB's but overall one of the strongest draft classes in recent times. But when Ryan Leaf was drafted the other QB available (and many projected to have less upside than Leaf) was Peyton Manning. It's worth a discussion.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I consider Leaf the bigger bust because of how he behaved and where he wound up. I think Jamarcus just got fat and avoided jail
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian Bosworth?

I remember how he got run over, flattened and absolutely pancaked by Bo Jackson when he tried to tackle him.

He did not have a long career in the pros and left to become an actor in a number of B movies in Hollywood.
  • Eric Swann
  • Russell was a bigger bust than Leaf. First overall pick and $31 million signing bonus compared to second overall pick and $11 million.

Russell not only failed completely in Oakland, he is also the Sam Bowie of the the NFL. In 1998 any team with the second pick would have taken Leaf. In 2007 a lot of people thought Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas were the best players available
  • lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I remember how he got run over, flattened and absolutely pancaked by Bo Jackson when he tried to tackle him

SanctionII -- Bosworth may not have played up to his potential, some of which due to injury, but if you look at the replay of Bosworth vs. Bo, he certainly did not get flattened or pancaked. Jackson hit him at the 2 yard line and rode him into the end zone. Lesser backs have done the same to greater linebackers.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Just looking at the last 13 years of the first round only of the NFL draft: the low lights -

Packers 2001, DE Jamal Reynolds, 10th pick overall, played in 18 games, lowest of any first Rd pick that year.... complete bust.

Lions 2003, WR Charles Rogers, 2nd pick overall, played in 15 games, caught 36 balls, made millions. Bust.

Arizona 2006, QB Matt Leinert, 10th pick overall, has played in only 33 games, thrown 15 TDs, former Heisman winner but an NFL bust.

Raiders 2007, JaMarkus Russell 1st overall pick, 31 games, 18 TDs, made something close to $30 million, or a million a game. Bust.

Hon. mention Packers 2007, DT Justin Harrell, 16th pick, played in 14 games over 3 years. Always hurt in college and in the pros.
    Worst first round pick ever of GM Ted Thompson.

Raiders 2009, D. Heyward-Bey, 7th pick, 72 games, 12 TDs receptions. Was supposed to be a vertical field threat, better as a blocking WR.

Broncos 2010, Tim Tebow, 25th pick overall, currently out of football, played in the second least amount of games of any first round picks
    from this draft. Former Heisman winner, never developed into an adequate pro passer 48% comp. pct., helped get his head coach fired in Denver.

Jags 2011 QB Blaine Gabbert, 10th overall pick, 28 games, passer rating of 66.4, 5-22 W-L record. Awful NFL QB. Looking to be a
    full blown bust in 2014.

Packers 2011, OT Derek Sherrod, 32nd pick, has only played 12 games in three years due to injuries, I guess not a bust, but an oft-injured player.

Browns 2012, RB Trent Richardson, 3rd pick in draft, traded early in 2nd season to Colts, where he looked like the worst RB in the NFL. Would have been cut by the Colts already except they traded many high draft picks for him and won't cut ties... yet.

How about this disaster?

Dimitrius Paul Underwood, 29th player taken in the 1999 draft. Tried to quit during training camp and keep his signing bonus. Ended up with the Cowboys. Played a total of 19 games with 4 sacks and 15 tackles.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Todd Moranovich (SP?) Oakland Raiders. Wow Oakland has had a few busts!!
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russell was a bigger bust than Leaf. First overall pick and $31 million signing bonus compared to second overall pick and $11 million. >>

Math FTW!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
    Tony Mandarich #2 overall in 1989, just ahead of Barry Sanders, Derrick Thomas and Deion Sanders.